Outraged!

Options

Replies

• kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is the dumbest thing they could possibly do. First of all, way to insult almost every adult who now will never shop at your store, or let their kids. Second of all, I remember when Tommy Hilfiger made a remark about only wanting certain people to wear his clothes, and it almost killed his clothing line (what a jerk). Let's all just hope they go out of business. Their clothes suck anyways.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can't shop at Lane Bryant. The nerve!
  • danimarshall410
    Options
    How outraged are you at plus sized shops that do not offer sizes below a 12?

I was thinking this! Some stores cater for smaller sizes some for bigger. The bigger stores talk about cutting for 'real women with real curves' which I think is offensive to say a thin woman isn't a real woman. And Abercrombie and Fitch clearly cut for thin people, although I would ask the A&B CEO how he has lumped together thin-ness with attractiveness (so often not the case.

Point is, whether you're big, small, petite or tall there's always going to be a shop that doesn't cater for your size.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old read this and told me that she won't shop there ever again. She told me "If mom can't shop with me then i don't want to shop there"

Kids never cease to amaze me

Your kid rocks. I know I'll never be buying anything from them either.
    My 14 y/o daughter had a similar reaction--not because I couldn't shop there, but you get the idea. I'm sure there are lots of teeny-bopper shops out there that use these marketing tactics. We were just surprised that one actually came out and said it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Didn't he say this in 2006? Why is all this outrage bubbling up now?

Besides, I would save my outrage for some of the other things this company has done, such as that "Two Wongs will make it white" t-shirt.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Even superficial people need a place to shop.

LOL!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Nicely done.
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Just think how many stores market to plus sizes, and over size 12. Not a lot - meanwhile, nearly every store carries from 0-12. Just sayin'.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    dont shop there, problem solved!
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

it's a private marketplace, he can sell and market to whoever he wants.

Are you mad that The Children's Place only sells childrens clothes?

What about the Foundry that caters to the big and tall man? Should regular joes's be ticked they can't shop there?

The list of designers and brands that refuse to cater or even include sizes over 12 is staggering.

What gets me is he point blank says he won't HIRE anyone overweight or not-attractive. He wouldn't even be able to work there. their sizes run 2 sizes smaller than they actually are and are DEF geared towards 13 to 18 year old twigs....let them have at it...such a waste of money.

I'm just glad the parent company who owns them, also owns A & E and Hollister and doesn't have idiots heading those up.

No publicity is bad publicity tho, so this right here just adds to the hype unfortunately.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options

There are far less stores that are only targeted to plus sizes than there are stores that target non-plus sizes.

Even American Eagel that yes, has plus sizes, like size 18 jeans, but they are not carried in the store, and only online. Never the other way around.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have never purchased anything from them, ever, if that helps.
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I never shopped their stores anyway - way overpriced stuff that is made in China or another 3rd world country.
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Many stores don't sell plus sizes. That's just how it is. Yes, he sounds like an *kitten* hat, but many many people do. Just saying.
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you're over 25 you shouldn't be wearing A&F or Holister clothing anyway.

^^^^THIS
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Here's my beef with this whole thing.

First, let me start by saying that this guy can do whatever he wants with his stores...just like everyone has the right to do whatever they want with the money. Capitalism!

So, that being said, he will never get any of my money. Now, I'm 32 years old. Even if I did fit into those clothes, I wouldn't want to shop there. I don't care if he carries my size, and I don't care if he thinks I'm not worthy of his clothes because I'm fat. I'm a grown up and I'm emotionally mature enough to not give a rat's behind about what some dude who looks like Gary Busey went bobbing for apples in a tub of bees (not mine but it slayed me when I saw it) thinks about my body.

HOWEVER, this store isn't marketing to me anyway. It's marketing to CHILDREN. Children who are impressionable, developing, trying desperately to fit in, emotionally immature, and already far too prone to eating disorders, depression, bullying and suicide. I am positively disgusted that a grown man is so entrenched in this "business philosophy" that he finds it perfectly acceptable to publicly state that a large portion of CHILDREN are not worthy to wear his clothing. They are not good enough, simply because of the way they look.

So, when my son and daughter are old enough to care where their clothes come from, they will not be wearing anything from Abercrombie and Fitch, at least not purchased with MY money. It's part of my personal parenting mission to teach my children that, while health is important, they AND their peers are so very much more than their physical characteristics. It breaks my heart to think of any children feeling excluded because some douche canoe says that they are not "cool and good-looking" enough to wear the clothing that his company sells. I wouldn't want my kids to feel badly because of their looks, and if they DID fit that "cool and good-looking" mold, I would not be supportive of them perpetuating that attitude and image that they are somehow better than anyone else simply because of their looks.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    and this different how? Marketing is marketing-people want to see attractive people-get over it

Hi SassyCalyGirl,

First, let me compliment you on your profile picture featuring a woman on a toilet with her panties down; I'm trying to say, to start out by saying: "hey, don't get me wrong, I like you."

Second, among other things, the guy said this: "In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

It's one thing to "market to cool kids." It's another to say that unpopular or unattractive kids do not belong in our clothes; that some people deserve to be excluded - because they're socially awkward? Because they haven't grown into their features? Because they have bad skin because their hormones are going ape? Because their parents are poor? Etc.

He's not marketing to attractive people, he's marketing to cliquish people. He's attempting to create mystique and demand for his clothing by appealing to just about the worst in teenagers. He's condoning it, fomenting it, and trying to shroud it in a sort of hip mystique, when really he's only attempting to manipulate children.

And so I conclude this reply with reference to my opening statement, "and I think that's the only thing I like about you."
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I intend to start replacing some of my clothing over the next few months (as my pants in particular which used to be tight but are becoming quite baggy) but even after I've lost my weight I want to get rid of and become one of the 'beautiful thin' people, I wouldn't walk in the doors of such an establishment which is so unfriendly to people that don't fit their profile.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    and this different how? Marketing is marketing-people want to see attractive people-get over it

Hi SassyCalyGirl,

First, let me compliment you on your profile picture featuring a woman on a toilet with her panties down; I'm trying to say, to start out by saying: "hey, don't get me wrong, I like you."

Second, among other things, the guy said this: "In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

It's one thing to "market to cool kids." It's another to say that unpopular or unattractive kids do not belong in our clothes; that some people deserve to be excluded - because they're socially awkward? Because they haven't grown into their features? Because they have bad skin because their hormones are going ape? Because their parents are poor? Etc.

He's not marketing to attractive people, he's marketing to cliquish people. He's attempting to create mystique and demand for his clothing by appealing to just about the worst in teenagers. He's condoning it, fomenting it, and trying to shroud it in a sort of hip mystique, when really he's only attempting to manipulate children.

And so I conclude this reply with reference to my opening statement, "and I think that's the only thing I like about you."

I never said it was RIGHT it just IS! I don't concern myself with things I can't change. I do however have a choice-I can either support their views and shop there or Not.

in regards to "liking" me-I'm crushed! NOT
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    <=========A&F shirt : damn I guess I cant shop there anymore. I am too fat.

it only applies to their women's clothes.

Sexism in action! FTW!