How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    stop e ating
    clear plate
    get away from table
    go do something else
    u ate u ar e full
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Seems rather simple to stop when you're full.

My issue is knowing when I'm full. To fix that I've decided to eat like a jabbering bird, more time talking than eating. I'm always the life of the party, so it works. :)

Anyone else find it extremely uncomfortable to eat after full?
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i put pepper on it! (i'm allergic) :-) or you can just put a ton of salt on it so it won't taste good :p

Haha...I have Celiac Disease and can't eat gluten...I've crushed up a dinner roll in the rest of my food before so I couldn't eat it.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

You have some good tips in your post. Thanks for sharing.

SAME!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I pop in a piece of Xtra sugar free spearmint gum.

When I have had foods teasing me, I have been known to throw them out and them dump my husbands coffee grounds on top so that I won't get them out of the trash.

I have a hard time feeling full. I am only now getting the sensations of hunger and satisfaction back.

When I get hungry, it's like a steam engine on overload and many times my only ability to stop comes from these things:

1. I use a small red plate but also have a large clear glass with ice water in it. Small plate, large water.
    2. Before I eat, I put the rest of the ingredients away
    3. I no longer eat in the car.

This helps me.

Jan
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    honestly, keeping busy is the only thing that has helped me to stop overeating. it is the most effective thing...but that is for me. and not to snack so much. that 5 meals a day crap doesn't work for me, it makes me constantly hungry.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    All this is great but what does "full" feel like?

You think I'm being a smart *kitten*.

I know what being so full you are almost sick feels like.....but there is no in between. None, nothing, I've tried to eat as slow as I possibly can, waiting for a light bulb or something....nothing.

But to answer the originial question....I have gotten better about taking and packing my lunch for the next day measuring it out and THEN I eat what's left over, but I have to be careful how much I fix in the first place.

Here's some links that may help:flowerforyou: :heart: you:heart::flowerforyou: :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/385937-what-does-being-full-feel-like

http://www.askfitnesscoach.com/so-how-do-i-know-when-i’m-80-full/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556680-why-dont-i-feel-full-after-a-meal/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/healthy-eating-recognizing-your-hunger-signals

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/how-do-i-know-when-im-no-longer-hungry

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    PRELOG

PRELOG

PRELOG

I PRELOG my food...and I don't eat any more than what I prelog. If I am still hungry ...I will occasionally eat brown rice and 2-3 ozs of chicken breast

or a 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Finish eating. Still feel hungry? Drink some water. Go brush teeth and floss. Done.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Haha love that one!!!
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

Then fill your plate with exactly what you intend to eat? I was raised this way and I've not had a problem with it since changing my eating habits. I just put less on my plate.

this. answered it on my behalf.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I don't feel hungry until suddenly I am fall down dead starving. It is frustrating.

The only meal I overeat for is baked Mac n Cheese. The only way I can stop is to cover up the leftovers and put it in the fridge.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I PRELOG my food...and I don't eat any more than what I prelog.

^^This^^ I feel like I've already committed myself to it if I do it. Sometimes I log options to figure out what I can eat and still make the day work. Really, really, remembering how unhealthy I felt 50 lbs ago helps me so much too. I hope I can always remember that!
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Finish eating. Still feel hungry? Drink some water. Go brush teeth and floss. Done.

This is one I use too. It's not always effective, but it is good. I can't eat less than 3 hours before I lay down for the night, so when I'm done for the day I brush my teeth and use mouth wash to make sure I don't eat the stuff my hubby is eating, or my kids!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Slowing down and checking in with yourself after about 20 minutes. It usually only takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the signal of being full - so once you hit that "full point' - putting the fork down and just being done is key. If at a restaurant - I like to check in with myself BEFORE the meal to gauge how hungry I am on a scale of 1 to 10. That helps me know how much I will need to/want to eat and once I hit that 10 (without being stuffed), I won't go overboard. I hope that's helpful!

That is helpful, especially for eating out.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I'm home I brush my teeth. Then i dont have the urge to keep eating. If I'm out I chug a full glass of water. it gives me the sensation of being way to full.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Then fill your plate with exactly what you intend to eat? I was raised this way and I've not had a problem with it since changing my eating habits. I just put less on my plate.

This works great as long as you never, ever go out to eat. At restaurants, you are getting what you order. Often you may not realize you are getting enough food to feed three people until you get it in front of you. Sure, you can always be a pain in the rear and send the server off to box up half of your meal while she neglects her other tables, but in reality, once she brings back that to go box, you may still be picking at it on the way home.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This works great as long as you never, ever go out to eat. At restaurants, you are getting what you order. Often you may not realize you are getting enough food to feed three people until you get it in front of you. Sure, you can always be a pain in the rear and send the server off to box up half of your meal while she neglects her other tables, but in reality, once she brings back that to go box, you may still be picking at it on the way home.

I go out once a week and it's never been a problem, honestly. I usually order from the 'light' menu, log the calories if I know it, and just eat the whole thing... it's usually not a huge amount of food. Or I order grilled chicken and veggies or something, usually if it's too much it's not something I tend to overeat on anyway... I'd never just eat half a portion of normal food though. I'd just be too hungry later. If you do though, yeah I can see how it would be a problem. But I'd ask for an extra plate or a box. Frankly once it's in the fridge at home it's less tempting anyway.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly. Food takes some time to move down into the stomach cavity. When you eat fast, too much goes into the stomach and you feel sick. Stop before you're totally full. If you're still hungry in a half hour or so, have something like a chia fresca that is good for you, low in calories and filling. Don't eat more food.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm of the clean plate club too. Because I know this about myself, I portion exactly what I'm going to eat for dinner on my plate and that's it - no going back seconds.

Of course, going to restaurants where the portions are huge can be difficult for me because of this mindset, so I limit eating out to no more than twice a week.