Abercrombie and Fitch CEO "hates fat chicks"

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    His appearance is fair game when he says that only attractive people deserve to wear his clothes, and that some people should be excluded for their appearance, popularity, et cetera.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    cd60627cf5a287798b2a63462bad8b25.jpg
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not falling for anything... and I think you're missing the underlying point of what I'm saying. People assume he is shaming others and yet they sit here and do the same thing to him.

I agree about that point.

I was addressing everyone who is putting "hates fat chicks" in quotes, as if he said it.

Alright we need to pump the breaks right here. I don't know how this sort of thinking got started but it needs to stop. Not every asymmetrical situation is born from hypocrisy. We imprison people who commit violent crimes but we don't want to be imprisoned ourselves. I want some people to be treated differently than me. It is possible to do something that will make you deserving of hostility from others.

This man has said shameful things and as a result he deserves to be shamed for it. If you go around saying "Well your shaming him so you are no better." you are making people like this bullet proof because holding someone accountable might mean you have to shame them. This guy said things that should cost him business and people who call him out on it are fully justified.

You just equated imprisoning criminals to mocking someone's personal appearance for a shallow remark that he made. Its not making him bulletproof, its holding yourself to a higher standard.

Boycott his business, that's way more of a stance than attacking his personal appearance which sometimes people have no control over.

You have got to be kidding me. I did not equate the two at all. There was no point where I said that shallow people who mock someone's personal appearance should be treated like criminals. All I was doing was showing that not all asymmetrical situations are born from hypocrisy by means of analogy. I can't for the life of me imagine how you could not have gotten that.

You haven't achieved some higher standard simply because you choose not to point out this *kitten* for being a hypocrite. I agree that boycotting his business is a more powerful stance and I do. That doesn't mean we shouldn't call a duck and duck. Before you get confused I am not actually calling the CEO a duck.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not falling for anything... and I think you're missing the underlying point of what I'm saying. People assume he is shaming others and yet they sit here and do the same thing to him.

I agree about that point.

I was addressing everyone who is putting "hates fat chicks" in quotes, as if he said it.

Alright we need to pump the breaks right here. I don't know how this sort of thinking got started but it needs to stop. Not every asymmetrical situation is born from hypocrisy. We imprison people who commit violent crimes but we don't want to be imprisoned ourselves. I want some people to be treated differently than me. It is possible to do something that will make you deserving of hostility from others.

This man has said shameful things and as a result he deserves to be shamed for it. If you go around saying "Well your shaming him so you are no better." you are making people like this bullet proof because holding someone accountable might mean you have to shame them. This guy said things that should cost him business and people who call him out on it are fully justified.

You just equated imprisoning criminals to mocking someone's personal appearance for a shallow remark that he made. Its not making him bulletproof, its holding yourself to a higher standard.

Boycott his business, that's way more of a stance than attacking his personal appearance which sometimes people have no control over.

You have got to be kidding me. I did not equate the two at all. There was no point where I said that shallow people who mock someone's personal appearance should be treated like criminals. All I was doing was showing that not all asymmetrical situations are born from hypocrisy by means of analogy. I can't for the life of me imagine how you could not have gotten that.

You haven't achieved some higher standard simply because you choose not to point out this *kitten* for being a hypocrite. I agree that boycotting his business is a more powerful stance and I do. That doesn't mean we shouldn't call a duck and duck. Before you get confused I am not actually calling the CEO a duck.
    Oh, bless her heart. Your words are too big. It confuses people.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    And this is why my children and i will not purchasing anything that comes from A & F-Simple and sweet!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mmi32yxR901qz4rgp.png

Isn't that their CEO?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with developing a business model that caters to slender people?

Should slender women hate Torrid?
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure why people are so upset about this? For many years, about 20, I could not shop in this store, although my girls loved it and shopped there when they were in high school, and yes, I paid the bills. The only reason that I couldn't shop there was because I made bad choices and as a result, I was too large to fit into any of these clothes. Now that I can fit into them, I really have no desire. I never got mad at the store, I simply took some personal responsibility (I know, this phrase will baffle most people these days) and owned the fact that I was too large through no fault of A&F. Don't get me wrong, I don't support their advertising as I can rarely figure out what it is they are trying to sell since most of the models have very little clothing on, but still, if I don't support them I simply just don't shop there! Thankfully my girls have grown past that look so A&F no longer get anymore of my money. On a somewhat related note, should skinny people protest against Lane Bryant since you have to be a size 14 to shop there? I'm just sayin....
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with developing a business model that caters to slender people?

Should slender women hate Torrid?

I dont hear skinny chicks bemoaning Lane Bryant......
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Isn't that their CEO?

He totally is :bigsmile:

ScreenShot2013-05-15at21039PM.png
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have no problem what so ever with A&F's marketing plan. Most every store makes their clothing only in certain sizes. My favorite stores are Express, Limited, Banana Republic... one of the reasons I watned to lose weight was so I could continue wearing my favorite brands (My size 10 pants were getting too small and that's the largest size Express sales)

Victoria Secret also does the same thing. They only sale up to about a size 10 or 12.

On the flip side we all know there are lots of stores who cater to larger girls. I've walked past Lane Bryant in the mall and seen cute stuff on their manochins. However, I don't go in b/c I know they don't carry a size 10. I'm not mad at them about it either.

I think it's ok for A&F to have a niche market. However, i will agree that the CEO probably shouldn't go into an interview and talk about how he doesn't want to sale clothes to fat people. That's just asking for trouble.
  • whierd
    Options

Isn't that their CEO?

He totally is :bigsmile:

ScreenShot2013-05-15at21039PM.png

Combatting perceived shaming with blatant shaming? Mature.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have no problem what so ever with A&F's marketing plan. Most every store makes their clothing only in certain sizes. My favorite stores are Express, Limited, Banana Republic... one of the reasons I watned to lose weight was so I could continue wearing my favorite brands (My size 10 pants were getting too small and that's the largest size Express sales)

Victoria Secret also does the same thing. They only sale up to about a size 10 or 12.

On the flip side we all know there are lots of stores who cater to larger girls. I've walked past Lane Bryant in the mall and seen cute stuff on their manochins. However, I don't go in b/c I know they don't carry a size 10. I'm not mad at them about it either.

I think it's ok for A&F to have a niche market. However, i will agree that the CEO probably shouldn't go into an interview and talk about how he doesn't want to sale clothes to fat people. That's just asking for trouble.

Just to be clear, because it bears repeating, he also said:

"We go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."
  • zoose
    zoose Posts: 10
    Options
    The irony is that all of this outrage seems to be coming from Lane Bryant customers. If only Casual Male XL would sell smaller jeans in my size. *feign outrage*
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I love people having the freedom to do as they choose. I love a free market.

I also love that people can not shop at places they don't agree with and run them out of business. A&F used to be much more popular than it is now, particulary in the late 90's early 2000's. I have not doubt that it will go away some day.
  • whierd
    Options

"We go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Yes, because they want a certain image associated with their clothing. He was definitely an *kitten* for saying what he did and for equating fat with being uncool, though.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

the sort of attitude that the CEO has will only go to continue perpetuating social divisions and bullying in schools. i'm sure it'll encourage disordered eating too. what an @$$hat. i said it. he's not good looking, but that's hardly the point. he has an ugly soul.

also, binarypulsar's point was well made--she is naturally svelte/thin. but i really don't think that has anything to do with the fact that A&F's ceo is a total *kitten* and is basically allowing said culture to spread like a virus.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The irony is that all of this outrage seems to be coming from Lane Bryant customers. If only Casual Male XL would sell smaller jeans in my size. *feign outrage*

I know, it must be so hard to have dozens of clothing stores with CUTE clothes to shop at for every one plus size store you want to shop at.

Besides, most "trendy' plus size stores do have 'regular' sized clothes. Torrid is part of hot topic, Forever 21 sells both average and extended sizes, Lane Bryant is the sister company of Fashion Bug. .
  • bwalker0823
    bwalker0823 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Meh, their clothes are poorly made and overpriced.

Fun fact: The only time I wore Abercrombie and Fitch was when I was an overweight middle schooler.

This is hilarious-he is hideous-I never shopped their anyhow-what a freaking joke
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Didn't FUBU start this about 20 years ago?