Outraged!

Options

Replies

• Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Doesn't affect me at all. I don't like their clothing and I think it is beyond ridiculous to spend that much on clothing anyway. /shrug
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

That was when I first noticed there was a problem with my weight...when all the girls at school could wear abercrombie and fitch and I could not because my thighs were to big. Its like a little jab with a knife each time you walk into a store and realize they dont have your size

Don't cry have a cookie ifiym.. :flowerforyou:
    750427048_Cookie_Monster_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Not the first thread about this.

Your outrage is exactly what he wants - he doesn't want your custom nor you in his store if you're the sort to be outraged by this.
    I just don't understand who he is to judge what is or isn't beautiful.
    He is a manager/owner/whatever in a big company. That lets him decide for his company. It doesn't effect other people not involved with that company unless they want it to.

Oh, and when I first saw the name I thought it was a legal firm in some film involving Hugh Grant!
    (Am a Brit, dunno if we have them here, but I stay off the high-street anyway, because it's generally populated by the type of people that shop at stores such as this - see, I'm just as judgemental ;)).

It doesn't effect me, never wore the clothes from there even when I was in great shape nor will I when I am in great shape again. I just think he is pretty rude, and uhm... maybe a tad full of himself? I mean really... at the end of the day who is he really? A man, with a paycheck, who thinks fat people are ugly... I don't care if he is *insert super hunk here* he is still ugly on the inside and pretty darned rude. As adults we can shrug it off, but I am pretty sure kids out there who struggle already to "fit in" to what is deemed beautiful by society are going to be effected by this kind of thing. Sometimes people in positions where their words are going to be heard throughout the media need to be more responsible.

To quote a true super hunk "With great power comes great responsibility"

Yes yes It is from Spiderman :P

But seriously, when I read this article today I was like.. wtf, yeah and who are you again in the scheme of things? Ah, yeah, a nobody. I just hope the kids who it will hit the hardest will be able to see him for what he really is too.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Most stores or lines have a size cutoff somewhere. I remember in the UK it was often 14 (then that was about a US 8).
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

it's a private marketplace, he can sell and market to whoever he wants.

Are you mad that The Children's Place only sells childrens clothes?

What about the Foundry that caters to the big and tall man? Should regular joes's be ticked they can't shop there?

That's a little bit different than saying "we don't sell clothes to unattractive people".
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Conceptually, I don't see much of a difference between this and refusing to hire people for retail positions who don't have a "certain look."

Of course, it's a short jump from this to potentially crappy discrimination generally. As people of a certain weight aren't a protected class, that's sort of a moot point anyway.

Sounds like the implementation is sort of ham-fisted, but I'll never a see a difference personally. I can smell an A&F from a across a mall and use that as a way to judge where not to go. It'd be like working in a perfume or candle store; I still don't know how people do that without constant migraines.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You know, Lane Bryant really only hires plus-sized women to sell their clothes, and don't sell clothing smaller than a size 14. Is that an outrage? They don't really want to sell things to smaller sized people, and only market to larger people.

Same thing if you ask me. Now, is the CEO guy kind of a pretentious *kitten* with his words? Sure, but he's not doing anything different than most other stores.

While I agree with your point, Lane Bryant will hire anyone who is qualified. You might see more plus-sized working there just because they SHOP there so it's in their mind to hire there. But I've been in Lane Bryant's with non-plus size employees.

Agreed. And SO glad I don't have to shop there anymore. :)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    tumblr_miu61r9fNj1rlqb55o1_500.gif
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

What about the Foundry that caters to the big and tall man? Should regular joes's be ticked they can't shop there?

That's a little bit different than saying "we don't sell clothes to unattractive people".

Pretty smart business move. He sells to mostly young folk. Young folk are all about image and popularity. Wearing cloths that the ceo said are not for unattractive people makes those immature folks that buy his line of clothing feel more attractive about not only themselfs but also they feel good about their purchase.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Pretty smart business move. He sells to mostly young folk. Young folk are all about image and popularity. Wearing cloths that the ceo said are not for unattractive people makes those immature folks feel more attractive about not only themselfs but their purchase.

Stop being so right, I'm starting to like you -.-
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    What IF -- you are shopping 4 someone else -- like your daughter for example... stooopid plan
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    tumblr_miu61r9fNj1rlqb55o1_500.gif

Naaaaw! LOL
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The people I feel bad for, the ones who are probably most affected, are the young people who are too big to shop in the store while all of their friends are buying their clothes there. In a time when girls (and boys too) are already self conscious enough about their bodies (the teen years, as this seems to be who the store caters to the most), this just seems like it would help perpetuate feelings of low self-esteem and low self worth based on body weight because they can't fit their *kitten* into a size 10...I get that some stores stop and start at certain sizes, but this seems to go beyond that somehow....that CEO sounds like an as*hat and I hope that my tween daughter never asks to shop there (of course, she's too small right now, but who knows what her teen years will hold.)
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Pretty smart business move. He sells to mostly young folk. Young folk are all about image and popularity. Wearing cloths that the ceo said are not for unattractive people makes those immature folks feel more attractive about not only themselfs but their purchase.

Stop being so right, I'm starting to like you -.-

haha Bring it on ...:drinker:
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of stores that don't sell clothes I can wear. It's annoying, but I find places to get what I need. The thing that bothers me is this jerk's attitude toward people he deems not cool enough to shop at his hallowed stores. He's just a jerk. When I am in the size range A&F carries I'll walk past it to shop at H&M.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Average American woman is 5'4, 144# and wears a size 14. The supermodels that they want are 5'10 and 117# which is severely underweight/malnurished/GROSS......

Bones are for dogs, just don't shop there, or buy anything from them for anyone else.

He is a pig and screw the company. The clothes are outrageously prices anyhow!

If I ever end up 117lb., it's probably because I'm dying. The lightest I've ever been is 170lb. Ever. And I'm 5'11. Just sayin'...
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Them not catering to people of a certain size doesn't bother me in the least; there are plenty of plus-sized and "regular" stores to go around. They cater to a certain look and are quite strict about it to the point where their sales floor associates are called "models." The CEO's holier than thou attitude does bother me a little, but he's hardly the first. Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld both have said things of a similar vein. Calvin said something in the 90's about how women shouldn't ever go above a 14 to stay attractive or some such and CK sells plus sizes now.

For me, it's non-issue as I couldn't go in their stores if I wanted to. That effing perfume they spray every three seconds makes me sneeze from across the mall. I'm actually frightened to go inside the store. And I *like* perfume!

Honestly, I feel sorry for the A&F guy. He seems like he's making up for something.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow there are a lot of just terrible attitudes and people here...and it was what he said...not that he feels that way and not that he runs his store that way. He is an *kitten*, plain and simple and some of you are just here to argue for the sake of arguing.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Not that I ever shopped at that store or give a ... but that is pretty outrageous. The only reason that company is still in business is because of passive people around the world who either don't do anything or keep buying their products.

If you want to get at this guy, don't give it any more attention. Tell your friends, family, anyone who will listen your opinion and the facts and let them decide. Hopefully anyone with a brain and a nice body won't shop there.

This is an awesome comment! I completely agree. I was hoping to catch people's eye with the "outraged" topic and it bit me in the *kitten*...oh well. I just wanted people to know about it. At one time I couldn't wait until I could fit into their clothes but now I will NEVER buy their clothes.

I appreciate the people who have "half a brain" and commented appropriately! :)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I understand. I used to get pissed everytime I'd walk by the American Girl store at the mall, and I'd see something cute, and I knew I couldn't get the same outfit for myself. Then I'd catch my reflection in the window and remember that I'm a grown man. Fortunately the same mall had an Orange Julius and a Bass Pro Shop so that helped assuage my anger.