Outraged!

Options
Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I read about this too. The nerve of this guy. Thing is, he looks pretty horrid himself.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Even superficial people need a place to shop.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    who cares? its a private company, they can make their own decisions. this didnt affect you before today, why are you letting it affect you now?

I agree. If they choose to ignore a good portion of the population then so be it. They obviously do pretty well if they're still in business yet I don't see people wearing their clothing.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's not a new concept, many companies do this to project a certain image of their brand. It makes sense and it's been called a brilliant marketing move. Whether or not it's "nice" or ethical is another story, and up to the consumer to decide.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    it's pretty easy to just not buy their clothes. I cant stand them and wont under any circumstance buy their clothes. My teenage daughter had issues with my stance at first but now is on board with me.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ummmm... So don't shop there?

Can't say I've ever been in their stores or contemplated buying anything from them anyway.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old read this and told me that she won't shop there ever again. She told me "If mom can't shop with me then i don't want to shop there"

Kids never cease to amaze me
  • michellechawner
    Options
    who cares? its a private company, they can make their own decisions. this didnt affect you before today, why are you letting it affect you now?

I agree. If they choose to ignore a good portion of the population then so be it. They obviously do pretty well if they're still in business yet I don't see people wearing their clothing.

I second this - who gives a crap? Certainly not I. Unless you work there and are being fired for not being the right size, this shouldn't effect you. Everyone is going to do something you don't like. If you complain about it, life passes you by. Private company means they can do whatever they want.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    <=========A&F shirt : damn I guess I cant shop there anymore. I am too fat.
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nothing surprising from the guy that said, "Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”
  • EleneSaM
    EleneSaM Posts: 45
    Options
    Even superficial people need a place to shop.

Oh, yes, all of us size ten or smaller are really superficial!

I wouldn't mind shopping at their stores. Not because of the way the staff looks, but because they probably carry my size.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    How outraged are you at plus sized shops that do not offer sizes below a 12?
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Exclusivity just is a marketing tactic... even if it's done tastelessly.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    That's it. I'm boycotting Lane Bryant because they don't offer my size.. So outrageous!!!!
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Seems ok to me. I'd never shop there just because I don't like the style they tend to carry. Nothing to do with their marketing.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

it's a private marketplace, he can sell and market to whoever he wants.

Are you mad that The Children's Place only sells childrens clothes?

What about the Foundry that caters to the big and tall man? Should regular joes's be ticked they can't shop there?

The list of designers and brands that refuse to cater or even include sizes over 12 is staggering.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    I shop at thrift stores Goodwill industries and ESPECIALLY Salvation Army stores -- where I go, they do ALL clothing designer included... only $1 jeans, jackets, coats anything and everything. - old clothing materials is usually better than new clothing materials -- as an added bonus, as I lose weight, I donate back and buy more. Thrift Shop song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Seems ok to me. I'd never shop there just because I don't like the style they tend to carry. Nothing to do with their marketing.

This. A&F is overpriced and their clothes don't have any appeal to me. I'm not into the preppy look and never have been.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Average American woman is 5'4, 144# and wears a size 14. The supermodels that they want are 5'10 and 117# which is severely underweight/malnurished/GROSS......

Bones are for dogs, just don't shop there, or buy anything from them for anyone else.

He is a pig and screw the company. The clothes are outrageously prices anyhow!
    You're just as bad for shaming people who are tall and thin. I agree the prices are horrible though. My husband is 6'3" 135-141lbs (depending on cloths) and my daughter is projected to be 6'4" and she's just as thin as he was at her age. She's not malnourished, it's just her genetics. (my husband eats 3-6k calories a day and my daughter at 5 y.o. has been known to put anywhere from 1.4k-2.5k a day away, they just don't gain)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You know, Lane Bryant really only hires plus-sized women to sell their clothes, and don't sell clothing smaller than a size 14. Is that an outrage? They don't really want to sell things to smaller sized people, and only market to larger people.

Same thing if you ask me. Now, is the CEO guy kind of a pretentious *kitten* with his words? Sure, but he's not doing anything different than most other stores.