This is a photoshop - signed, a graphic artist. (with pics)

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bwahaha! So, let me get this straight.... the trend is to make black women look lighter, but black men look darker? What's up with that?

In case you are serious... here's my guess. The darkened skin vs the brightened lighting (note the light parts are MUCH lighter) makes the muscle definition look more dramatic, due to higher contrast. In real life, fitness people get tanned, oil up, and go under bright lights for the very same reason.

But, on a woman (unless it's a fitness shot) they usually want a smoother look, so they'd lighten up the skin tone to reduce contrast.

Thanks, I was serious. I didn't know why they would do that.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am so 'into' this thread! Thanks for posting! I just was browsing through the Macy's website and now I can spot the 'floating' heads ALL OVER THE PLACE!! I can finally see what I previously viewed as an 'off' looking picture- the heads don't seem the right size for the bodies! I would think this advanced computer software would let you know when the scale is off, lol!

Thanks for the entertainment and education! I can't wait to show my teenage daughters this weekend!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bunping to follow
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This was fascinating to read through! Thank you for posting this and I look forward to more posts!
  • katiethedetermined1
    katiethedetermined1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump ~ because I am at work and the pictures don't pull up, its killing me!!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    def want to bump for later read! i love this thread!!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Miranda Kerr, on the right. Her neck is stretched (compare to different pic of her below). Her arm and hand in front of the dress looks unnatural.

1368035394_gwyneth-paltrow-miranda-kerr-lg.jpg

1280351134_miranda-lg.jpg
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    Editing photographs is definitely not a new process. This has been going on since the invention of photography: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/02/famously-doctored-photographs/

Nonetheless, I appreciate the message of the thread. Comparing one's self to a celebrity or holding our expectations up to that level is silly and unrealistic for most of us.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

582577_382461391822740_2053386413_n.jpg

and creepy...

I love the caption. The height of irony there.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    In for more Photoshop shenanigans.

Ditto. I'm not done looking at these.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Bwahaha! So, let me get this straight.... the trend is to make black women look lighter, but black men look darker? What's up with that?

In case you are serious... here's my guess. The darkened skin vs the brightened lighting (note the light parts are MUCH lighter) makes the muscle definition look more dramatic, due to higher contrast. In real life, fitness people get tanned, oil up, and go under bright lights for the very same reason.

But, on a woman (unless it's a fitness shot) they usually want a smoother look, so they'd lighten up the skin tone to reduce contrast.

No. They do it to black women because they want to continue to send messages to us that the lighter the better. The closer you are to a white person, the more attractive you are. They've done it to almost every famous black woman. It's sickening.
  • deksgrl
    Options

No. They do it to black women because they want to continue to send messages to us that the lighter the better. The closer you are to a white person, the more attractive you are. They've done it to almost every famous black woman. It's sickening.

Here is an article on the subject, with pics:
    http://www.11points.com/Misc/11_Celebrities_Who_Were_Photoshopped_To_Have_Darker_or_Lighter_Skin

And another, on celebs purposely trying to look lighter:
    http://collegecandy.com/2012/11/29/celebrity-lighten-skin/#photo=9
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    amazing thread
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options

Yet they never have trouble turning a white woman darker than she could naturally get! LIke having ethnic features is so ugly they have to lighten you up as much possible to down play them. I'm very light skinned, can't tan to save my life, but all my features and body shape reflect my spanish heritage - I'll tell ya it's not hot! No one knows what I am. I'd give anything to be a "normal" skin tone for my ethnicity. And gosh, black women, black skin, the darker it gets, its just beautiful. Haha and as an artist I don't just mean the skin, I mean the actual color standing on its own is just a beautiful color. It's powerful, rich, luxurious color. And with the red undertone it complements almost everything. I don't understand why they do it either except to be racist.

You ever notice advertising in different neighborhoods? You'll notice big business tv commercials, like in Denver, a heavily populated white city - the ads are very multi-cultural, often including one of every race.
    In Albuquerque and Phoenix with heavy hispanic populations, you see a lot of mexicans on thier own, or whites on thier own, but you don't see them together as much.
    In Memphis where it's heavier black population you'll see the ratio of blacks in commercials aren't proportionate to the population.
    They do that because in a white city if they show ethnic people equal with whites, sales for the "next big thing" jump considerably. (sales suggest they want to be ahead, not equal)
    In cities with higher minority rates they show more happy white people without minorities around and sales spike amongst minorities. (suggesting deep down minorities want to be "equa" or "as good" as whites)

I know that sounds awful, but, there is racism still and we know this because it drives the market. Just like we are all shocked how extreme the photoshopping is. Bottom line the Dove "real woman" campaign got a lot of attention, but the sales simply didn't improve. There is no evidence women want to see healthy normal women, not according to the sales. And thats what drives the race war in advertising as well.

I wish there was more justice in that, I hate anything that shames people into buying. But that shame, gosh its a powerful emotion and we just eat it out of their hands.
  • IronRangeGirl
    IronRangeGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    in for more!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump for more
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    in..just in
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You ever notice advertising in different neighborhoods?

Wow, I never knew there was so much behind the advertising. Generally I might try something the first time because of advertising, but if I find something similar for less money, I don't stick with the brand. Interesting what you said about Dove, I like Dove products so I use them, have done since before their real women campaigns. Never thought about whether or not that ad was effective or not.