What If Celebs Were Actually Full-Figured? (PICS)

Options

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    While you may view this word as just a technical, clinical word, it's perceived as quite offensive by many. Perhaps you are ignorant to this fact, or if you're not currently "obese" it's difficult to understand just how awful that word actually is. Please allow me to enlighten you with a quote from a friend:

PandaPudges: "There is not a single word in the world, when relating to body image, that pisses me off more than 'obese'. Obese, to me, is being "so big you cannot move without some form of motorized transport." So big you can barely stand anymore and even then it's a nasty, nasty word. I do not see yours or my own body type in my head when I hear that horrible word. We are curvy, we are luscious, we are voluptuous... we sure as *&@( aren't obese.... Excuse my swears O.o"

Perhaps a bit of sensitivity is on order when flinging around such phrases, especially if you yourself are not overweight or obese. I would compare it to calling a black person "colored". Is this technically a true statement? Yes, a black person has more pigmentation and therefore, possesses more color than a lighter skinned person. Is it still completely offensive and inappropriate? Certainly.

Obese is not a bad or rude word. It's the truth. So many people on here have said themselves that realizing they're considered obese was the turning point for them. Obese is a person of an unhealthy weight. Why do we have to sugar coat it??

According to this mentality, let's call people with learning disabilities and lower IQs "retards". Why sugar coat that?

Do you even hear yourself?

Obese is a word used by the AMA. According to them, at 5'7" a male at 191 lbs is obese. I weigh 190. 1 more pound and I need help to get around?

No. Obese is a technical word. Knowing I am that close, keeps me motivated.

Calling an alcoholic a "social drinker" does not make he or she less of an alcoholic. Sugar coating things does not make it better or easier to deal with. When I started this journey (cue music) I was 230lbs. You know what? I was obese. Calling me playfully pudgy did not make me healthier or feel better about myself.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    While you may view this word as just a technical, clinical word, it's perceived as quite offensive by many. Perhaps you are ignorant to this fact, or if you're not currently "obese" it's difficult to understand just how awful that word actually is. Please allow me to enlighten you with a quote from a friend:

PandaPudges: "There is not a single word in the world, when relating to body image, that pisses me off more than 'obese'. Obese, to me, is being "so big you cannot move without some form of motorized transport." So big you can barely stand anymore and even then it's a nasty, nasty word. I do not see yours or my own body type in my head when I hear that horrible word. We are curvy, we are luscious, we are voluptuous... we sure as *&@( aren't obese.... Excuse my swears O.o"

Perhaps a bit of sensitivity is on order when flinging around such phrases, especially if you yourself are not overweight or obese. I would compare it to calling a black person "colored". Is this technically a true statement? Yes, a black person has more pigmentation and therefore, possesses more color than a lighter skinned person. Is it still completely offensive and inappropriate? Certainly.

Calling an obese person obese and calling a black person colored aren't even in the same league. Hell, they're not even the same sport. Obese is a medical term used to describe someone with a level of body fat high enough to where it has a negative impact on there health. Nobody likes being obese whether they're called 'obese' or not. If you change the word to 'Poopsie daiisy' the meaning will still be the same and people won't like being called 'poopsie daisy' just as much as they don't like being called obese.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's interesting because some of "the original photos" are professional magazine photos of famous celebrities, and you can see they were already photo shopped, like a painting. So, both photos are photo shopped.

Although, I do agree with the Op, that whatever words you (or your partner or friends or audience) use to describe you, you are what you are, so what does it really matter. Is it really such a terrible tragedy if a person describes themselves one way and another person has a temporary misconception that gets cleared up anyhow (when seeing a photo or seeing them in person). Seems like a non-problem to me. And words do have multiple meanings and are interpreted differently by different people and mean different things to different people because they are subjective and have multiple meanings. Some people place personally very strict guidelines on the usage of certain words when being applied to the female body. Perhaps the misuse of words leads to misunderstandings of the meaning of words, resulting in people not wanting to use certain words because it now has a different cultural meaning. But, when it comes to words that describe body shape, the reality is that there will be variation in how that actually looks from person to person. Someone may have a "shape" based on a very one dimensional piece of data such as a measurement, but that really explains little to nothing about how that actually looks and is composed upon that person's body. And there will always be people that are slim, fit, muscular, overweight, etc...that are still all put into a "body type" category due to the fact that body type categorization is not a very accurate way of describing a person's body and does not take into account the actual level of variation that exists. And really this is not something that I consider to have a high level of importance. In real life, this sort of thing never even comes up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I seriously can't believe you just compared the use of the word obese and colored. :noway:

I NEVER hear obese as an insult. Someone says I used to be a lard@ss and I know they're being mean. Someone says I used to be obese, and they're stating facts. I'm currently at the high end of overweight and was obese up until a few months ago. I don't like thinking of myself as obese b/c the picture of obese in my brain is far larger than the size 16 jeans I was wearing, but facts are facts. I don't feel like looking up the proper definitions right now, but the people who are so big that they can't get around, probably fall into the morbidly obese category.

I think the reason you don't like obese is because it's pretty cut and dry. Curvy or full figured leaves a lot to the imagination. Obese doesn't. If you don't want to be obese, continue to work hard, and get in shape. But striking obese from your dictionary doesn't change it's existence. I can call myself voluptuous all day long but I'm still going to be overweight. Until I'm not.

The problem with obese is that is ASSUMES no shape whatsoever. Someone can be overweight and ALSO curvy (if we use the standard of boobs out, waist in, hips out). Someone can be average weight and also curvy. Someone can be obese and NOT full figured and someone can be obese and have a full figure. Obese is just a huge blanket statement with zero variation. It's clinical and has no personality whatsoever. And if you think it's not offensive, think again. There's a conversation going on on my wall right now about just how offensive it is.

There's a conversation going on on my wall right now about how aliens built the pyramids. Doesn't mean it's true.

Ok, well if you want to be absurd and completely not open to discussion, there's no point in even continuing.

Pot, meet kettle.
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Big and curvy is way different than just plain big. I'd hit it with a "plus sized" clothing model, but someone thats just plain fat... not so much. Being a former fatty I'm aloud to say it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I'll see your hypersensitivity over a clinical term that is only deemed negative if *you* choose to perceive it that way, and I'll raise you a dose of "quit finding ways to be offended by everything."

I was morbidly obese. Not just obese, but deathly so. When my doctor very plainly looked me in the eye and threw the term "morbidly obese" at me, I didn't gasp in offense, nor did I sob in the corner over being called something "nasty" and "horrible."

I was not curvy. I was not voluptuous. I was fat. Morbidly obese. And I had ZERO issue conceding that fact. It's a word. A clinical term. Does a diabetic throw a fit when you call them a diabetic? Does a person with anemia flip out when you call them anemic? No. So why on Earth do obese people throw a fit when they're called obese? Would you rather be called fat? Would you rather be called a sack of lard? I mean honestly, stop nitpicking and finding ways to be offended. If you're so utterly offended by the word "obese," perhaps you should look inward and figure out why a clinical term with no prejudice would offend you so much.

And for the love of God, obese =/= curvy or voluptuous. Let's stop trying to hide behind flowery descriptions in an effort to cover up the truth. Good lord.

Oh, and did you REALLY just make the leap of declaring that calling someone obese is akin to calling a black person "colored?" Again, obese is a clinical term with no negative connotations attached. Colored is a term that minorities were called during a time of segregation, oppression, and prejudice. Get over yourself.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

I seriously can't believe you just compared the use of the word obese and colored. :noway:

I NEVER hear obese as an insult. Someone says I used to be a lard@ss and I know they're being mean. Someone says I used to be obese, and they're stating facts. I'm currently at the high end of overweight and was obese up until a few months ago. I don't like thinking of myself as obese b/c the picture of obese in my brain is far larger than the size 16 jeans I was wearing, but facts are facts. I don't feel like looking up the proper definitions right now, but the people who are so big that they can't get around, probably fall into the morbidly obese category.

I think the reason you don't like obese is because it's pretty cut and dry. Curvy or full figured leaves a lot to the imagination. Obese doesn't. If you don't want to be obese, continue to work hard, and get in shape. But striking obese from your dictionary doesn't change it's existence. I can call myself voluptuous all day long but I'm still going to be overweight. Until I'm not.

The problem with obese is that is ASSUMES no shape whatsoever. Someone can be overweight and ALSO curvy (if we use the standard of boobs out, waist in, hips out). Someone can be average weight and also curvy. Someone can be obese and NOT full figured and someone can be obese and have a full figure. Obese is just a huge blanket statement with zero variation. It's clinical and has no personality whatsoever. And if you think it's not offensive, think again. There's a conversation going on on my wall right now about just how offensive it is.

Of course there is no SHAPE ASSUMPTION with the word obese. It is a clinical description, nothing more, nothing less. That word, on my medical record, jarred me into REALITY. Who cares that I carried my weight well, I was obese and it was not in my best health interests to remain so.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It's interesting because some of "the original photos" are professional magazine photos of famous celebrities, and you can see they were already photo shopped, like a painting. So, both photos are photo shopped.

Although, I do agree with the Op, that whatever words you (or your partner or friends or audience) use to describe you, you are what you are, so what does it really matter. Is it really such a terrible tragedy if a person describes themselves one way and another person has a temporary misconception that gets cleared up anyhow (when seeing a photo or seeing them in person). Seems like a non-problem to me. And words do have multiple meanings and are interpreted differently by different people and mean different things to different people because they are subjective and have multiple meanings. Some people place personally very strict guidelines on the usage of certain words when being applied to the female body. Perhaps the misuse of words leads to misunderstandings of the meaning of words, resulting in people not wanting to use certain words because it now has a different cultural meaning. But, when it comes to words that describe body shape, the reality is that there will be variation in how that actually looks from person to person. Someone may have a "shape" based on a very one dimensional piece of data such as a measurement, but that really explains little to nothing about how that actually looks and is composed upon that person's body. And there will always be people that are slim, fit, muscular, overweight, etc...that are still all put into a "body type" category due to the fact that body type categorization is not a very accurate way of describing a person's body and does not take into account the actual level of variation that exists. And really this is not something that I consider to have a high level of importance. In real life, this sort of thing never even comes up.

Exactly. And with this, I bow out. I couldn't say it any better myself.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

If you find it so offensive, then stop being obese. I feel like I have to be blunt at this point because you're not being rational. People don't choose to be white, black, mentally challenged, little people, sick, etc. Using derogatory names for them is not the same as using a clinical name for someone who is overweight. If you want to compare fat@*kitten* with ret@rd, I might be able to climb on board. But obese is on the same playing field with mentally challenged. You don't like the word because you don't like being obese and you want to be something different. SO DO IT.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

According to this mentality, let's call people with learning disabilities and lower IQs "retards". Why sugar coat that?

Do you even hear yourself?

shocked-cat-o.gif

Clearly, you don't hear yourself.

Something is very wrong with you.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I'll see your hypersensitivity over a clinical term that is only deemed negative if *you* choose to perceive it that way, and I'll raise you a dose of "quit finding ways to be offended by everything."

I was morbidly obese. Not just obese, but deathly so. When my doctor very plainly looked me in the eye and threw the term "morbidly obese" at me, I didn't gasp in offense, nor did I sob in the corner over being called something "nasty" and "horrible."

I was not curvy. I was not voluptuous. I was fat. Morbidly obese. And I had ZERO issue conceding that fact. It's a word. A clinical term. Does a diabetic throw a fit when you call them a diabetic? Does a person with anemia flip out when you call them anemic? No. So why on Earth do obese people throw a fit when they're called obese? Would you rather be called fat? Would you rather be called a sack of lard? I mean honestly, stop nitpicking and finding ways to be offended. If you're so utterly offended by the word "obese," perhaps you should look inward and figure out why a clinical term with no prejudice would offend you so much.

And for the love of God, obese =/= curvy or voluptuous. Let's stop trying to hide behind flowery descriptions in an effort to cover up the truth. Good lord.

Oh, and did you REALLY just make the leap of declaring that calling someone obese is akin to calling a black person "colored?" Again, obese is a clinical term with no negative connotations attached. Colored is a term that minorities were called during a time of segregation, oppression, and prejudice. Get over yourself.

Soulmates.
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to point out that the term "BBW" is used a little too loosely sometimes. To qualify one must be both Big and Beautiful... one who who is simply big does not necessarily meet the criteria.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept, poor execution. They just made the legs and butts bigger without really taking into consideration how anatomy works. Also adding sides to a face doesn't really add weight. I don't know about you guys, but even my nose has been getting skinner. I think it would be more interesting to see what these ladies would look like with real weight on their faces obstructing their facial features.

IN for the skinnier nose

fake-a-thin-nose.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Also wanted to point out that the term "BBW" is used a little too loosely sometimes. To qualify one must be both Big and Beautiful... one who who is simply big does not necessarily meet the criteria.

Thread WINNER!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Inner beauty? :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Obese is not a bad or rude word. It's the truth. So many people on here have said themselves that realizing they're considered obese was the turning point for them. Obese is a person of an unhealthy weight. Why do we have to sugar coat it??

How about we switch the word obese for round? That's what my 6y.o. says after my "round" aunt and "round" mother lectured her about how it's not nice to tell people they're fat :huh:

Last year I gained back weight - not much but enough - spawn says to me: "mom, you're looking less straight and more round"

Would round be more acceptable?

No Obese is obese! Just deal with it.

^ now it doesn't even look like a real word anymore.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    I wouldn't consider that "Full Figured", maybe obese.

Let's not get into semantics wars here. Everyone has their own idea of what "full-figured", "curvy" and "fat" is and I really don't want this topic turning into a discussion of which label is the right one. It doesn't really matter.

No thanks jeff. I'd honestly rather have a nice clean weiner in my mouth and I'm not even gay.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

Got your BBW over here!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hey - if you don't like being called obese, folks .... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

*says the medically-labeled obese woman*
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

You're comparing calling someone a retard to calling someone obese? A little off base, don't you think?

Also, the proper term is mentally challenged, but I'm sure you already know that.

is it? I thought "Developmentally disabled" was the current acceptable nomenclature