It's extremely hard to eat healthy when your hubby doesn't.

Options

Replies

• Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Don't cook him breakfast? Hand him a protein bar instead. Maybe he'll get the hint.

How on earth is a protein bar any better than a pancake?

One, it is pre-made so she doesn't have to cook anything for him, and two, I eat a protein bar for breakfast because I need that protein for my nutrition goals. It's 200 calories and easy to eat at work. I don't wake up in time to cook breakfast. I don't see it as a bad thing.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Tell him to make his own pancakes and a green smoothie for you while he's at it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My rule, if you don't want what I'm eating, you can cook it yourself if you are a grown man. Act like one and be an adult and make your own meals
    BOOM
    Problem solved.
  • GreeneyedVixen711
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have children & a husband that all eat things that I can't have. It is incredibly tempting. It took me a little while without it to be able to say "No" while they're all saying "Yes". Instead of cooking their foods & eating with them, I learned to fix myself something & eat BEFORE I cook their food. I don't get to sit down & eat with them, but until I can get the "want" out of my system, then it's easier this way. Secondly, regardless of what many "die hard" health addicts tell you, it is okay to eat things like that with limits. Example: you ate the one pancake & now you are choosing to eat healthy the rest of the day. I also saw some other really great options in some other comments on here, like cooking healthier options for pancakes. If I must have one, I eat mine with fruit & yogurt on top instead of syrup. Someone else suggested the protein powder pancakes as well. I also saw adding extra workout time for every "splurge" that you allow yourself. Just hang in there & keep your chin up! Don't get discouraged!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I've lost 136 lbs without my husband eating "healthy." That being said, I generally don't go out of my way to cook something for him that I don't plan on eating myself. He eats what I eat (and has no problem doing so because I'm a damn good cook), but he just eats larger portions.

I've never told him, "You can't eat this because it doesn't fit into MY day."

He is responsible for what he eats, and I am responsible for what I eat. Stop making excuses.

Oh, and you seriously can't not eat a pancake? Lady, I love pancakes. I could live on them. Yet it's extremely easy for me to say, "Nah, not worth it today." Willpower. Get some.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My little rant. Take this morning for instance. I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast, but hubby wants buttermilk pancakes, so I'm cooking pancakes. I can't fix pancakes and not eat one, it's just too hard. I don't have that kind of will power, at least not yet. So oh well, all I know is I'll just have to try to eat good the rest of the day. I'll have my smoothie & hard boiled egg for lunch and fix chicken breast for dinner. Food is the toughest thing for me to deal with, especially when hubby is always eating bad stuff in front of me or having me fix it.

Why in the world are you fixing your husbands pancakes? Does he not know how to work the oven? If he wants a green smoothie....sure....make him one while your making yours. He wants pancakes.....he's on his own.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Tell him to make his own pancakes and a green smoothie for you while he's at it.

THIS
  • iupchurch
    iupchurch Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same challenge and yet he is constantly saying how supportive he is. I don't bring candy, cookies, ice cream, or any snack foods into the house, but somehow they appear in the pantry. I love to workout, but sometimes I feel like I'm just wasting my time. I'm planning to go through threapy because I have started to allow this to really get me down. I know excuses are easily made, but solutions are mine to find and to stick with. I just wish he wouldn't ambush my efforts. He is also the cook in the household and he loves to try new dishes. :brokenheart:
  • andiecheyenne
    andiecheyenne Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm having that dilemma... only with other family, not the hubby (not married yet, and I don't live with him right now). :/ my parents and I have HBP, so we're trying to watch the salt and fried stuff... and it seems like that's all everyone (including me... oops) wants to eat. I'm about to start making mine and my daughter's meals separate if it's not healthy. It'll be a hassle.. it'll be more dishes... but I'm getting tired of it :/
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options

He is responsible for what he eats, and I am responsible for what I eat. Stop making excuses.

THIS, totally this! You and only you are responsible for what passes your lips! It's easier to blame someone else that to take responsibility for yourself.
    Kaye
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Do you want the keep the weight off for good?

This is one of the toughest, but it's the very first problem you'll have to deal with.

Yes, we do control our environment at home, but at some point, we're going to have go out and eat with relatives, coworkers, and lots of other people who don't really know or care if you are trying to lose weight. You might walk around a city block with lots of people eating lots of horrible stuff, and so on. You might walk into a bakery or grocery store. Will you fall apart then?

Might I suggest a bit of a perspective change? Consider this the very first "head game" you need to overcome. Consider your husband's own eating habits as a friendly opponent, sort of like a soccer scrimmage game, rather than someone trying to sabotage you. Because it's only going to get harder.

These are the mental habits that will decide if you have long-term success or not. Sometimes the folks here can be a bit blunt when pointing it out, but mostly because they've been there themselves and realize that this is what people usually need to hear.

Like some of the others, I lost the weight totally independent of how others eat, including those in my family. Yes, it stinks turning down that 1,500-calorie Blizzard that everyone else is having, but with a bit of a mental shift, I learned to allow myself that small 300-cal ice-cream dish, enjoy it, and fit it all in.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You are in charge of what you eat, and pushing that onto others is handy, but won't get you anywhere.

That being said...Pancakes aren't that bad, and if you add a scoop a vanilla protien to the batter they are even better. Another handy thing is that they freeze easily. Cook a batch, let them cool, place wax or parchment paper between each one, throw them into a ziploc bag and into the freezer (~2-4weeks). Then he can pop one in the microwave (20sec) or toaster and have his pancake while you go about your day, or you can sit down and join him for one.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My little rant. Take this morning for instance. I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast, but hubby wants buttermilk pancakes, so I'm cooking pancakes. I can't fix pancakes and not eat one, it's just too hard. I don't have that kind of will power, at least not yet. So oh well, all I know is I'll just have to try to eat good the rest of the day. I'll have my smoothie & hard boiled egg for lunch and fix chicken breast for dinner. Food is the toughest thing for me to deal with, especially when hubby is always eating bad stuff in front of me or having me fix it.

I know its harder but you have to want it more. Don't blame the rest of the world. You control you.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Why in the world are you fixing your husbands pancakes? Does he not know how to work the oven? If he wants a green smoothie....sure....make him one while your making yours. He wants pancakes.....he's on his own.

This. (and for the record, this is difficult for all of us, not just people whose spouses don't encourage their efforts)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    My husband eats all kinds of junk food, that's his choice, now because I'm a bit sarcastic as he eats it I start telling him all the ways I'm going to spend his life insurance money. It's become a joke with us. If I want to eat what he's having I eat it, and log it. But more often then not I am much happier grabbing something that I enjoy more. You have to take control of yourself there will always be temptation.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Same, but it's my dad and my brother for me. I want to please them, so I cook what they want. And yet when they eat this stuff, they stay thin and I have to really work at it.
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All of you people saying negative things like "take responsibility for your own intake" and "sounds like an excuse, just blame the husband" really need to get a life. I'm not even married, and sometimes it's hard for me not to cheat when my boyfriend always wants to. The forums aren't made for all this negativity--aren't they for SUPPORT?

I just wanted to say solidarity sister--good job on only having one pancake, and all you can do is keep making healthy decisions for you as much as possible and hope that the trickle down affects him or that he decides himself to follow suit.

BOO YOU HATERS. People are human! lol. :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can't fix pancakes and not eat one, it's just too hard. .... especially when hubby is always eating bad stuff in front of me or having me fix it.

First of all as what many others have said, you CAN eat a pancake - plan for it in your day
    Second - Well, he could fix it himself - and its not that hard - I know this because right now my meals consist of meat and veggies but I always make a side of carbs - potatoes, noodles etc for my family and I dont touch BUT if I wanted to I could easily accommodate for this

I have a motto in my house - eat it or starve - so they eat the healthy options I give them OR they make their own meal

My husband eats like **** and I choose not to eat that way
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there over time you will have a much stronger will power over time especially as you begin to see more results. I had and frankly still have the same issue with my husband but it balances out overtime, some days I just pass and continue with my plan.