Women and Men... Who would you approach?

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    people who smile... unless it's like a 60 year old pedophile

20-59 year old pedophiles are okay though?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If you were going to walk up to someone and strike up a conversation... who would you approach?

Someone who looks like a model?
    Someone who is of average looks?
    Someone with less than average looks?
    Someone who smiles at you, regardless of their looks?

Please explain why.

Note: the end goal is not necessarily to get into their pants, but maybe start a dialog that could be the start of something.

Why did I want to talk to someone? What was the purpose of the conversation?

Any stranger whom I would select to speak to would probably be based on my desired outcome of a particular goal. If its just a random meaningless conversation, then does it really matter what they look like. If I am going to attempt to get into someones pants, it sure wouldnt be with someone that im not attracted to. Whats the point of that? Probably the same point that this thread has.

Edited to include a response:

If i had to select someone it would most likely be based off of some body language that says "Yes, you may approach me and I will converse with you" which doesnt always include a smile. (which I get why many people say smiling is good as it says "Hi there! You seem pleasant and may approach me.")
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll approach anyone. If I think they're good looking, and especially if they smile! I definitely have no shame. I've never been afraid of rejection and don't believe in 'leagues.' Go after what you want, you'll usually get it, it's always worked in my favor. The issue is that so many people are 'shy' or don't think they're good enough to talk to someone so the really good looking people never even get talked to! We're all PEOPLE so I say screw it! Talk to everyone! You only live once, and in the end we'll all be old and ugly anyway :p
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Can we all just agree that generally men are expected to do the approaching? That said, for the ladies, what did the last guy you approached with the intention of asking out look like?

Men are generally expected to do the approaching in my world.

Mostly because I'm not interested enough in having a relationship to do the approaching myself. I usually find myself having to shrug off clingers anyway; why invite more trouble?
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    None. I am shy and do not approach.

Guys who want to tell me confidence is sexy, blah blah... Bite me! :angry:

Her. And then break take that shy little girl out of her shell and take the weiner train to tuna town.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Can we all just agree that generally men are expected to do the approaching? That said, for the ladies, what did the last guy you approached with the intention of asking out look like?

I've never actually approached anyone to ask them out. I don't know that I'd ever have that courage.

A few weeks ago, my sister and I were at the club and she was crushing on a guy. He was a bit shorter than her (we're both 6'1"), and pretty average, but he had a helluva smile. He was a bit on the stocky side, and had a bit of a military look to him.

It took her about two hours to get up the nerve to go and say hi.

I wish I had known this years ago.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Lies, women do the approaching :laugh:

Exactly the point. For guys that look like your pic yes. For guys that look like my pic no chance. Why women are afraid to admit this is beyond me.

I was joking, I hardly ever get approached.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    how about if i approach no one ?
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options

DISAGREE! I always do the approaching.(with men AND woman) and have never been turned down. It's 2013 there are no rules! Why wait for a man or woman to approach you? If you want it, go for it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If you were going to walk up to someone and strike up a conversation... who would you approach?

Someone who looks like a model?
    Someone who is of average looks?
    Someone with less than average looks?
    Someone who smiles at you, regardless of their looks?

Please explain why.

Note: the end goal is not necessarily to get into their pants, but maybe start a dialog that could be the start of something.

Why did I want to talk to someone? What was the purpose of the conversation?

Any stranger whom I would select to speak to would probably be based on my desired outcome of a particular goal. If its just a random meaningless conversation, then does it really matter what they look like. If I am going to attempt to get into someones pants, it sure wouldnt be with someone that im not attracted to. Whats the point of that? Probably the same point that this thread has.

the point of this thread is to show that it's not only the super models that get approached. In fact, there have been more responses stating that super models wouldn't get approached as often.

the general consensus seems to be "someone who smiles" - someone who is friendly and approachable.

the thread was (I admit) created for Dr. Chimp, who (IMO) is a good looking guy that maintains that women only approach the supermodels, and never him because he isn't one.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Anyone if I have a reason or inclination to talk to them about something or am just in the mood to gauge someone's personality.

I once approached a very unhappy looking man on a bar's outdoor patio and said "need any help holding up this wall?" He was having a really bad day, and me just being friendly resulted in the group I was with inviting him to our table, him sitting and chatting with us all night, and a good friend getting a job interview through one of his connections.

Was I interested in dating him? No. But he looked like he could use a friend. And he turned out to be a really great guy who was just having a bad night.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love all people and can't help myself but to smile at everyone and speak to everyone :0)
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The person who smiles at me. A smile/friendly face makes someone approachable imo. I'm fairly shy so seeing kindness in someone's face is what I focus on above them being gorgeous or average. I smile alot and try to come off as a welcoming person to others.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Personally.. I will talk to anyone who smiles at me. But I am much less likely to approach someone who is incredibly good looking.

I seem to have this inferiority complex in my head that makes me think that the incredibly good looking people wouldn't want to talk to me.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have trouble approaching anyone really, I am incredibly shy. Lol.

Someone who is incredibly good looking... /terrified.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I took a theater class. One of the exercises was to approach total strangers and have a conversation. The conversation had to last 30 secs, then a minute, then 3 (damn long) then we had to ask the person for something personal (a pen, phone number or whatever).

We went out in pairs - actor and observer. All over Baltimore.

It's an easy and hard exercise but if it is done a few times one's comfort level increases a lot.
    You probably do physical exercise, why not a little interpersonal exercise?
    Oh, you aren't allowed to tell the person that you are doing an exercise.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought that girls could be shy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Conscious, preferably female
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Personally.. I will talk to anyone who smiles at me. But I am much less likely to approach someone who is incredibly good looking.

I seem to have this inferiority complex in my head that makes me think that the incredibly good looking people wouldn't want to talk to me.

:bigsmile:
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I'm a super friendly girl. I will talk to almost anyone as long as they don't give me the immediate creeps. Now to keep me talking they have to have a lot of skills (or really shiny objects or special treats or magic tricks or funny jokes or really big....hands) or they will lose my interest in about 2.3 seconds.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I will speak to almost anyone who makes eye contact and smiles, even if it's just a hey people who hold their head down I walk past them because I assume they don't want to be bothered

HEy CFRC8780 ((SMILING)) LOL!