Can't stop the Diet Soda!

Options
12346»

Replies

• galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the new TEN sodas. I have tried Dr. Pepper Ten, Sunkist Ten, and A&W Ten. I like the Sunkist.
    Ten simply means there are only ten calories per can of soda.

Welcome!

Honestly, I found them disgusting in flavor.

Of course, this was also before my family and I started our Dr. Pepper/Snapple Boycott last January due to their action with destroying Dublin Dr. Pepper. I haven't had a Dr. Pepper/Snapple product since.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I dont mean everything that wasn't there back then. Example. Pizza, not a natural food. I dont eat it. Chips and ice cream,obviously not natural. The point I was trying to make is, If it doesn't grow from the ground or is not organic I dont eat it. And its not purely for weight loss reasons its for skin and health and when I get older I dont wanna go around drinking diet soda and pizza. I want to train myself now that its not good for me.
    So your bias is to anything not grown from the ground or organic including any meat products?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Out of the dirt and into her belly or bust.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's not that you CAN'T.. you WON'T... it's your prerogative.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Today is day one of my effort to cut out diet soda. It's a habit I've had literally since I was a baby (my mom has pictures of me with a bottle, filled with diluted soda-seriously mom?!!).

Soda is my only caffeine source, so that's the hard part-breaking the caffeine addiction. I also adore the fizz, so that's another part that's going to be hard to get away from.

I bought some diet Sprite and also LaCroix sparkling peach-pear flavored water, to help me transition. Oh my gosh-the LaCroix stuff is awful lol. I thought it would be sweet but nope-it's like carbonated water with a hint of peach flavoring. But, it's caffeine free and it's fizzy so it will help get me over the hump.. Goal is to be soda free and mostly on water only, by the end of the week. Caffeine withdrawal-here I come!

eta: I'm doing it because I'm tired of being dependent on the caffeine. Its got to go!
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i say you dont have to give up your diet soda.. i say you can still lose weight. i'd say there is most likely a ton of benefits of giving it up but you can do anything with or without it. stay in your calories and you should be good. i'd recommend not drinking more of it then you normally did.. maybe slacking up once in a while just to try it out..

i feel like thats a huge addiction. i think you should focus on weightloss and health as a whole and then maybe go into breaking down the diet soda habit. its hard to have 99 million battles going on at once. best of luck with your journey whatever it may be.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is worst for you than regular soda. You really should do some research on it and maybe that will help kick your habit!!!

No it's not.

How is it not worse? Admittedly, I don't drink either diet or regular, and I know they are both terrible for you, but people who drink diet soda tend to get fatter and the chemicals in it actually make you crave sugar and carbs. As for fat loss, obviously it's calories in/calories out, but I think most commenters who are intimating that cutting down on it are being genuine and have read up on the issue. Something about soda that always bugged me is that it seems people really have a hard time quitting it. I suppose "comfort foods" were a tough one for me, but I didn't get nauseous or get headaches.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet and zeros when I started MFP... I will have the occasional 8 0z of regular if the day allots for it. But I'm trying again to give it up (I went 30 days when I first started). The reason? Not because of all the naysayers but because I've noticed that when I drink it, I want more sweets. It's probably chemical, I don't know, but I'm trying to get my motivation and diligence back so I'm hoping this will help.

If you don't have this problem (drinking soda and wanting sweets or other things) by all means, drink and eat what you want.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Drink your diet pop, ignore the naysayers. Just don't smoke crack or anything like that and you should be fine.

While I disagree that diet pop is not terrible for you, I agree that you should do what you want and enjoy what you enjoy. My personal (and respectful) opinion is that I would rather have naturally occurring sugar than refined, and rather have refined than a substitute, such as aspartame. Obviously, an effort to get healthier shouldn't be mocked or derailed because you choose to have what you like.
  • snowfallgently
    Options
    As a dental hygienist I can give you a lot of reasons on why to give up the diet soda from a dental health standpoint and physical health....if you are interested. Good luck and congratulation on the weight loss....Good job!!! Sounds like you have already made lots of positive changes. I am trying!!!!