Abercrombie and Fitch CEO "hates fat chicks"

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have not shopped at that store and do not defend any poor choices they make.

But, that aside, it is important to know that there are a lot of plus sized only stores.

Also, the vast majority of stores do not sell the xxs sizes. So, when there is a store that specializes in smaller sizes, only sells smaller sizes, or sells sizes in smaller sizes that are a size small (instead of selling an extra small that is actually a medium). Those are the stores I am going to shop at, and take note of and know that I will be able to go to that store and actually find clothing that fits me.

Whenever I hear people complaining that a certain store only sells small sizes I go check it out because maybe that will be a place that will be easy for me to shop at, that will have a wider selection and will actually maybe even have some items that fit me. Small people need clothing and lingerie also. The reality is that anyone that is either larger than average or smaller than average is going to have trouble finding clothing, and as a result there will be companies that cater to smaller people and companies that cater to larger people.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    As a fat chick, I don't give a rats *kitten*. He is entitled to his preferences. Why do people think that they are the only one who is allowed to have an opinion? Get over it.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Meh, their clothes are poorly made and overpriced.

Fun fact: The only time I wore Abercrombie and Fitch was when I was an overweight middle schooler.

I go there because they objectify their male employees. Mama likes.

Your posts crack me up every time
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    As a fat chick, I don't give a rats *kitten*. He is entitled to his preferences. Why do people think that they are the only one who is allowed to have an opinion? Get over it.

I don't mind him having an opinion, just as long as he keeps it to himself in polite society like almost everyone else does. Except that I think he is purposely rattling some cages and then that's just another thing altogether. I take Binary's point quite well actually however, not surprising. Except again that his opinions border on rant like and shock value and seem disingenuine for this.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Stores like Lane Bryant only cater to plus size. How is that different? It's the clientele he chooses to bring into his store. As someone who wouldn't fit into the clothes there, it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the nauseating scent that triggers my chronic migraines. That pisses me off.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Abercrombie in college. This is old news. You absolutely had to have a certain "look" to work there.,,,,,,,,and the clothing catered to that clientele as well.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I don't mind him having an opinion, just as long as he keeps it to himself in polite society like almost everyone else does. Except that I think he is purposely rattling some cages and then that's just another thing altogether. I take Binary's point quite well actually however, not surprising. Except again that his opinions border on rant like and shock value and seem disingenuine for this.

Yeah, it's good when a store caters to small people because they are trying to fill a void in the market. But, it's not cool the reasons behind why A&F is doing that.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I don't expect anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves because I don't intend to keep mine to MYSELF. Free speech. It's not very polite after all to tell people that they can only say things that you approve of. I say he can say what ever he wants, if I don't like what he says, I am sure it wont keep me up tonight, or any other night, because I will get over it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I love how they turned him only making size 10 and under to he "hates fat chicks".

The guy sounds like a douche, don't get me wrong.
  • crista_b
    Options

I don't expect anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves because I don't intend to keep mine to MYSELF. Free speech. It's not very polite after all to tell people that they can only say things that you approve of. I say he can say what ever he wants, if I don't like what he says, I am sure it wont keep me up tonight, or any other night, because I will get over it.
    QFT

It's marketing. He wants a certain market to buy his clothes so that's who he markets them to. Straight business.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

But, that aside, it is important to know that there are a lot of plus sized only stores.

Also, the vast majority of stores do not sell the xxs sizes. So, when there is a store that specializes in smaller sizes, only sells smaller sizes, or sells sizes in smaller sizes that are a size small (instead of selling an extra small that is actually a medium). Those are the stores I am going to shop at, and take note of and know that I will be able to go to that store and actually find clothing that fits me.

Whenever I hear people complaining that a certain store only sells small sizes I go check it out because maybe that will be a place that will be easy for me to shop at, that will have a wider selection and will actually maybe even have some items that fit me. Small people need clothing and lingerie also. The reality is that anyone that is either larger than average or smaller than average is going to have trouble finding clothing, and as a result there will be companies that cater to smaller people and companies that cater to larger people.

This is a good perspective from the other side. I think anyone can specialize in anything they wish but someone is always going to yell fire.

The problem I have is it's just dumb as a company to associate yourself with hating on any type of person. He obviously lost his censor button in all that high society. Other than that, I couldn't care less about his opinion.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    How can this be a suprise? Have you been into one of their stores? It's all 'sample sizes' from what I remember.

I'm pretty sure someone in the UK sued them. They fired her because she was disabled and didn't fit their image.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This is old news. People still care about Abercrombie and Fitch?

Exactly.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Their clothes suck anyways.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Stores like Lane Bryant only cater to plus size. How is that different? It's the clientele he chooses to bring into his store. As someone who wouldn't fit into the clothes there, it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the nauseating scent that triggers my chronic migraines. That pisses me off.

Lane Bryant has better quality.

But I don't shop there anymore. I get my stuff from Hoe'sRus.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Their clothes suck anyways.

That is why I don't let you wear any.
  • crista_b
    Options

Lane Bryant has better quality.

But I don't shop there anymore. I get my stuff from Hoe'sRus.
    Do they have a website? :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I took my daughters in there one time, and they found a boatload of stuff on sale--I mean a ton things. As the nasty little sale person was ringing up our stuff (I mean tons, maybe 30 items or more--it was a huge sale), I asked him about their perfume, and he looked up at me, and gave me a snarl and smugly said...that's number 8 or something like that....

I said, wow...are you having a good day, because your attitude is kinda, ummmm....not cool. He looked a bit shocked, straighten up just a wee bit, and keep ringing up our HUGE load of stuff and didn't bother to answer me. As I was watching him ring our stuff up...I was looking around at the weird pics and told my daughters, ya know what? I don't like the "tudes" up in here--my two daughters whispered to me and said--that's why we never come in here--it's weird up in here, mother--let's go somewhere else--to Lucky Brand instead. I said, you're right! The young dude looked at me and rolled his prissy eyes and continued ringing up our huge purchase. I just looked at him--with one eye brow raised. When it got to the last item, it gave me the total...which was a lot and he dared to say, hmmmph he gave me the total.... I looked at him and said:

"Ya know what sweetie...I don't like your attitude--I've changed my mind--I'm not getting any of this stuff, I'm going to take my daughters to Lucky Brand instead and give them our money and business instead of you--so you can just cancel that big huge order and have fun putting all that stuff back....then I said--- HMMMMPH!

He looked at me and said, oh my God, I'm sorry, I'm sorry--I'm soooo sorry!!!! I told him I am too--next time he'd better treat people like he wants to be treated, and not like your customers are doing you a favor honey and my daughters and I flounced out the store with prissy delight and shopped until we dropped at Lucky Brand instead (which is one of my daughters favorite stores).

My daughters have NEVER stepped their skinny selves in that store since!

Hmmmmmph :smooched:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

This is a good perspective from the other side. I think anyone can specialize in anything they wish but someone is always going to yell fire.

The problem I have is it's just dumb as a company to associate yourself with hating on any type of person. He obviously lost his censor button in all that high society. Other than that, I couldn't care less about his opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you.