Is Your State Making You Fat???

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You have it all wrong. Obesity is causing the pollution, because obese people can't walk very far and so they have to drive everywhere!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm in houston. The fattest city in america.

'MERICAAA, EFF YEAH
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I was thinking of visiting a friend in the States - so glad I saw this post first. It's extremely polluted where she lives. It's really not worth the 5 lbs I will likely put on while visiting her.

But baby I already told you I'd help you burn those lbs off if you came to visit me!

I'm sorry. This changes everything. You will have to come to Canada now. We have negative pollution here, you actually start losing weight the moment you breathe your first breath of Canada.

I just had the best idea ever. If anyone wants I will gladly package and ship fresh Canadian air for a decent price.

Negative Pollution?!? Wowsers, how does that work, Canada does suck, but the hot air your blowing has to offset that and cause some pollution...
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't know why you think this is solid information. It is sad that you are making this correlation. I live in Detroit, where the economy is bad. Based on this you are asking people to move away from us since we are a "fat" state. This will further reduce the tax base and make it harder to survive. Less jobs. Housing market will get worse. Businesses will continue to close. And it is all funny to you. Why are you taking food from my family? Why?

Homer, obesity and pollution are no laughing matter.

I believe the economy might actually improve if everyone moved away from states like Michigan and went to fresh-air states. Industry would be consolidated and the economy would start moving faster because all the economy things would be closer together. It's only logical.

Good luck to you and your family!

ETA: I do not know much about the economy, so this could be wrong.

Your logic is flawed. If everyone moved closer together and we condensed industry together, the pollution would rise and thus causing the population to balloon up. Then everyone would have to move again. Your theory turns the country into a binge and purge caravan. A mix of fat and thin roamers, wanderers, vagabonds. Call it what you will.

It's pretty obvious by your statements that you hate fat people.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Check out this science:

This is the part I am going to take issue with. Learn how science works before you blaspheme its name.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's not about location, it's about culture. And I'm pretty sure there aren't roaming bands of Paula Deans all over Georgia shoving butter down everyone's throats. You can make good or bad choices anywhere and if you really want to take charge of your life you can better your situation and maybe ask for help if you need it...

Actually, there pretty much are. So much access to fried foods and sweet tea. It's hard to stay conscious of your eating choices.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my state is making me fat. Pollution and obesity just go hand in hand. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    This is absolutely groundbreaking. It also tends to explain why countries like France and Germany are beginning to see a rise in obesity as well. They're finally catching up to our technology and are using more pollutants and are therefore getting more obese!

No... they are ahead of us in technology, at least Germany is. I had an ISDN phone in Germany on a residential plan back in the mid 90s. You couldn't touch completely digital phones with any remote amount of affordability in the United States back then, and in many areas still can't.

Public transportation is on time and plentiful in Germany, people are way more active because they walk more. But they are catching up to us in terms of culture, being more car-dependent and eating more similarly... giving up their custom of the mid-day meal and light supper for more Americanised eating patterns.

Thanks for the laugh though.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

But more to you're research... ****in A... finally something NY has right.

Yeah, living in NY is making me a lot of things, pissed off and poor top the list. At least it's not making me fat, I did that all on my own :tongue:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    As I read this I get an email about today's HPA...

Guess I will gain weight today?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You should move to Canada Naomi. In my bedroom. There's no obesity in my bedroom.

NOOOOO Naomi you would only get it once every 6 months!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Remember, only a few participants are for the nhanes obesity reports/cdc are gathered from the mobile exam center, most are self reported. Last time they had the mobile set up for Florida it was above Jacksonville, near Georgia. Parked at a Walmart next to Mcd's.

Excellent point, I really appreciate the extra context, but that was surely not the only one in the state.

Unfortunately it was 2 years ago. I selected but was denied when I got there and offered to report by phone. Waste of a drive. Oh well.:)

I ate 50lbs of lead shot and participated in that study. I thought the lead would help me win, but some of the other contestants registered higher weights =(

Please don't give up! Find your motivation and try again! We believe in you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not the smog making people fat, but it's the fat people who ride more cars making the smog?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    2-3 slices of pizza for a dollar in NYC is not macro friendly.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    We are fat as a nation because we eat too much processed food, expect our portions to be supersized, and don't move our body. Colorado use to be the healthiest state but even it has moved up to the <25% category. Go to the cdc.gov website and check out the maps for the trends from way back. And we are passing our bad habits on to the rest of the world.

Colorado also legalized recreational marijuana use (Colorado Amendment 64, an amendment to Article 18 of the Colorado state constitution) so there are many correlations we can make there about the use of this drug and the effect it has on food consumption. I don't believe that this has any effect on the ratio of clean air in Colorado to the consumption of food in that state.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research lately into what exactly causes this huge obesity epidemic. So many people these days are overweight and you know that it cannot just be due to thyroids and lack of desire. Almost all the overweight people I know say they want to lose weight! AND YET THEY DON'T.

So I went into research mode, and I found some seriously shocking things. For instance, the states with the highest amount of pollution and smog are almost exactly the same as the states with the highest rates of obesity. Check out this science:

mtvc1Po.jpg

H0Gb8KE.jpg

There are a few exceptions, but overall, the areas are really similar and this discovery is seriously ground breaking, I know that most of my friends have never considered moving to get away from obesity-causing pollutants, but I have been telling everyone about this since I discovered it.

So what about it? Do you live in a state that is making you fat? If you do, would you consider moving?

this is BS.
    automobile usage contributes to majority of the pollution,the lesser people use automobiles,the more they use their hands,legs and *kitten*,hence they weigh lesser.duh.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Pennsylvania filled me full of butter and sugar for 30 years and forced me not to exercise!

I just blame it on the Amish. :laugh:

Just kidding though... but their baked goods are amazing.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Remember, only a few participants are for the nhanes obesity reports/cdc are gathered from the mobile exam center, most are self reported. Last time they had the mobile set up for Florida it was above Jacksonville, near Georgia. Parked at a Walmart next to Mcd's.

Excellent point, I really appreciate the extra context, but that was surely not the only one in the state.

Unfortunately it was 2 years ago. I selected but was denied when I got there and offered to report by phone. Waste of a drive. Oh well.:)

I ate 50lbs of lead shot and participated in that study. I thought the lead would help me win, but some of the other contestants registered higher weights =(

You did not! According to my friends in political positions it was because I wouldn't help the cause for more government $ on obesity to go to Florida. Be quiet and make my eggs!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    source of the map?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily disagree that it is definitely easier for those with cushy lifestyles to afford higher quality food, etc. Then again, those with high paying jobs probably work a LOT to make that kind of money and have LESS time for working out and being active. The bottom line is this. You can lose weight even if you eat Doritos, or not so healthy food. You just have to monitor what you're taking in, and eat less. If you can afford steak every meal, or baked chicken with steamed vegetables every meal, you STILL have to monitor.

So a person's salary will not dictate their size. It might make it easier, but EVERYONE is responsible for themselves. I agree with the individuals saying "I MADE ME FAT." Exactly right. Period.

MONITOR YOUR EATING AND EXERCISE. Period.
    The first graphic is problematic because of the lack of population in the states that are not showing much weight gain. Of course Wyoming is going to show fewer tons gained over the year than New York. There are also economic reasons why some places have more obese people than others. Obesity is more prevalent amongst poor and working class individuals.

Sure, you've got your odd Kevin Smith and Chris Christie types, but if you look at the $100k plus a year salary folks, the obesity rates fall in 26% range with the poorest Americans suffering an obesity rate of 32% or more.

This makes me wonder, what do the rich have that the poor don't?
    1. Adequate health care. This could be a huge factor.
    2. Less stress
    3. Vacation (see #2)
    4. Access to better quality food
    5. Time to prepare food
    6. Time and ability to afford "healthy" activities

I think that if this was indeed the case, then to solve the obesity epidemic we must first solve the growing wealth gap in the US. You want fewer fat people? Then give the poor an opportunity to earn decent wages on just a high school education.

I agree with IIFYM, but maybe pollution has a say in that as well. I mean, maybe you should have less fat in your diet if you live in a more polluted state, just because the pollution can already skew your body toward fat.