Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You ladies are right, you can definitely lose weight while drinking diet soda. Doing meth and having cancer can make you lose weight as well. Please, go ahead and ignore all the evidence of the carcinogenic and crazy neurological effects of diet soda and guzzle away. Coca Cola and Pepsi love you guys for it. Cheers! Chemotherapy and diabetes sheds those pounds as well!

<3
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a day. I haven't exploded yet, nor has it hindered my weight loss in any way.

You're 29 yo. Wait until you're 60 and have developed some complications due to it and then, you might regret drinking your beloved diet soda.

what complications? I would like to hear what complications you have came up with?
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Damn, and here I was feeling all proud of myself for giving up diet pepsi. I'm still glad I did because I drink a lot more water now. While it may not be "bad" for you, I don't think there's anything in it that's "good" for you either.

My 92 year old father was diagnosed with diabetes 60 years ago and drank diet soda every day. Back then it was sweetened with saccharine. He's not much of diet soda drinker anymore. He much prefers a good Cabernet Sauvignon now.
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    While I don't like the taste of diet soda. Horrible aftertaste, I have had some diet flavored water. What I've found is that for me it makes me thirstier then before drinking it. As a result, I stick to drinks with sugar versus sweeteners.

I have cut down my drinking of soda. Tend to only have it at the movie theatre.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unless someone can provide actual independent surveys completed at a top education center (not articles if flipping ehow and livestrong) then do as you please. There has not been, to my knowledge, any research completed proving obesity or diabetes from diet soda. My dentist claimed this and I asked him to please provide proof by my next appt and he rolled his eyes and told me diet soda is as lethal as meth. Just know people believe what they want and stand behind this but I prefer cold, hard facts.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Unless someone can provide actual independent surveys completed at a top education center (not articles if flipping ehow and livestrong) then do as you please. There has not been, to my knowledge, any research completed proving obesity or diabetes from diet soda. My dentist claimed this and I asked him to please provide proof by my next appt and he rolled his eyes and told me diet soda is as lethal as meth. Just know people believe what they want and stand behind this but I prefer cold, hard facts.
    If i ever met that dentists I would ask him about how a nonstimulant and that doesnt alter your normal brain function would relate to something that is a heavy stimulant, causes hypertension, excessiveley releases dopamine and seratonin.
    Fcking moron I would never go back to that person. Any medical professional should be able to back up statements like that with studies or they should shut the **** up.

Ignorant people are bad enough but I cannot stand it when medical professionals are a part of them. Considering I will be graduating with my bachelors in december and becoming an RN soon after I hate hearing this kind of stuff but its the truth with people.

"I have a medical degree, therefore I know better"
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You don't gotta stop it. Just moderate it.
    So long as you are completely cutting out the empty sugar and cals from regular soda, a diet one here and there wont hurt nothing.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You have to go cold turkey. Find an alternative. I use iced tea and lots of ice water.
  • gingersnaps828
    Options

Exactly. It seems every 5 or 10 years we hear something is "bad" for us. Then we find out 5 or 10 years later there are actual health benefits from it, or they were wrong.

My dad also had diabetes, drank diet pepsi before and throughout his life before he passed and he swore he was the oldest living diabetic. (and he smoked more than 80% of his lfe).

Some of you mention neurological problems from diet soda? I actually have a seizure disorder, and see a neurologist who not only gave me the green light on drinking diet soda but disagrees with this whole "diet soda is bad" debate.
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    I have practically read everything out there on diet soda. Its not the best thing for you, because of the artificial sweetener. My trainer would prefer I drink regular Coke over diet coke, BUT diet coke is my only vice and I am not giving it up....completely. I don't drink it everyday, but I limit myself to one...that day; when I do indulge. The rest of the time I drink water and I am steadily getting closer to taking in almost 1 gallon of water each day. I have found that when I drink all the water I am supposed to I don't really want the diet coke.

When I want bubbles I do sometimes drink sparkling water without sweetener and add just enough cranberry juice cocktail to make it pink and to sweeten it up a little. Then I add a wedge of lime and its very refreshing and...bubbly!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    My dad is just like that. I tell him im on a diet and hes like "DIET soda" its good for you.
    But its not soda is bad for you not because of the calories, its because what soda is made up of. You can have a soda once in a while sure, but listen to me when I tell you. Soda is bad not good. Heres my rule on food
    "If the food wasn't there back in the olden days, its probably not healthy." There are some exceptions to that rule but mostly not many. And soda is not one of them.
    You're probably screwed then because there's practically nothing out there in the stores that haven't had agricultural intervention of some sort.
    Apparently 1835 was when the first soda was bottled and sold, so you willing to eat akin to that?

Good thing your rule isn't many others' rule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Drink your diet pop, ignore the naysayers. Just don't smoke crack or anything like that and you should be fine.

Diet soda is worst than crack.
    Lol, yep people are stealing from their own families and friends and going through rehab because of diet soda addiction.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Drink your diet soda! Whats worse, diet soda or being unhealthy and overweight???? I think it is the lessor of two evils!

Um, let me think... Drinking diet soda AND being unhealthy!
    Sad to think that because someone eats better, automatically they think they are healthier. Unfortunately, there are lots of people out there who have better eating/drinking habits than others, yet they are overweight and suffering from disease due to genetics.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I drink about 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a day. I haven't exploded yet, nor has it hindered my weight loss in any way.

You're 29 yo. Wait until you're 60 and have developed some complications due to it and then, you might regret drinking your beloved diet soda.
    Damn you mean I only have 10 years left after drinking it for 25 years? My doctor must be scamming me because according to pseudoscience, I should be suffering right now.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • gingersnaps828
    Options

Damn you mean I only have 10 years left after drinking it for 25 years? My doctor must be scamming me because according to pseudoscience, I should be suffering right now.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Exaclty. And I'm wondering how many 60 yr olds (or people younger or older) are in the hospital or being treated for something because of their "diet soda" consumption. and that the test results can directly pinpoint their diagnosis' on diet soda alone and nothing else they are putting in their bodies, genetics, or environmental factors. Or just plain bad luck.
  • 22workout
    22workout Posts: 36
    Options
    My dad is just like that. I tell him im on a diet and hes like "DIET soda" its good for you.
    But its not soda is bad for you not because of the calories, its because what soda is made up of. You can have a soda once in a while sure, but listen to me when I tell you. Soda is bad not good. Heres my rule on food
    "If the food wasn't there back in the olden days, its probably not healthy." There are some exceptions to that rule but mostly not many. And soda is not one of them.
    You're probably screwed then because there's practically nothing out there in the stores that haven't had agricultural intervention of some sort.
    Apparently 1835 was when the first soda was bottled and sold, so you willing to eat akin to that?

Good thing your rule isn't many others' rule.

IDEA Fitness member

I dont mean everything that wasn't there back then. Example. Pizza, not a natural food. I dont eat it. Chips and ice cream,obviously not natural. The point I was trying to make is, If it doesn't grow from the ground or is not organic I dont eat it. And its not purely for weight loss reasons its for skin and health and when I get older I dont wanna go around drinking diet soda and pizza. I want to train myself now that its not good for me.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Lowers Ph Balance

According to the Bodybuilding website, every diet soda you drink lowers your pH balance by one point. You need to maintain an alkalinity, which will keep your body from developing a chronic, life-altering or life-ending condition. The website states that diet pop has a pH balance of 1.5 to 2.5. That is well below the pH balance of seven, which your body requires to remain healthy. The healthiest drink by far, then, is water.

This is not possible. Are we talking blood pH or the pH of your stomach acid because a 1 point difference in your blood will kill you (which is 7.4 btw, a difference of more than .2 can kill you.)
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Anyone can post stuff they read on the internet that blah blah is bad for you and blah blah can lead to disease and cancer....

From a personal standpoint I've always drank Diet Coke/Diet Dr. Pepper and have lost the weight just fine. There are plenty of other things that you can avoid but Diet Cokes for me is my sweet spot. I wouldn't recommend drinking them all day everyday though, make sure you get plenty of water in your diet too.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with diet soda. To see negative effects off it (diet soda) one would have to consume in excess of 20 + cans in one day! Again, there is nothing wrong with drinking diet soda - the end!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I dont mean everything that wasn't there back then. Example. Pizza, not a natural food. I dont eat it. Chips and ice cream,obviously not natural. The point I was trying to make is, If it doesn't grow from the ground or is not organic I dont eat it. And its not purely for weight loss reasons its for skin and health and when I get older I dont wanna go around drinking diet soda and pizza. I want to train myself now that its not good for me.
    So your bias is to anything not grown from the ground or organic including any meat products?

IDEA Fitness member