How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you're full, then how could you continue to eat? I guess I just don't understand this question?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone keep eating after they're full?!?!?! Is this a serious question?

Please men.....don't bash me for saying this but it's typically not a problem for you.

No bashing intended, I just fail to comprehend the question. It's such an alien concept to me of people eating AFTER they are full. I can't do it. I can't even begin to imagine how I would accomplish it.

My girlfriend is an emotional eater, stress eater, bored eater, reward eater and so on. She, as far as I know, doesn't eat when she's full.
  • emmaleechase
    emmaleechase Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I unfold and drape my napkin over the plate so I don't see it sitting there. Research (Cornell U) shows that putitng it far away on the table or across the room is ideal, too. Ask wait staff to take your plate if you are in a restaurant.

Mindfulness training also helps, as does distraction (do something different; change your location).
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.

Awesome, I can totally relate!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

You have some good tips in your post. Thanks for sharing.

I just take smaller portions. Or grab a smaller plate to put your food on. After you eat it, wait 15 minutes for that food to meet the stomach and let you know if it was enough. I think we've been taught that big plates of food are what we need but if you look back to 20+ years ago, portions were different. A kids meal from McDonalds is what adults used to eat. And if you think about it, that means that the kids now are eating what adults were meant to eat, causing them to over eat.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    When I'm full, I no longer have the desire to eat. Is this a common issue? Do people, besides those who binge, have issues eating after they're full?

When I am full, I, too, stop as I no longer have a desire to eat after I am full.
    If I am NOT full after I eat what should be an adequate amount, I drink a glass of water and go do something else. if after about 20 minutes I am still really hungry, I eat more. but usually after about 20 minutes my body realizes it had enough and I'm not hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's easy, it takes 20 minutes usually to feel full. Most people eat faster than that, so they can finish their plate before they realize that they are full.

I'm guessing there is a difference in concept between being full and not being hungry anymore though. I think most of us won't eat if we're really full... but if we're here, we probably have a hard time not eating once we're not hungry anymore. I'm guessing it's what the OP meant. And yeah... I'm guessing a lot of us have or had issues with binging as well.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're full, then how could you continue to eat? I guess I just don't understand this question?

I just tend to keep eating if it tastes good. Sometimes it doesn't matter if I am full. It's a bit of a problem for me. Maybe not everyone....but it is for me.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

I just tend to keep eating if it tastes good. Sometimes it doesn't matter if I am full. It's a bit of a problem for me. Maybe not everyone....but it is for me.

You're not uncomfortable, meaning your stomach doesn't hurt?
    Or you're not talking about over eating that much? Just enough to go over your calorie goal?
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I paint my finger nails, its hard to eat when you know your going to mess up a manicure. :)
  • lindsaymayer121
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.

This is the best thing I have ever read! Haha! <3

I have really, really bad problems with eating way, WAY past the point of being full when I'm PMSing. I literally ate myself sick... I almost puked. Half a chocolate cake. HALF. Six 3" x 3" pieces. It was not okay. And I could not stop. It just tasted way too good. I find the best tactic for me is to slow down my eating, drink water, or replace my craving with something less calories and higher in nutrients -- replacing my bad sugary foods at night with a bowl of kashi cereal with berries and honey drizzled over the to tends to give me the satisfaction i need :)
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's usually at night that I feel that "keep eating" urge, so if I'm at home, here's what I do....

1) Have some tea, see if I'm still hungry. If so, I may eat an apple. 99% of the time, I'm full by then
    2) If there's a 99.9% chance I've had enough to eat/more than enough to eat that day, I force myself to take a shower/brush my teeth. If I STILL want something, I figure that I'm genuinely still hungry and have something small.
    3) I also try to eat sloooowly enough that I don't think I "hungry" just because I've eaten everything in 5 minutes! Has made a huge difference too.
    4) It it's getting late and I'm like, hmmm, think I'm hungry, I try to just go to bed! Fatigue definitely pushes me to eat way past the point of fullness.
  • DVaughan1975
    Options
    Why would anyone keep eating after they're full?!?!?! Is this a serious question?

Please men.....don't bash me for saying this but it's typically not a problem for you.

No bashing intended, I just fail to comprehend the question. It's such an alien concept to me of people eating AFTER they are full. I can't do it. I can't even begin to imagine how I would accomplish it.
    My girlfriend is an emotional eater, stress eater, bored eater, reward eater and so on. She, as far as I know, doesn't eat when she's full.

I agree.....it makes no sense. But.....your girlfriend may do those things even if she is not hungry. Maybe it has something to do with the way I worded the question. Seriously though, I have to try very hard not to eat when my stomach is full. So I have to do these things until I can gain more discipline. That's what I love about this sight....when I enter my stuff, it's quite the reality check.
  • DVaughan1975
    Options
    honestly, keeping busy is the only thing that has helped me to stop overeating. it is the most effective thing...but that is for me. and not to snack so much. that 5 meals a day crap doesn't work for me, it makes me constantly hungry.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes I am sooo happy to be busy at work or in the evening because I just want to get through the evening without an issue. The same thing happens to me when I eat 5 times a day.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All this is great but what does "full" feel like?

You think I'm being a smart *kitten*.

I know what being so full you are almost sick feels like.....but there is no in between. None, nothing, I've tried to eat as slow as I possibly can, waiting for a light bulb or something....nothing.

But to answer the originial question....I have gotten better about taking and packing my lunch for the next day measuring it out and THEN I eat what's left over, but I have to be careful how much I fix in the first place.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I know what it feels like to be over full, and I know what it feel like to be hungry, but what does it feel like to be just full?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's easy, it takes 20 minutes usually to feel full. Most people eat faster than that, so they can finish their plate before they realize that they are full.

Do most people REALLY eat faster than that?!?!?!?! That is INSANE. I like to relax and enjoy the meal. I'll work til 6pm every night, just so I can have a leisurely 90 min lunch. I know I'm not that typical, but under 20 mins? Really?
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I typically bring a container with me to a restaurant (but will get a "to go" container if I forget) and will box up my food right away, only leaving what I know I can eat for the meal. That way I get to "clean the plate" but I'm also not overeating.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do most people REALLY eat faster than that?!?!?!?! That is INSANE. I like to relax and enjoy the meal. I'll work til 6pm every night, just so I can have a leisurely 90 min lunch. I know I'm not that typical, but under 20 mins? Really?

My husband eats SUPER fast. We can be having pizza and I'll still be working on my ONLY slice and he's eaten 4 or 5 and possibly even be done eating.
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).

Yup, same. The cigarette always seals the deal. I think I look forward to it more than dessert, which is probably why I've gotten used to not eating dessert anymore (it used to be that I always expected/anticipated sweets after a meal, but I don't anymore.)
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm better at this than others. I don't necessarily have the problem at the restaurant b/c I'm cheap and I almost always order something that I know I'll have left overs or order the lunch portions or share. My issue is usually after dinner snacks (like right now I'm debating ice cream or watermelon and chocolate almond milk... I need to drink the almond milk b/c I'm 3 or 4 days into the 7-10 days it's good for...) So I try to get up and do something else, when I was still smoking I'd go out and smoke, but now I try to drink more water or go outside and sit on m porch and then if I'm still convinced I need it or just really, really want it after 15-20 minutes I usually go for it.