boss is behaving unethically.

Options
1235»

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .

WHOA.

And WHOA.

And also... yeah! That guy who helped the lady next door screaming saved four people from captivity...so I kinda agree even tho this was an incredibly heavy comparison.

Of all the comments I posted today, this is the last one I thought I would be defending. My comment is posted under a work related topic, not the Holocaust.

tumblr_inline_mi5bdtrIuw1qz4rgp.gif

Um. Thanks for the condescending gif. I agree that it was an unreasonable comparison.... but at the same time, I appreciate a healthy discussion about not being a bystander when something messed up is going down.

Granted, you don't know me.

But I spent a large part of yesterday reading and discussing this stuff after those women were rescued by their neighbor:

http://www.uwlax.edu/faculty/cerbin/ls/PSY Research Lesson Model of Bystander Intervention.htm

so, can I get some of this:

oh-alright-by-roy-lichtenstein.gif
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I understand how stuff like this can eat away at you to the point where you can't function normally. I would suggest you spend some time thinking this through and maybe even mapping out your scenarios on paper. Do you have access to an EAP or mental health providers through your company? If so, I would call the EAP to see if they can set you up with a counselor or therapist for a few sessions so you can talk through this. I've used my company's EAP several times over the years when I was going through difficult life scenarios and found the guidance of counselors to be especially helpful.

I left my first job because I had an unethical manager. His actions weren't necessarily things that could impact lives, but it was stuff that completely went against my moral code. I gave him plenty of feedback to let him know how I felt and gave him the opportunity to change, but he failed me every time and I realized that I was also pretty much disillusioned with the company in general.

Regardless of how you proceed, let me suggest:

1) Document everything, but be mindful of how you do this depending on your company's computer usage rules. You don't want to create your own unethical situation where that is concerned!

2) If you do decide to report, don't expect immediate or decisive action. Waiting for the response can often be the most maddening part of the process. Also, be mindful that you may have to bark up more than one tree to even get a response.

3) Whether or not you decide to stay with the company depends on a lot of factors, one of the biggest being the impact to your working relationship with others in the organization, should you report your boss. Also, the size of the company and the position your boss holds in the company.

Good luck!!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the behavior you're referring to. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me.

and with that attitude, that's how 6 million Jews died during the Holocaust. . . .

WHOA.

And WHOA.

And also... yeah! That guy who helped the lady next door screaming saved four people from captivity...so I kinda agree even tho this was an incredibly heavy comparison.

Of all the comments I posted today, this is the last one I thought I would be defending. My comment is posted under a work related topic, not the Holocaust.

Um. Thanks for the condescending gif. I agree that it was an unreasonable comparison.... but at the same time, I appreciate a healthy discussion about not being a bystander when something messed up is going down.

But I spent a large part of yesterday reading and discussing this stuff after those women were rescued by their neighbor:

http://www.uwlax.edu/faculty/cerbin/ls/PSY Research Lesson Model of Bystander Intervention.htm

My gif was (clearly) for the person claiming my behavior is the reason for the Holocaust.

tumblr_me34lqKhQF1ra2t82.gif
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

WHOA.

And WHOA.

My gif was (clearly) for the person claiming my behavior is the reason for the Holocaust.

tumblr_me34lqKhQF1ra2t82.gif

LOL ok. I thought you already handed it to him.

My apologies.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would be looking for another job, but I would stay until I found said job. Because I have bills to pay and can't afford to just up and quit.

If I thought I could possibly be tied into something illegal I'd quit this second. I'm a financial advisor. Anything like that shows up on your record and you can kiss your career goodbye.
  • Isagenixbody
    Isagenixbody Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would advise to look for another job. I spent years trying to make a stressful job better. It never got better - only worse. When I finally left (because it was unbearable) - I realized how much of my time and energy it sucked out of me! Don't let anything or anybody steal your energy!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't bend my ethics for anyone.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have seen a trainee teacher headbut a child in Japan and I shouted at him and told senior teachers, but knew nothing would be done about it. I saw a teacher in the UK try to forcibly open a disabled child's eyes, and after I reported it it never happened in front of me again, but who knows if she continued.

If others safety were involved I would automatically report it, but some rules end up being broken because otherwise you would put your own business at a disadvantage. In teaching in the UK, thanks to the systems in place, and as most teachers have worked in a number of schools so know how other schools behave, while examining boards tell teachers how to bend their own rules, true 'ethics' would be truly unfair. This is why I would support a return to 100% exam-based assessment.

So, to be totally ethical I would have to change industry, not just workplace.

While there is a black and white to these issues, reality (and age, I must admit) blurs them to grey.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

tumblr_ma9a02JYuB1qaesd9.gif

Wow you people are all kinds of crazy.

Someone's sense of humor isn't on today, clearly!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer, I couldn't stay if my boss were behaving unethically. Ultimately, that would likely come down on my license as well.

Without knowing more specifics though it's hard for people to tell you. Usually if your gut tells you something is off it probably is.
    Lawyers are the biggest crooks out there. The profession itself should be unethical. :wink:

Since I'm practically unethical, I would gather as much evidence as possible and blackmail the crap out of him. :)

Doubt you'd say that were I representing your child or your mother or father. But to each his own :)

It's been my experience that those that are the loudest about others' unethical behavior are often the ones that need to spend the most time reflecting on their own behavior.

So keeping quiet about (highly probable) illegal activities-- which could get you or other co-workers fired, or worse-- reflects 'good' behavior, as opposed to being a snitch and revealing your alleged issues of character which is 'bad'...? How does that logic work, exactly? I'm a bit confused here.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If it's something minor, you should confront your boss directly. If it's something serious, I'd just snitch. I'm not afraid of losing my job because someone else is an idiot.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How exactly does this affect your fitness?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What is your company policy regarding the behavior? Look there first. If it is a definite violation of company policy, then consult your companies legal division. There are most likely methods for you to report policy violations without revealing your identity, if the company is of any size.

If it's a real small company, or a mom/pop place, then your only real recourse is to start job hunting now.

Unless it is something really bad, I wouldn't quit without first having another job...you may find it ain't so easy to get into another position somewhere.

If it is something that is against the law, consult an attorney right now, there are instances in which you MUST report certain behavior to an authority.