Fat shaming in the media

Options

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming doesn't work. Why do a lot of people become overweight? Because they have a problem with emotional eating. All this does is make big people feel even worse than they already do. So what do they do to compensate? Eat more food. Yeah, that seems SO productive!
    If you want "fat people" to become healthy, try supporting them when they do make positive changes. Be a role model, but don't get upset or disgusted with them for not following you. A person's relationship with food is very personal and intimate. To belittle or bully them for it is disgusting and counter productive.

Totally agree.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oh boy another one of these threads, I just love reading threads where a bunch of formerly/currently overweight people viciously tear down other overweight people because they just haven't seen the light yet.

Where are you seeing that on this thread, exactly?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is an awful lot of body shaming in general not just fat shaming. But I think some people just over-reacted to some of those ads. I have my reservations about Peta, seeing as they are hypocrites and give animal rights a bad name, but that's a different story. I tend to ignore their stupid propaganda. However, some of those ads were just making suggestions toward a healthier lifestyle, or were just dumb.

I was disgusted by the Ashley Madison ad. I'm disgusted by Ashley Madison in general.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I think it's needed. People are more worried about hurting another person's "feelings" than their overall health? It's not just "being fat." Being really overweight can and will kill you! We need to let people know, sure it's "okay" if you choose to live such a lifestyle, but it is NOT healthy and will have consequences. I wish i could see ads like that around me through out the day, it would definitely have an impact on my decisions.

It's not 'bullying' to make people give up their excuses and admit their wrongdoing.

Guess what?

Breathing will kill you. Eventually.

Every single thing you do will ultimately bring you closer to ending your life. And while it's true that certain actions (smoking, drinking, overeating, drugs) can speed up that process, unless we start imposing substance regulations on sugar and fat, we can't tell people they're "wrong" for being overweight.

I am all for trying to get loved ones and people you care about to take steps towards better health -- I am still trying to motivate my ex-fiancee, who is 400 pounds -- but ultimately, people need to come to this realization on their own. Shaming is not going to do anything but make people angry and upset.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming > Fat Acceptance
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Appalling! So glad I'm able to laugh at stuff like this instead of getting upset! How ridiculous!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    There is an awful lot of body shaming in general not just fat shaming. But I think some people just over-reacted to some of those ads. I have my reservations about Peta, seeing as they are hypocrites and give animal rights a bad name, but that's a different story. I tend to ignore their stupid propaganda. However, some of those ads were just making suggestions toward a healthier lifestyle, or were just dumb.

I was disgusted by the Ashley Madison ad. I'm disgusted by Ashley Madison in general.

i know right. i feel like anyone that even goes on the site....needs their relationship seriously looked at. unless you went on it with your partner out of a 'wtf' curiosity. i truly can't believe that cheaters are hooking up with other cheaters, knowingly. ugh!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Fat shaming > Fat Acceptance

Aaaaand another one who's part of the problem.

Your body is your responsibility and your business, and ONLY your responsibility and your business. Your friends and loved ones may be able to sway your opinion, but at the end of the day you make your own choices and that is YOUR right.

I am not for the "fat acceptance" movement either, for the record, but I am disgusted with both extremes of this spectrum equally.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The first one is a web site for people to cheat on a marriage, so obviously they are offensive all around. I try not to let people like that upset me, there are just too many things that are offensive like that on the internet.

PETA is known for their incredibly offensive ads. Such as the one that compares eating fish to being a child abuser or a women batterer or a rapist. Horrendous!!

A few of them, I do not think were fat shaming (the oatmeal, the just be ugly one is just funny, the one about slimming down).

Some of them are pretty bad. The ones encouraging people to use the advertising space. I think that might back fire for them. Some people won't want that advertising space after that, and be associated with that fat shaming mentality. And the guy undressing...wow (I mean that's not about weight, that's just creepy regardless)!

The bus stop scale one is bizarre!

I'm not a fan of the one with children!!!

I'm not a fan of any body shaming, it's just ridiculous and ignorant when people behave that way (not a sign of intelligence)!
  • Robind55
    Robind55 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If there were a like button on here, I would hit it like a million times!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    In the instance of obesity, children should be taught by example how to eat properly, learning that moderation is key, and they should be allowed to go outside and have fun instead of being cooped up inside four walls all day. Adults need access to information. Put free classes out there and advertise them, articles in the media, then leave it alone.

And what do we do when that sort of thing doesn't work? I am not advocating shaming, but all those things you mentioned already exist. People choose not to take advantage of them, that's all.

A membership at the YMCA costs very, very little, especially if you qualify for aid. You can look up all sorts of free instructional videos these days on YouTube to teach you in-home exercises, healthy cooking, and games you can play with your kids for free or very cheap. Parents just choose to make bad decisions and their children inherit those behaviors.

"And what do you do with that short of thing doesn't work?" How about leaving people alone to make their own choices? If you've given people some tools that could help them to change, and they don't change, you really think ratcheting up the shame-factor is going to "fix them"? Shame gets in the way of emotional, physical, social and mental health. It does NOT inspire people to take on exciting new challenges...instead, it inspires self-loathing. Incidentally, shame is also a predominant emotion behind eating disorders, cutting, suicide, addiction, and any number of other life-destroying behaviors.

I'm not super-sensitive to fat-shaming, but I have seen the destructive power of shame and rejection in people's lives, and it ain't pretty.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the "shame" is in the bagel one at all, except that I'd need two 150 calorie bowls of oatmeal to be even remotely satisfied, or one 300 calorie bagel. And if I have the oatmeal, I'll be farting all day. :embarassed:

Agreed, minus the farting, lol. A 150 calorie serving of oatmeal is a SNACK, not a sufficient breakfast. They trippin'.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's not anything new, I don't know where you've been..

The bagel/oatmeal picture - I saw nothing wrong with it. What I did see wrong with was the caption that said "the last thing we want while walking down the street is to be shamed for our breakfast choices." Um, seriously? Oh yeah. I forgot, everyone wants to be coddled. Better to bury our heads in the sand rather than know how many calories are in what we are consuming. (Although, I love bagels and everyone should eat them)

To be honest I thought the Oatmeal one was a bit weird only because I like nutrition information when I go out. Although, they could have left the "just saying" part off of it... but I didn't know people ate cream cheese in their oatmeal. *hehe*
  • momokitty1992
    momokitty1992 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thin people are not oppressed and here is why.

Do people judge whether you a liability to your job if you are overweight? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less expensive.
    Do you pay more for health/life insurance because you are thin? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less of a liability.
    Do thin people have trouble finding someone like themselves as the lead in at.v. show or movie? No. thin is considered more desirable.
    Do thin people have to squeeze into seat at theaters? on airplanes? in booths at restaurants? No. the seats are made for thin people.
    Do thin people get denied surgery because their weight is a liability? No.
    Do thin people get everyone else giving them diet plan/advice or just nagging them all day about their weight? Not really.
    Do thin people get mocked on t.v. used as scrape goats or comedy because of their weight? No.
    Is it considered weird to like a thin person? Does it become a kink or a disorder to like someone who is average sized? No.

Do not compare other peoples jealousy of your body to oppression.

And Do not think that everyone wants to look like a model on t.v. that everyone wants to change, that everyone wants your opinion on THEIR life just because YOU don't like the way they treat their bodies.
    No one has the right to force anyone else to change if they don't want to.
    This is a free country and if you don't like the fact that someone doesn't mind how they look and wants to eat fifty hostess cupcakes a day it is THEIR RIGHT.
    Justifying your bullying with "but its not good for them" is elitist abusive ****.

I am not a different person thin. I still deserve respect, I do not deserve to be treated like a disease or the butt of a joke.

If you think shaming someone for their choices in life is okay, if you think you have the right to judge other peoples decisions about their life about their health, then you need to take a step back and look at yourself and ask "when did I decide I was god? When did I decide I had the right to judge others?"

Worry about yourself, treat other people with respect, and leave other people to do the same.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    In the instance of obesity, children should be taught by example how to eat properly, learning that moderation is key, and they should be allowed to go outside and have fun instead of being cooped up inside four walls all day. Adults need access to information. Put free classes out there and advertise them, articles in the media, then leave it alone.

And what do we do when that sort of thing doesn't work? I am not advocating shaming, but all those things you mentioned already exist. People choose not to take advantage of them, that's all.

A membership at the YMCA costs very, very little, especially if you qualify for aid. You can look up all sorts of free instructional videos these days on YouTube to teach you in-home exercises, healthy cooking, and games you can play with your kids for free or very cheap. Parents just choose to make bad decisions and their children inherit those behaviors.

"And what do you do with that short of thing doesn't work?" How about leaving people alone to make their own choices? If you've given people some tools that could help them to change, and they don't change, you really think ratcheting up the shame-factor is going to "fix them"? Shame gets in the way of emotional, physical, social and mental health. It does NOT inspire people to take on exciting new challenges...instead, it inspires self-loathing. Incidentally, shame is also a predominant emotion behind eating disorders, cutting, suicide, addiction, and any number of other life-destroying behaviors.

I'm not super-sensitive to fat-shaming, but I have seen the destructive power of shame and rejection in people's lives, and it ain't pretty.

Whoa, settle down there. I specifically said I'm not in favor of fat-shaming. I do not find it to be effective in doing anything except inciting outrage. I was merely pointing out that in the angry post I quoted (and he didn't even read the article linked by the OP), that all of his "solutions" already exist, which begs the question, are these things truly solutions?

That's all.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That first one is bad in general (just the concept of having a website for married people to have affairs, alone).

The rest made me laugh.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump

ill look this up when im off the work computer lol
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The only ones I didn't like were the first 2. I think it's disgusting that there are agency's out there promoting affairs and then the 1st Peta one is just plain false and by trying to push their agenda they insult people too. I thought the oatmeal sign was great. More restaurants should do comparisons like that. And the bus stop scale is quite inventive. I don't see most of them "shaming" in any way. The billboards with the fat people are just the truth. Sorry, but fat is not attractive. If it was we wouldn't be trying to become thin.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The Ashley Madison one was bad. If you cheat because your partner is fat (or any other reason) then you need to leave.

I agree with this, as for the rest I don't really see a problem with it.
    Although the scale one is unfortunate if you don't realise before you sit down, I think that one is pretty clever personally.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Thin people are not oppressed and here is why.

Do people judge whether you a liability to your job if you are overweight? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less expensive.
    Do you pay more for health/life insurance because you are thin? No, thin people are assumed healthier and less of a liability.
    Do thin people have trouble finding someone like themselves as the lead in at.v. show or movie? No. thin is considered more desirable.
    Do thin people have to squeeze into seat at theaters? on airplanes? in booths at restaurants? No. the seats are made for thin people.
    Do thin people get denied surgery because their weight is a liability? No.
    Do thin people get everyone else giving them diet plan/advice or just nagging them all day about their weight? Not really.
    Do thin people get mocked on t.v. used as scrape goats or comedy because of their weight? No.
    Is it considered weird to like a thin person? Does it become a kink or a disorder to like someone who is average sized? No.

Do not compare other peoples jealousy of your body to oppression.

And Do not think that everyone wants to look like a model on t.v. that everyone wants to change, that everyone wants your opinion on THEIR life just because YOU don't like the way they treat their bodies.
    No one has the right to force anyone else to change if they don't want to.
    This is a free country and if you don't like the fact that someone doesn't mind how they look and wants to eat fifty hostess cupcakes a day it is THEIR RIGHT.
    Justifying your bullying with "but its not good for them" is elitist abusive ****.

I am not a different person thin. I still deserve respect, I do not deserve to be treated like a disease or the butt of a joke.

If you think shaming someone for their choices in life is okay, if you think you have the right to judge other peoples decisions about their life about their health, then you need to take a step back and look at yourself and ask "when did I decide I was god? When did I decide I had the right to judge others?"

Worry about yourself, treat other people with respect, and leave other people to do the same.

i agree with only some of this. mostly the last sentence. it really isn't anyone elses business.

i don't think it is oppressive in the least to change people who are overweight to obese more for health coverage...it is like getting into a drunk driving accident and being charged more car insurance!