Fat shaming in the media

Options

Replies

• lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree most of these ads are offensive, but I don't understand how the Oatmeals one is... its stating caloric value. That's not fat shaming.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see a problem with most of those ads. But the Ashley Madison one and that scale at the bus stop made me groan. Is the scale supposed to embarrass fat people to stand instead of sitting? And who the heck thinks it's acceptable to cheat on a spouse just because they're overweight? Either leave the relationship or encourage healthier habits for your spouse.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Growing trend? As in growing for the past few decades? LOL
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    It's not anything new, I don't know where you've been..

The bagel/oatmeal picture - I saw nothing wrong with it. What I did see wrong with was the caption that said "the last thing we want while walking down the street is to be shamed for our breakfast choices." Um, seriously? Oh yeah. I forgot, everyone wants to be coddled. Better to bury our heads in the sand rather than know how many calories are in what we are consuming. (Although, I love bagels and everyone should eat them)

The tired of being fat & ugly pic - That's been going around the internet. It's funny. Sorry, not sorry.

The scale bus stop - You don't have to sit on it... And this may sound bad, but maybe if people were standing a little more, it'd be a move in the right direction. Just saying.

The PETA pic -" Another one of PETA's misleading ads. According to their ad, being thin, fit, and sexy is the only way to love your body, and the only way to be thin, fit, and sexy is to go vegan. Essentially, what they're saying is that everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies." Um, PETA has an agenda and it's not worrying about fat people. Of course they're saying everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies, everyone else is eating tasty meat and they're against that.

All of the other ones, yeah they're "offensive" if I let billboards and ads offend me.

I could not agree more! And it goes both ways. I've been treated badly or bullied for being thin so....
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would prefer not to give extra attention to body shaming, of any kind.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmxzkmiMYD1ql03t9o1_250.gif
    Not new. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The only ones that made me roll my eyes in annoyance were the PETA ones... but who takes them seriously these days anyway?

I actually liked the one with the lines on the body "going for walks on lunch hour / cooking healthier meals", and the oatmeal sign. Those types of things are motivating to me.

The e-cig one just made me laugh, especially at the model's description of the "eerily believable sexed-up look on her face"... as if BBWs can't get sexed up? Please. :tongue:

However, that first one is disgusting not because of the fat-shaming, but because of the concept itself. I do not condone any form of "affairs" -- if you want to have an open relationship, fine. I do. But open communication and acceptance by BOTH parties is crucial for that sort of arrangement to work.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    people who are thin are shamed all the time!!!

if you workout, eat healthy and look good as a result:

"they must never eat, i just want to feed her a cheeseburger". oh, i'm sorry i'm not as fat as you!

i am all over the anti-oppression movement, and lately, many that champion this have been jumping aboard the whole fat awareness trend. honestly, being fat IS unhealthy. if marketers try to make money off of us getting healthier, I don't see it as being really all that bad. I would much rather have a scale in my bus stop then a mcdonalds ad in my bus stop advertising chicken mcnuggets to my kids!

we shouldn't make people feel bad for who they are period though...that i agree with!
  • MrWThompson
    MrWThompson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the "shame" is in the bagel one at all, except that I'd need two 150 calorie bowls of oatmeal to be even remotely satisfied, or one 300 calorie bagel. And if I have the oatmeal, I'll be farting all day. :embarassed:

Thanks for the morning laugh! My students already think I am weird! Now I am sitting at my desk laughing at the computer screen!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    It's not anything new, I don't know where you've been..

The bagel/oatmeal picture - I saw nothing wrong with it. What I did see wrong with was the caption that said "the last thing we want while walking down the street is to be shamed for our breakfast choices." Um, seriously? Oh yeah. I forgot, everyone wants to be coddled. Better to bury our heads in the sand rather than know how many calories are in what we are consuming. (Although, I love bagels and everyone should eat them)

The tired of being fat & ugly pic - That's been going around the internet. It's funny. Sorry, not sorry.

The scale bus stop - You don't have to sit on it... And this may sound bad, but maybe if people were standing a little more, it'd be a move in the right direction. Just saying.

The PETA pic -" Another one of PETA's misleading ads. According to their ad, being thin, fit, and sexy is the only way to love your body, and the only way to be thin, fit, and sexy is to go vegan. Essentially, what they're saying is that everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies." Um, PETA has an agenda and it's not worrying about fat people. Of course they're saying everyone else should be ashamed of their bodies, everyone else is eating tasty meat and they're against that.

All of the other ones, yeah they're "offensive" if I let billboards and ads offend me.

shtf.gif

What is your obsession with feces, noob? :tongue:
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Being gentle about it resulted in the fat pride movement, maybe this will help although I find it cruel.

Yeah, because bullying and being lousy and abusive to people has helped them get a healthy relationship with food and their bodies so far....

Wait, it hasn't.

Welcome to being part of the problem.

^^ 110% agreed.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    How about people stop whining and take responsibility for themselves instead of trying to get everyone else around them to coddle them? If "fat shaming" affects them- lose the weight and you won't feel that shame anymore.

The point... you've missed it. :tongue:
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't even get me started on fat shaming. Not going to read the article just yet because I have enough trouble with my blood pressure. I will say this about fat shaming and any other nagging or nannying about bad habits, shortcomings, sins or what have you: Trying to bully someone into changing leads to defensiveness and exacerbates the problem in more ways than one. In the instance of obesity, children should be taught by example how to eat properly, learning that moderation is key, and they should be allowed to go outside and have fun instead of being cooped up inside four walls all day. Adults need access to information. Put free classes out there and advertise them, articles in the media, then leave it alone. Nagging only made my sister eat more and smoke more. She's an adult, it's up to her to take the next step. As for me, it took finally facing myself and wanting --really wanting-- to change. Fat bashing, like any other allowed bashing, leads to trouble.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    people who are thin are shamed all the time!!!

if you workout, eat healthy and look good as a result:

"they must never eat, i just want to feed her a cheeseburger". oh, i'm sorry i'm not as fat as you!

i am all over the anti-oppression movement, and lately, many that champion this have been jumping aboard the whole fat awareness trend. honestly, being fat IS unhealthy. if marketers try to make money off of us getting healthier, I don't see it as being really all that bad. I would much rather have a scale in my bus stop then a mcdonalds ad in my bus stop advertising chicken mcnuggets to my kids!

we shouldn't make people feel bad for who they are period though...that i agree with!

I agree with this^ All types of people and body types are shamed. You have to make the best decisions for you and your body and ignore all the media. Because unfortunately, it isn't going away. Just do what you can to not put others down. (I see this a lot when people want to feel better about being overweight and completely harp on fitter people. Just STOP)
  • Ramberta
    Options
    To clarify on my statement: I don't think most of the methods in that article qualify as harmful shaming. I was incredibly irked by them using photos of children (and other people without consent such as in the wife scaring ad). I mean...was it necessary? Did those kids specifically volunteer to represent the obese kid (I can't imagine how unkind school peers would be)? The premise behind it is true so why not use text and decorative graphic elements?

Pictures speak louder than words, they always have. I can't say that I am "pleased" by those ads, but they are very effective and it is less about "shaming" and more about health and targeting bad parenting.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh boy another one of these threads, I just love reading threads where a bunch of formerly/currently overweight people viciously tear down other overweight people because they just haven't seen the light yet.
  • HideyoshiKinoshita
    HideyoshiKinoshita Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In Japan we have a tax for overweight people..
    If the media is your biggest problem just be glad you don't have to pay for it. :bigsmile: :3
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it's needed. People are more worried about hurting another person's "feelings" than their overall health? It's not just "being fat." Being really overweight can and will kill you! We need to let people know, sure it's "okay" if you choose to live such a lifestyle, but it is NOT healthy and will have consequences. I wish i could see ads like that around me through out the day, it would definitely have an impact on my decisions.

It's not 'bullying' to make people give up their excuses and admit their wrongdoing.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming doesn't work. Why do a lot of people become overweight? Because they have a problem with emotional eating. All this does is make big people feel even worse than they already do. So what do they do to compensate? Eat more food. Yeah, that seems SO productive!
    If you want "fat people" to become healthy, try supporting them when they do make positive changes. Be a role model, but don't get upset or disgusted with them for not following you. A person's relationship with food is very personal and intimate. To belittle or bully them for it is disgusting and counter productive.

^^ This^^
    Well said!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    In the instance of obesity, children should be taught by example how to eat properly, learning that moderation is key, and they should be allowed to go outside and have fun instead of being cooped up inside four walls all day. Adults need access to information. Put free classes out there and advertise them, articles in the media, then leave it alone.

And what do we do when that sort of thing doesn't work? I am not advocating shaming, but all those things you mentioned already exist. People choose not to take advantage of them, that's all.

A membership at the YMCA costs very, very little, especially if you qualify for aid. You can look up all sorts of free instructional videos these days on YouTube to teach you in-home exercises, healthy cooking, and games you can play with your kids for free or very cheap. Parents just choose to make bad decisions and their children inherit those behaviors.