Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i am also outraged that afro-sheen only caters to the african-american
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If he wants to cut his possible profit in half than let him. There are a lot of women out there size 12 & over who will take their money else where. I've noticed that even Costco has stopped carrying XXL clothing at my local store which irks me. I used to buy a lot of their clothing. Hopefully I'll be in the XL size soon but its still upsetting to pay good money to shop there & be limited to what I can purchase.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I'm sure the african-american community wouldn't mind you giving it a try, although I doubt you'd like it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    the_man_behind_abercrombie_fitch.jpg
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    How outraged are you at plus sized shops that do not offer sizes below a 12?

I was thinking the same thing....places like Roamans that go to a 12...but there 12 is like an 18 anywhere else....
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options

it's a private marketplace, he can sell and market to whoever he wants.

Are you mad that The Children's Place only sells childrens clothes?

What about the Foundry that caters to the big and tall man? Should regular joes's be ticked they can't shop there?

That's a little bit different than saying "we don't sell clothes to unattractive people".

Exactly! It's very different. Again I say, I'm not actually mad... I just think that guy is a douche bag.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You know, Lane Bryant really only hires plus-sized women to sell their clothes, and don't sell clothing smaller than a size 14. Is that an outrage? They don't really want to sell things to smaller sized people, and only market to larger people.

Same thing if you ask me. Now, is the CEO guy kind of a pretentious *kitten* with his words? Sure, but he's not doing anything different than most other stores.

Lane Bryant does not only hire plus-sized women. Neither does Avenue. I've seen women of all sizes employed at the stores in my area.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm only upset over how RUDE it sounded. I mean.. I don't care what he does with his company.. but still. It is rude and sounds awful though.

For the ones saying 'What about plus size stores'.. I have never seen any of those stores say 'We only want fat beautiful people in our stores!'.. * correct me if I'm wrong =/ *

I still think it would be funny to go try on some shirts and cry in the store when they don't fit.. :mad:

I guess.. my thoughts are 'Dude.. why the hell would you say that??'
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm only upset over how RUDE it sounded. I mean.. I don't care what he does with his company.. but still. It is rude and sounds awful though.

For the ones saying 'What about plus size stores'.. I have never seen any of those stores say 'We only want fat beautiful people in our stores!'.. * correct me if I'm wrong =/ *

I still think it would be funny to go try on some shirts and cry in the store when they don't fit.. :mad:

Did you see the part where they discriminate when they hire and they make their employees do exercises?? Yeah.. that part is what really pissed me off. That is going past the line.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2320868/Thin-beautiful-customers-ONLY-How-Abercrombie--Fitch-doesnt-want-larger-people-shopping-stores.html
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

220px-Mike_Jeffries.jpeg

From someone who likes to make the decisions on who is good-looking and who isn't, he is pretty hideous. Wow - plastic surgery gone horribly wrong.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This is an awesome comment! I completely agree. I was hoping to catch people's eye with the "outraged" topic and it bit me in the *kitten*...oh well. I just wanted people to know about it. At one time I couldn't wait until I could fit into their clothes but now I will NEVER buy their clothes.

I appreciate the people who have "half a brain" and commented appropriately! :)

So anyone who doesn't think this is worth becoming "outraged" at has "half a brain"? I mean this in the kindest way, but some people prefer to save their "outrage" for things that actually matter. No one can argue that he sounds like an *kitten*, but a store that only caters to its target market is nothing new. Sorry, but there are more important things for me to be concerned about.

You don't get to decide what is "appropriate" for other people to feel.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I'm sure the african-american community wouldn't mind you giving it a try, although I doubt you'd like it.

Why wouldn't he? The same chemicals that are in afro-sheen are in pretty much every other hair product out there. Don't let the name fool you.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Strikes me as odd that we would be outraged that he would worship thinness while we struggle mightily to get there and stay there ourselves.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The other thing they want us for people to talk about it...it gets their name out good or bad, it's still publicity. Who cares who they sell to....their company. Good or bad, agree or not, it's the way it's been for a whole.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ehhh who cares, if I tried to live my life up to how corporate america wanted me too I would be in a sate of constant depression...i don't look like a Calvin Klein model but I still buy their business attire because I like it...

Its a free market, deal with it...

if it really pisses you off that much use it for motivation...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why wouldn't he? The same chemicals that are in afro-sheen are in pretty much every other hair product out there. Don't let the name fool you.

get yourrrrr soouuuuuuul glooowwwww ....sorry coming to america moment...
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Explain the logic you are using here.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Did you see the part where they discriminate when they hire and they make their employees do exercises?? Yeah.. that part is what really pissed me off. That is going past the line.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2320868/Thin-beautiful-customers-ONLY-How-Abercrombie--Fitch-doesnt-want-larger-people-shopping-stores.html

what is wrong with making them exercise? Exercise is good for you, right?

Maybe they want to keep their health care costs down....

Me thinks you do not understand business....
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Would'nt shop there even if I was a "appropriate" size. I couldn't stand being somewhere with all the smart *kitten* teenagers and not being able to slap someone !!! :laugh: :laugh: :happy: :laugh: :happy:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I haven't read the rest of the comments but this is exactly what I was thinking. There are stores that cater to the obese, stores that cater to the very small, stores that cater to men only, stores that cater to pregnant women, stores only for children or juniors, etc... Just because the CEO says he only wants attractive people shopping there doesn't mean that unattractive people won't. So what if they only carry size 10 and below. I think for a while American Apparel only carried size 8 and below. They finally started adding "plus sizes" up to size 12 because of the demand and to increase their profits. Who cares.