It's extremely hard to eat healthy when your hubby doesn't.

Replies

• tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Hope Mills pancakes 150 per serving, get about 3 pancakes for 1/3 cup of dry mix, add water it expands of course, then top with Walden farms pancake syrup, no cals, no carbs, nothing, so just 150 cals for pancakes, their pancake syrup taste almost like sugar free syrup, you can go that way too, sugar free is about 1/4 cup 25 cals, so think outside the box
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    I know what you mean. My partner isn't a terrible eater, but just not as good as I'd like her to be. Sometimes the diet goes totally out of the window, which I don't mind, because it usually means we're having a good time together.

Try talking to him, I'm sure he'll understand. Tell him your diet/weight loss is really important to you and something you want to concentrate on for you, and if he cares about the things you care about, he'll understand. He'll have to cook for himself, or join you for a healthy dinner. Try meeting in the middle - see what he wants to eat and cook a healthier version of that food.

Good luck to you!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    I feel bad for some of the husbands after reading this thread. My husband works very hard to put food on our table and to give us a good life so damn right I will gladly fix him pancakes. I am responsible for what food goes in my mouth. If I want a pancake I have a pancake and i take full responsibility for it.

Stop blaming your husband for your lack of self control!
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Try to give him choices. If he doesn't like the choices I would put him out on his own. If it is a problem for you, you need to take care of you. Try to sit down with him and explain this to him. If he is on his own he may start coming back to you or find another alternative.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    I see how this would be difficult. I don't live with my bf yet, but when we eat out, it's not always easy to order the grilled lean protein while he has a burger and fries. But, I made a committment to myself that I would change my habits, and feeling confident and healthy is better than any 1000 calorie burger. You just need to remind yourself of why you're doing this. It does feel unfair sometimes that he can eat whatever he wants and I can't, but such is life.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    This may have already been said....but,

Talk to your husband about being more supportive. Even if he doesn't need to lose weight, there's nothing wrong with having a healthy meal instead of pancakes. Or, have him make his own pancakes. My willpower sucks and there is no way I'd be able to pass those up. I make pancakes for the kids sometimes and you can beleive a consume a couple (with some sugar free jelly...).

I'm super fortunate to have a very support fiance. We don't even keep bad food in the house, despite him liking it. He is not overweight in any way, but has committed himself to eating healthy with me, mainly for support. I cook often, but it's things that we both eat.

We both work equally hard to support our family, so I dont' feel any obligation to serve him whatever his heart desires. However, I of course surprise him with some special treats ocassionally :) he's not deprived.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    There are a ton of healthy homemade pancake recipes out there. If he wants things you think are bad, then start making better versions of them. I like to eat healthy but I know my husband likes indulgent meals too. There's no reason why you can't eat better versions of the same foods. He may even like them better.
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    For things like that have you tried just making the whole batch then freeze them in freezer bags in the amounts he eats. I do this with pancakes and waffles. That way when he wants those I have them already made and just pop in the microwave for pancakes or pop the waffles into the toaster. That way he still gets homemade ones and you can make them healthier. Use half the sugar (I tend to just use the 1-2 tbsp it calls for but in things that call for large amounts i half) and use whole wheat flour for at least half the flour.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    As someone else said... we really can't help you. What it comes down to is willpower. I understand it's hard. Trust me. My willpower comes in waves and I can't always so no. I'm not married so I'm not gonna pretend I completely undersand what you are feeling but this feels similar to my life at home where my family, although they eat MUCH better then they used to, still buys cakes, chocolates, chips sugary cereals etc. Would I rather not have it in the house? Of course. But, I have to have the willpower to say no. And what helps is if I have my own, seperate food in the house that I love and can eat insted of all the junk food. If you want to cook for your husband but you dont like his food choices, either:

1. Have it make it himself
    2. Get some willpower and say no to yourself when you are making them. You are only gonna have willpower if you try. It doesnt sound like your trying.
    3. Have a "bad" pancake and know that it's ok
    4. Make his pankcakes and also make your own breakfast

No matter what, the real issue here is that you need to learn how to tell yourself no, or learn how to eat in moderation. If you can't do those things, in the end you won't be successful in your weight loss journey. it sounds harsh but it's true.
  • Spoonf
    Spoonf Posts: 4 Member
    Fortunately, as long as he doesn't have to cook, my husband will eat what I make. I know you want to do things for your spouse, but right now, he needs to "get with the plan". If you make something for him, figure out a lower calorie version for you. In this case, just have one pancake, but put a little fresh fruit on it with a small amount of sugar free syrup. It will satisfy that desire, but will keep the calorie count lower for you. If the temptation is too strong, just do as another person suggested....let him get the pancakes at a diner or restaurant. Right now, until you feel "stronger", you need to concentrate on what you're doing for yourself. No one else will do this for you. I've been doing this for seven weeks and I am so pleased with how this works for me. I just want everyone that tries this method of weight loss to feel the same way. Keep up the good work, take care of yourself....I wish you the very best.
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member

I feel for you though, my super skinny husband eats cookies every night after dinner. I don't want to cut him off from cookies since he can afford the calories so we comprimise - he's only allowed to buy cookies that that I don't like and therefore aren't tempted to eat!

I do the same thing to my husband, I love chips and he wants to buy chips he has to buy Doritos, it's the only kind I don't like lol
    My husband would not respond well if I told him what he is and isn't allowed to do. I'm not his mom or boss. And I'd hate for him to tell me what I am allowed to do.

He does it because he loves me. If he can have his chips and not tempt me a the same time, that's what he will do.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    I stopped buying unhealthy foods for the most part it's been a gradual process.I just fade things out...so he eats whatever I cook. I did not cut out everything but mostly switched to whole grains and wheat instead. Instead of white rice I cook brown rice and the only thing that gets fried is plantain.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    All of you people saying negative things like "take responsibility for your own intake" and "sounds like an excuse, just blame the husband" really need to get a life. I'm not even married, and sometimes it's hard for me not to cheat when my boyfriend always wants to. The forums aren't made for all this negativity--aren't they for SUPPORT?

I just wanted to say solidarity sister--good job on only having one pancake, and all you can do is keep making healthy decisions for you as much as possible and hope that the trickle down affects him or that he decides himself to follow suit.

BOO YOU HATERS. People are human! lol. :)

Thank you. These types of comments are extremely discouraging. I don't know who people think they're helping with this crap.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm not his mom or boss. And I'd hate for him to tell me what I am allowed to do.

And that's why I don't cook his meals.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I feel bad for some of the husbands after reading this thread. My husband works very hard to put food on our table and to give us a good life so damn right I will gladly fix him pancakes. I am responsible for what food goes in my mouth. If I want a pancake I have a pancake and i take full responsibility for it.

The part about you being responsible about what goes in your husbands mouth is a bit of a stretch but other than that I agree with you. So many people are quick to be 'That son of a b***h making you cook breakfast' when I saw it more of a sweet gesture that she made breakfast and they both sat down to eat it together.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member

That's all ok if you have agreed that role while your husband works. I think a lot of the posters work just as hard as their spouses outside of the home so it's not their job to take all the responsibility for cooking as well. I think quite rightly a few people are questioning a husband's right to demand the wife does the cooking.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    i dont think some of u understand that when youre just starting out trying to lose weight and eat right it is not easy. if i cook pancakes for my man, im an addict so i must have pancakes as well. until i slowly find my way to eating healthy then its too hard to not have one. when youre an addict u must have that drug. so dont say shes blaming the husband. its an addiction and we're supposed to be here to help her not put her down. some of u are so damn rude!

I'd say if one is at the point where they realize they'll have no control over temptation due to addiction, they should stay away from the 'fix' for a while. Which would mean don't make the pancakes, maybe even go so far as to suggest he eat them out of the house (restaurant).
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    I have had some challenges with my wife with my weight loss. She eats lots of cookies and keeps snacks and candy around the house and it's hard to resist but I just have to deal with it. I gained about 150 pounds the first year of our marriage. I take personal responsibility for that but after 10 years of marriage and being over 400 pounds, I finally decided to make a change. My decision to lose weight have caused some challenges in my marriage. She gets mad at me sometimes when I want to exercise. Lately, I have been getting up at around 4:30 am to exercise in the mornings. My wife also wants to eat out to dinner 3-4 times a week and I would prefer maybe once a week. Going out to restaurants is hard because it costs more money and the food is generally more unhealthy. A few times, my wife would go out with our boys for dinner for pizza and I stay at home and make something healthy. Lately, I have tried to use more portion control but I find eating at restaurants harder. It seems like all of my hard work exercising is lost at times. My wife is a stay at home mom and I make good money. On the plus side, she has bought fruits and vegetables when I ask since she does most of the shopping. I am also a little concerned about my son who is also somewhat overweight.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    I know how that is! My husband grew up on "southern comfort food" ie: fried potatoes corn bread beans fried chicken etc. and up until 2 months ago that's what I ate too and we have 4 kids who are very picky to say the least. Well, when I started this new, healthy lifestyle I still cook them their meals and make myself a healthier version OR a salad with tons of veggies and a lean meat on top (grilled/baked fish, chicken, shrimp or turkey ham ) and that's been working really well. I do have bad days everyone does, but I always try to leave a little wiggle room on my calories, so if I cook something supper yummy for them I can taste it with feeling guilty, then have my, supper yummy as well, healthier meal :) Its all about how bad you want it (weight loss) its 70% diet and 30% exercise.
    You have to get to the point where you say fitting into those size 6 jeans is going to be so much sweeter than any pancake or cupcake or anything in between :)
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    All of you people saying negative things like "take responsibility for your own intake" and "sounds like an excuse, just blame the husband" really need to get a life. I'm not even married, and sometimes it's hard for me not to cheat when my boyfriend always wants to. The forums aren't made for all this negativity--aren't they for SUPPORT?

I just wanted to say solidarity sister--good job on only having one pancake, and all you can do is keep making healthy decisions for you as much as possible and hope that the trickle down affects him or that he decides himself to follow suit.

BOO YOU HATERS. People are human! lol. :)

Thank you. These types of comments are extremely discouraging. I don't know who people think they're helping with this crap.

Why is it that when people try to tell the truth, they are called haters? How is it that we are not supporting her? She asked a question and she is getting honest answers. Some choose not to sugar coat it. Many people who lose weight end up gaining it back. It's a fact. In order to be successful she has to learn to get get some willpower instead of telling herself she can't do it. That is hurting no one but herself. Multiple people here have said to have a pancake and just work it into her day or just tell herself no. She DOES have to take responsibility for what she eats. If hearing that is discouraging she is going to have a ROUGH time trying to lose weight.