How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options
My zumba instructor asked this question one time and I thought it was interesting. One of the ways she would stop herself from eating when she was full was to picture something gross (like a hair) in her food. She said it would gross her out and she would stop eating. I noticed that if I go out to eat (and can't really take the leftovers home) that instead of picking at my food when full I cover it with a napkin and push the napkin down a little bit so I CAN'T eat anymore. Sometimes the waiter isn't around to get the plate so I need a little trick. If I don't do this kind of stuff then most likely I will consume the whole meal even though I was filled up after about half. What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeve. It doesn't necessarily have to be going out to eat because I realize some people just don't do that.

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

You have some good tips in your post. Thanks for sharing.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know someone who would shake a lot of salt on it when she was full. It would keep her from picking at it while talking to others.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

Then fill your plate with exactly what you intend to eat? I was raised this way and I've not had a problem with it since changing my eating habits. I just put less on my plate.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat food that is so sugary, salty, or fatty that it would hook me into a binge cycle. Plain, healthy food helps me eat in moderation and savor subtle flavors.

I also don't eat too much at one meal - 200 - 300 is usual, but about 500 calories is my limit per meal. Around 700 or so flips a switch in my body, where I feel cravings almost constantly for up to six hours afterward.

I graze a lot on sweet foods that I enjoy (fruit and whole grain muffins, no white sugar added), so my hunger levels are fairly stable. I also add in protein, which keeps me full longer.
  • kelly120589
    Options
    I try to distract myself - it happened earlier. So I made myself a cup of tea, put some washing on and phoned my mum. I also thought about my wedding dress - it needs to fit! xxx
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    When I'm full, I no longer have the desire to eat. Is this a common issue? Do people, besides those who binge, have issues eating after they're full?
  • efuehrer
    efuehrer Posts: 3
    Options
    Everyone has some good tips here, maybe not smoking after a meal if you are trying to get healthy. If you are at home make your plate as if you are going to have seconds, put about half of the size portions you would normally have. Then before you sit down put any extra in the fridge. After you have eaten your meal clean up the dishes from the table and go do something else. Putting the food away before the meal, cleaning the dishes up and doing something else all will keep your mind thinking the meal is over and you not on wanting more. My wife has a habit of leaving the food out while we eat and that just leads to me getting seconds or picking after the meal is done.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Smaller potions.
    Only put on your plate what you will eat.
    I feel sick and my stomach hurts if I eat too much,
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

You have some good tips in your post. Thanks for sharing.

Eat off smaller plates, and no one says you have to throw food out. Just put it in a left over container.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I push my plate over to my teenage son (high metabolism calorie burning machine). He finishes it off so I have no problem. :laugh:
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I immediately divide my meal in half on my plate, I eat the first half then make myself wait or drink a full glass of water before deciding to eat the other half, at which point I box it up or put a napkin over it, or any trash from the table on top of it.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I push my plate over to my teenage son (high metabolism calorie burning machine). He finishes it off so I have no problem. :laugh:

Great idea! Love it!! :bigsmile:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If it's a restaurant meal I get the box ahead of time and portion my leftovers before I start eating. That way I have before me what I intended to eat. I eat slowly so I can recognize being full.

^^This.
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    Smaller potions.
    Only put on your plate what you will eat.

Use a smaller dish too.

Get some gum and find something to do to get your mind of eating.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. Once I brush my teeth, I have no desire to eat or drink anything else, but water.
  • juliana0813
    juliana0813 Posts: 49
    Options
    i put pepper on it! (i'm allergic) :-) or you can just put a ton of salt on it so it won't taste good :p
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I immediately divide my meal in half on my plate, I eat the first half then make myself wait or drink a full glass of water before deciding to eat the other half, at which point I box it up or put a napkin over it, or any trash from the table on top of it.

I like this. Wish I would have done this before my 3rd piece of pizza this weekend. Ugh.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.

I just laughed out loud at this. Brilliant!