Stop rolling your eyes at fat people in the gym!

Options
They're exactly where they should be! And they have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

Instead of being a twunt, be nice. Smile. Say hello. Make them feel welcome, so they'll keep coming back.

(Added bonus: You'll feel better too.)

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have ever seen people be mean to others in the gym. I guess I am in my own world.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For the most part, people are really supportive at my gym. But there is this one little group of women who stare at me like I don't belong in the weight room.

You, who are leaning on the squat rack while talking and/or leaving your junk on a bench that I need and walking away for your 20 minute "water break". YOU don't belong here.

/end rant.
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and Yes. I see it some times at the gym I go to.. with the looks, I even heard some one coment about how this one lady was taking up time one the bike that some one else could use.... No they might not go as fast or as long on the bike as you. No they might not lift as much as you but they are trying!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    MOST people are friendly and supportive, because that's a normal, healthy way to be . . . I'm just griping at a few bad apples.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    MOST people are friendly and supportive, because that's a normal, healthy way to be . . . I'm just griping at a few bad apples.

Sadly, one bad apple is enough to ruin it for people with low self esteem :/ So, you're very very right.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    If that happens in your gym find a new one! Never happens in mind. We have all shapes and sizes and I have and never will roll my eyes at a fat person using the equipment. I'm more likely to roll my eyes at someone using the smith machine to squat that a fat person exercising.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the time people are so self conscious at the gym, they assume people are rolling their eyes, laughing, judging, etc. when really most people are just there to get their sweat on and get out.
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've never seen or given negative reactions towards fat people in the gym... Except for those with a dry shirt who hang around the check-in counter talking with employees.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I must go to the perfect gym because I just don't see this type of thing at all. What I do see is people working out, and occasionally walking up and introducing themselves to each other.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Nothing like tat at my gym,
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'll keep rolling my eyes at all the people using machines and going for eternal strolls on the treadmill hamster wheels.

Thanks. You come into my free weights area? Mad hugs for all. You keep pittering and pattering on the latest preacher curl machine to open: go back to jamba juice for your "healthy" candy.

Hard love for all. One. Hard. Love.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've gotten dirty looks once, and I think it was because I had some gnarly injuries that were stitched up. I was only walking on the treadmill, which was okay with my doctor. I just brushed it off my shoulder, then blew them a kiss with a seductive look if they continued to stare.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u are ahead of everyone still on the couch
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Nobody like that at my gym. I was one of those fat people and never saw it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    THe only people I ever rolled my eyes at where the machine hoggers (i.e I need the 5 or 6 weight equipment things so I can do my Circuit), and the guys who use free weights and literally DROP them on the ground when they are done.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

Instead of being a twunt, be nice. Smile. Say hello. Make them feel welcome, so they'll keep coming back.

I don't think I've ever heard the word "twunt" before. :laugh:

But yeah, I never really saw this kind of treatment at my gym, although I saw plenty of folks lollygagging and chatting instead of using the machines.

Part of the reason I quit and bought my own equipment. :smile:
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this occur...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have ever seen people be mean to others in the gym. I guess I am in my own world.

Not rolling eyes, but I have seen too many people trying to help them, which really just burns up their time there talking. I understand we all want to help them, but let'em get their workout in.

Heck, let ME get my workout in!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When I was going to the gym, I thought it was great to see overweight people there working...doesn't matter how slow they went, they were still trying. I commend them for that! :) And I too, was one of those people quite a few years ago...I have respect for them.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    This happened to a co-worker of mine (most employees here use the gym) and when she told me, I called the manager and had the gal making fun tossed out. That is no way to encourage people to come back to the gym and keep going.

I read one post where he saw people talking instead of working out. I do see alot of people doing this as well. I guess it would be nice to not have to work and just hang out at the gym all day to talk and work out in betweeen talking! What a life that would be!!!