This is a photoshop - signed, a graphic artist. (with pics)

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    image.jpg

here's that fitness model again. she is definitely beautiful and in top shape, but you can tell that on the magazine cover, they nipped in her midsection and completely changed it with softening/shading. she is definitely busty, but they definitely used the shading to enhance the look of her bust. looks like they downplayed her thighs, also.

edit: you're gonna have to click->view image. sorry guys :D

wow that was enlightening, they completely changed her stomach, gave her a new navel, smoothed all her skin out and I think stretched her arm?!

Well, we don't know when each photo was taken. The competition photo, generally people who compete cannot keep that level of body fat at all times. They train specifically to lower their body fat for that competition and is difficult to sustain. So when the magazine cover was taken she could have been at a higher body fat % than the competition photo. No doubt they did some liberal photoshopping but perhaps not so drastic as the difference in these two photos. The competition photo could be like 10-12% body fat, where the mag cover she may have been at 16%.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    bumpity bumpdy bump .. definitely wanna follow this thread !!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bump! Something I always new happened in magazines but didn't realize it was all over websites and 'healthy' motivational images!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    In this TED talk, "Cameron Russell: Looks Aren't Everything. Believe Me, I'm a Model," a woman talks about her experiences as a beautiful person & model; she also shows some striking picture comparisons of herself as her everyday, normal self and her model self during the same timeframe. (The pic comparisons start at 5:33, but I think the whole talk is worth watching...it's about 10 minutes long.)

http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model.html
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    In for the roll-over.

Oh, and as for the Brittany cover photo: imagine her lifting her head straight up off that shoulder...notice anything? :laugh:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like... I rememeber when the Super Nintendo came out, *and* my cousins got a color tv in their game room, so suddenly Super Mario World was this hyper-realistic practically 3-D experience, at least compared to Pole Position on a 12" black-and-white tv. But I don't *still* see it that way, it just looks blocky now.

Now I'm seeing floating heads and giraffe necks everywhere. And the armpits! It makes them look like shoulders, which my brain is now interpreting as models having their arms on backwards. It's all very disturbing.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    BBC article about an H&M 'plus sized' model
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22508670

any 'shopping in this? there is one pic (standing in the sea http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67591000/jpg/_67591401_copm624.jpg) where it looks as though they've smoothed the side of her tummy/hip and thighs..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    BBC article about an H&M 'plus sized' model
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22508670

any 'shopping in this? there is one pic (standing in the sea http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67591000/jpg/_67591401_copm624.jpg) where it looks as though they've smoothed the side of her tummy/hip and thighs..

_67591401_copm624.jpg

In the blue bathing suit, either it is a super duper "slimmer" suit, or they trimmed her waist. I've never seen a slimmer suit do in real life what they do in the ads. Also there is a very weird shadow on her shoulder that I can't figure out. If it is a shadow cast by her head, the shadow would be on the whole shoulder, not just the end of her shoulder with light in between. Her arms look really odd too. On the two piece bathing suit picture, they stretched her neck ridiculously.

Sad thing is, she looks like a normal woman to me, not "plus size".
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    yes, she is a US 14 so only 'plus sized' as a model!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jocosase
    Jocosase Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In for the roll-over.

Oh, and as for the Brittany cover photo: imagine her lifting her head straight up off that shoulder...notice anything? :laugh:

Oh wow! No shoulder and it's higher than the other shoulder. Crazy.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wonder if celebrities think of themselves as those perfect Photoshopped versions of themselves because that's what they see in photos most of the time, or do you think they are shocked when they see edited versions of themselves with teeny waists and Barbie doll legs?

I remember an interview with Nicole Richie many years back. She was still heavier, and they photoshopped her skinny, with long legs, a big butt, and large breast. She knew the breasts and waist line were not hers, but she wasn't sure if everything else was hers or photoshopped.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    this makes me feel sick :/

It makes me feel sick too and angry. I get so angry when I think about lies being pushed off onto us and we should want to strive for those lies. Makes me so mad.

They photoshopped my girl crush Kate Upton for God's sake! What is this world coming to? And then when I think of men beating their little pieces of meat off to these cartoon character's it makes me want to punch puppies! (not really but it makes me mad)

GRRRRRRRRRRR!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Ugh I do photography on the side and I do some design work and stuff too. It's amazing how many people want me to photoshop their pictures xD I have a strict no photoshop policy. In that I won't CHANGE features but I will enhance. I've enhanced eyes hidden in shadows before (but it was a BABY so I think that's a bit better LOL). I will only whiten teeth a bit or fix a zit or two if they're really bad looking. And once I removed really bad stretch marks from a maternity shoot. Otherwise I never touch photos. I don't add shadows or enhance busts or butts. I'm proud that I don't because it's really poopin' stupid!>< All these pictures are horrible!

Bravo to you...I still wouldnt have removed the stretch marks because thats pregnancy in all its glory, but still kudos to you.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    We should all feel so much better about ourselves looking at that, lol

That's why I much rather look at MFP peeps before and after pics instead of Kardash weight loss photos.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna get my shoulder cropped off on my next pic, lol.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Bwahaha! So, let me get this straight.... the trend is to make black women look lighter, but black men look darker? What's up with that?

In case you are serious... here's my guess. The darkened skin vs the brightened lighting (note the light parts are MUCH lighter) makes the muscle definition look more dramatic, due to higher contrast. In real life, fitness people get tanned, oil up, and go under bright lights for the very same reason.

But, on a woman (unless it's a fitness shot) they usually want a smoother look, so they'd lighten up the skin tone to reduce contrast.

No. They do it to black women because they want to continue to send messages to us that the lighter the better. The closer you are to a white person, the more attractive you are. They've done it to almost every famous black woman. It's sickening.

They sure do it and it's disgusting! I was looking at a beautiful picture of Ella Fitzgerald and the thought crossed my mind that 1. she probably wouldn't have survived on her timeless voice alone in today's market because she wasnt the perfect media image not that she wasnt beautiful but not what we are all supposed to buy into 2. They would have made her look more white in photos.