Abercrombie and Fitch CEO "hates fat chicks"

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Interesting that people are saying Gap runs smaller than old navy. They are owned by the same company. In old navy the xs is too big for me. I'm going to check out gap. Maybe they are offering clothes to people that got sized out of old navy.

its these new "cuts"...

I used to live for Gap's reverse fit jeans.. now everything is skinny, extra skinny and whatnot... Old Navy has DIva cut, Flirty cut and more.... I can wear size 10 in 1 cut, 12 in others all from SAME company/brand...
    and just last week I was able to get up & button size 8 in Gap jeans.... I weigh 170 pounds... 5'7.5"
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    As a fat chick, I don't give a rats *kitten*. He is entitled to his preferences. Why do people think that they are the only one who is allowed to have an opinion? Get over it.

I don't mind him having an opinion, just as long as he keeps it to himself in polite society like almost everyone else does. Except that I think he is purposely rattling some cages and then that's just another thing altogether. I take Binary's point quite well actually however, not surprising. Except again that his opinions border on rant like and shock value and seem disingenuine for this.

I don't expect anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves because I don't intend to keep mine to MYSELF. Free speech. It's not very polite after all to tell people that they can only say things that you approve of. I say he can say what ever he wants, if I don't like what he says, I am sure it wont keep me up tonight, or any other night, because I will get over it.
    QFT

It's marketing. He wants a certain market to buy his clothes so that's who he markets them to. Straight business.
    Thank you. This whole outrage thing is ridiculous. He has a clientele he wants to market to. Would you be justified in being outraged if you went into an Italian restaurant and demanded some General Tso's chicken? No, because that is not what they sell. So he only wants to cater to small people, get over it, find someplace else to shop and stop making it big news. There are worse things going on in the world than normal everyday business strategies. Besides, being outraged about it isn't gonna do much, because most of the people offended or outraged by it, are the same people that never shopped there in the first place, so why in the world does the company care that a bunch of people that aren't buying their clothes, STILL aren't going to buy their clothes? They're doing perfectly well without you.

I totally agree with everything you have written, it is called CAPITALISM. People have to much time on their hands to worry about what this man may have said or no said. He is entitled to do and say what he wants about his clothes and you are entitled to take your money elsewhere - simple solution.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    i am assuming the irony is lost on a lot of people who are judging him for judging people

So true, they are no better than he is.
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    He made this statement in 2006 so all of those who are so called boycotting his store... uhh to late.. second note.. all kinds of stores are meant for a certain type of people.. its what they do.. let the skinny girls ***** because layne Bryant doesn't carry their sizes.. or I'm gonna cry because Victoria secret doesn't carry underwear for me.. I mean seriously. Let it go.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't get the uproar.

Why would you want to wear their clothes if they don't want you? Seems counter-intuitive.

I couldn't agree more.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Interesting that people are saying Gap runs smaller than old navy. They are owned by the same company. In old navy the xs is too big for me. I'm going to check out gap. Maybe they are offering clothes to people that got sized out of old navy.

its these new "cuts"...

I used to live for Gap's reverse fit jeans.. now everything is skinny, extra skinny and whatnot... Old Navy has DIva cut, Flirty cut and more.... I can wear size 10 in 1 cut, 12 in others all from SAME company/brand...
    and just last week I was able to get up & button size 8 in Gap jeans.... I weigh 170 pounds... 5'7.5"

The sizes are getting bigger. I have to wear a 00 now, and in many stores the smallest size is too big. They sell the skinny and extra skinny, to try and still have options for the slimmer people. But, I don't want to wear those "skinny styles". I am small, but my figure is still curvy and I look better in a style that is made to compliment a curvy shape. The straighter shaped styles don't fit me right because of my curves. In J.Crew the 00 is too big for me. They aren't making sizes smaller, they are making them bigger. People should not place so much importance on being able to fit into the same size in all stores. Clothing size is not a good fitness measurement because it is so arbitrary and variable. Better to just take one's own measurements, that is more specific. I can wear anything from a size 00 to a 4 or an xxs, xs, or s (that is actually a 4 size range). In some stores a small fits me, in other stores the extra small is swimming on me. The stores are not trying to size out larger sizes. They are just trying to make sure every size can still wear clothing. They want to sell clothes. They aren't high end designers. They are in mass marketing to the largest span of the market they can reach. So smaller people and larger people have trouble finding clothing (because both are not "average" size). It is the way it is and will always be. Small people need clothing too, and contrary to what everyone thinks, people that are very small have trouble finding clothing that fits (in adult styles). Places like A&F are made for teenagers. They have plus size store. But, it is very challenging to find small size stores. There are some online companies and they sell their products in some stores, but even many of those stores will carry their product, but will not sell the smallest sizes available (defeating the purpose).
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    The "hatred" part is a bit much... Imho.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It's his right as a business owner and its their loss on that group of customers their not marketing. oh well, I wouldn't shop there anyway. overpriced in my opinion.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Part of the zombie thread campaign. It's ok when a store is plus sized. And it's ok when a store is juniors sized. But, I dislike the reasoning and statements made by the guy and it's especially not cool for a teenager company.