How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My answer is: nutrition.

I no longer have the urge to eat after I'm full or the urge to binge. At least 90% of cravings are physiological. We are not as emotional eaters as we think. When I ate junk, even though I consumed many calories I was actually malnourished. When the body needs vital nutrient, minerals, amino acids, vitamins, proteins, fats, etc. it is capable of giving you cravings stronger than your best self-control. But now that I eat nutrient-rich foods every day and take supplements, my cravings have 99% vanished. When I do get a craving, I pay close attention and I try hard to fill it with the highest-nutrition choice possible.

My second answer is: frequent meals.

I eat 5-7 times a day. Three meals and snacks in between. So its easy to stop eating when I'm full because more food is only 2 hours away. Its funny, today I noticed that I got so hungry for my first snack (at 10 am) that my stomach growled very loudly. Yet after only a little food I was quite full and stopped eating. Same thing with lunch. My body is now accustomed to many small meals and expects that.

I honestly can't binge or overeat anymore. I just don't have the room. I eat too much volume of food (fruits/veggies are very filling), and I eat too often. I just can't fit anything else in.
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If going out to eat, I usually get a meal with a salad. I eat most of the salad and put the meal in a to go box. I have no intention of eating the main course there. I will then divide the main course up between 2 days. Thus I get about 3 meals in one. I drink alot of unsweet tea with my meal which fills me up.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i put the utensils on the table (im in china so most of the time its chopsticks) so when its on the table thats a lot of surface area that gets dirty theres no picking that back up and using it. or just chuck a tissue on the plate.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Take smaller amounts. Go back for more if I'm still hungry. If I'm not hungry, I won't put more on the plate.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The food I put in front of myself is the food I intend to eat. There is no stopping.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    When I am full, I am too full to eat any more. Not much of a problem.

...unless "full" translates as "under your calorie goal".
  • hailsmac82
    hailsmac82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I am out for dinner and I am full I will pour some of my drink on the plate so I don't pick at it before the waiter collects it :-)
  • ldressle66
    ldressle66 Posts: 35
    Options
    I had a moment of weakness - bought fries and a ****s deluxe burger. Walked out of the fast food place and was thinking do I really need this? no, do I really want this? Yes...

Looked up and saw a bum who probably didn't need it either but gave all of it away.

He was more interested in money but took it anyways...
    LOL

saved me about 800 calories and lots of salt and fat grams...:)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone keep eating after they're full?!?!?! Is this a serious question?

Please men.....don't bash me for saying this but it's typically not a problem for you.

No bashing intended, I just fail to comprehend the question. It's such an alien concept to me of people eating AFTER they are full. I can't do it. I can't even begin to imagine how I would accomplish it.

My girlfriend is an emotional eater, stress eater, bored eater, reward eater and so on. She, as far as I know, doesn't eat when she's full.
    If I am full, I will eat until I am extra full. If I am extra full, I will eat until I am stuffed. No amount of fiber, protein, water, carbs, fat or whatever else can take my endless hunger away. I never felt this way until I quit smoking. I used to binge daily. I removed wheat from my diet and I no longer felt like I had to stuff in as much as possible as fast as possible, but still I do tend to want to keep eating even though it is on a smaller scale. It's turned from binging, into extended nibbling. It could be mental. It could be an oral thing. Smoking turned into eating perhaps. But believe it, there are some of us who just can't stop. The longer I avoid eating, the better I am at not eating when I am full. If I eat several times a day, I tend to want to eat endlessly. I have considered getting help for this. I would like to see an end to this urge.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I heard of bunch of methods: dumping salt on it, hiding it with a napkin, etc. However, I've also read a lot about how "tips and tricks" like that make people develop bad relationships with foods.

I overeat sometimes. I just put it in my tracker and get on with my life.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).

I wouldnt call anything beneficial when it comes to smoking.
    i'd rather be a little chunkier than smoke my life to death.

Smoke free for fives years now. Never again, trust that.

I make a small plate to begin with, but put all food away in fridge before I sit down to eat my plate. that way i'm not tempted to go back for seconds. If i am out at restaurant, i ask for the to go box with my food at same time so i can split it up immediately.
    Options
    I fill my plate once with what I am giving myself to eat for dinner. I also have a glass of water afterwards and a cigarette (one of the benefits to being a smoker, it seals the meal off nicely).

I wouldnt call anything beneficial when it comes to smoking.
    i'd rather be a little chunkier than smoke my life to death.

Smoke free for fives years now. Never again, trust that.

I make a small plate to begin with, but put all food away in fridge before I sit down to eat my plate. that way i'm not tempted to go back for seconds. If i am out at restaurant, i ask for the to go box with my food at same time so i can split it up immediately.
    I smoked my last one on April 1st 2005. I was 125LBS as a smoker, because anytime I wanted to eat, I just smoked instead. I did eat mind you, but nothing like what I did after I quit. I feel healthier now, I can breath, I don't stink like smoke all the time etc. I would rather look like this than ever smoke again.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Remove food. If it sits in front of me, Ill keep eating it, no matter how full I am.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who has a bottomless pit for a stomach. I am capable of putting away really, really large quantities of food in one sitting, and I enjoy it. I'm incessantly hungry. Exercise makes me hungrier. Sometimes after a long run I feel like I could eat everything in the refrigerator and still be hungry. Sadly, I'm also quite small and have to really limit my intake if I want to stay small/continue to get smaller.

Portion control/plating only the food you intend to eat does work (it's what I usually do), but it doesn't save you from being hungry and needing to eat again an hour later because what you ate the first time didn't satisfy you. I will say that if I get enough dietary fat I feel more satiated than if I'm ingesting too many carbs (I know, no brainer, right?); protein doesn't do the trick as far as keeping me full (which is why I feel unmotivated to keep my protein intake as high as it should be). I struggle, too, because of my sweet tooth--eating sugar is obviously going to make you crave more sugar.

Couple of tricks that usually work for me: hot cup of tea or a piece of sugar-free candy to signal the end of a meal, giving any extra food on my plate to someone else at the table (there's usually someone around at my house who will jump at the chance for an extra helping), distracting myself with a mindless game on my smartphone, taking a walk, sneaking a peek at a pic of one of my "body idols" and reminding myself i'll never look like that if I keep eating more than I need, just throwing away the extra food if it can't be saved or isn't "safe" to keep in the house (wasteful? yes. better than it ending up padding my hips and risking my health? yes.) or telling myself that if I'm actually still hungry in an hour I can have something else.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a situation where I'm out to eat I know the food portion is MUCH bigger than I can eat so I'll ask for a to-go container right away and package up half of it. Out of sight out of mind. At home, I just portion out my food accordingly.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I put 1 serving of the food I am eating and when that is gone I will wait a few mins maybe get a drink of water and see how I feel when I am done eating the food I took and if I feel full I won't eat anymore and if I am still a little hungry I will take just a little more or I will drink more water or have a cup of coffee...=)
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're full, then how could you continue to eat? I guess I just don't understand this question?

I just tend to keep eating if it tastes good. Sometimes it doesn't matter if I am full. It's a bit of a problem for me. Maybe not everyone....but it is for me.

You're not uncomfortable, meaning your stomach doesn't hurt?
    Or you're not talking about over eating that much? Just enough to go over your calorie goal?

Just enough to possibly destroy a very healthy day. I watch my husband stop when he is full and I can't figure out how he does it. Honestly, I have seen my mom go in the kitchen after everyone is done eating and continue to eat. My sister and I discovered we do the exact same thing. A couple of weeks ago we had a birthday party for my husband. We actually served a meal instead of snacks and sandwiches. It helped a lot to be able to control the intake. After we were done eating, I just kept busy so I wouldn't overdo it on any cake or get into the leftovers. It worked : ) I really don't have much left to lose and only had 15 lbs. to lose to begin with but I know my capabilities when it comes to food. I CAN EAT A LOT NO MATTER WHAT!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This:

I no longer have the urge to eat after I'm full or the urge to binge. At least 90% of cravings are physiological. We are not as emotional eaters as we think. When I ate junk, even though I consumed many calories I was actually malnourished. When the body needs vital nutrient, minerals, amino acids, vitamins, proteins, fats, etc. it is capable of giving you cravings stronger than your best self-control. But now that I eat nutrient-rich foods every day and take supplements, my cravings have 99% vanished. When I do get a craving, I pay close attention and I try hard to fill it with the highest-nutrition choice possible.

and this:
    I removed wheat from my diet and I no longer felt like I had to stuff in as much as possible as fast as possible,

Though sugar is a bigger binge trigger for me than wheat - but a lot of things with wheat (baked goods) are sugar-laden as well. But I totally understand what the OP means, because I've been there. I can keep eating, even when I feel full, to certain foods. But I've found that eating more nutrient-dense foods is key for me, and avoid the high calorie/carb foods. Who ever overate chicken and fresh veggies??

Once I stopped feeding my body low-nutrient foods, I can more easily listen to it/hear what it is craving, and feed it that - when it needs more protein after a heavy lift day, that's what I will crave, for example. If I have a weekend where I am not eating my normal diet (I use the word diet to mean what I typically eat), like if I'm out of town, then I will be craving veggies (especially a salad!) within a couple days.

Food manufacturers know what makes food addicting (they research it, so they can make more money!), and make it that way on purpose - the precise crispness of chips/crisps, the right combo of salty and fatty (but not too much of either), the exact sweetness of sodas, etc. Additives that are addicting - MSG. I read a good article about it a few months ago - I'm still looking for it, or I'd link to it.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    All this is great but what does "full" feel like? You think I'm being a smart *kitten*.
    Why would anyone keep eating after they're full?!?!?! Is this a serious question?
    Anyone else find it extremely uncomfortable to eat after full?
    If you're full, then how could you continue to eat? I guess I just don't understand this question?
    It's easy, it takes 20 minutes usually to feel full. Most people eat faster than that, so they can finish their plate before they realize that they are full.
    I just tend to keep eating if it tastes good. Sometimes it doesn't matter if I am full. It's a bit of a problem for me. Maybe not everyone....but it is for me.

Haha, why would anyone voluntarily want to inflict pain upon oneself? If you stuff yourself so fast that your brain doesn't get a chance to figure it out, then why? Don't you know? Sometimes you feel very hungry, but often it's simply that you need a little something quickly. Probably because your last meal didn't include enough that digests slowly and keeps you going for longer. Low-glycemic food is wonderful in overcoming your cravings and emotional eating.
    Options
    This:

and this:
    I removed wheat from my diet and I no longer felt like I had to stuff in as much as possible as fast as possible,

Though sugar is a bigger binge trigger for me than wheat - but a lot of things with wheat (baked goods) are sugar-laden as well. But I totally understand what the OP means, because I've been there. I can keep eating, even when I feel full, to certain foods. But I've found that eating more nutrient-dense foods is key for me, and avoid the high calorie/carb foods. Who ever overate chicken and fresh veggies??

Once I stopped feeding my body low-nutrient foods, I can more easily listen to it/hear what it is craving, and feed it that - when it needs more protein after a heavy lift day, that's what I will crave, for example. If I have a weekend where I am not eating my normal diet (I use the word diet to mean what I typically eat), like if I'm out of town, then I will be craving veggies (especially a salad!) within a couple days.

Food manufacturers know what makes food addicting (they research it, so they can make more money!), and make it that way on purpose - the precise crispness of chips/crisps, the right combo of salty and fatty (but not too much of either), the exact sweetness of sodas, etc. Additives that are addicting - MSG. I read a good article about it a few months ago - I'm still looking for it, or I'd link to it.

Who ever over ate chicken and fresh veggies? Me. That's who. It was 4 whole chicken breasts, the dolly parton sized ones. And three servings each of broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach, plus I went back and continued to eat what was left of the veggies out of the pots on the stove. I also had a one cup serving of blueberries, and a one cup serving of peaches. I can put away some veggies.