Outraged!

Options

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I worked there at 17 and was subject to the most blatant sexual harassment imaginable. If only I had been older, smarter, and more litigious... I'd be making some dumba$^ comments about MY company. And I'd have changed the name and sell athletic wear and bikinis. haha

Oh.. sorry if this was a serious post. I tried.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    So don't shop there. Freedom of speech, even if that speech makes you a doosh monkey.

He has a right to be a turd, and you have a right not to shop there. Simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wonders if OP gets pissed when she goes in mens store and they have no womans clothes..hmmmmm...?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So don't shop there. Freedom of speech, even if that speech makes you a doosh monkey.

He has a right to be a turd, and you have a right not to shop there. Simple.

i reserve the right to re use doosh monkey ....
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When men's stores fail to sell dresses and skirts, it's not because they think girls have cooties. When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I worked there at 17 and was subject to the most blatant sexual harassment imaginable. If only I had been older, smarter, and more litigious... I'd be making some dumba$^ comments about MY company. And I'd have changed the name and sell athletic wear and bikinis. haha

Oh.. sorry if this was a serious post. I tried.

you serious fit, come on now?
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you want to really protest, go national and get every heavyset person you know to buy their shirts and shoe horn themselves into the shirts and wear them everywhere lol. The tighter fitting, the better lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think he is just being honest. The store has a certain image they market to, and that's how the money is made. If he chooses to market to a skinny crowd, so be it. Many teen stores only carry smaller sizes, no larges. That's their prerogative. I know where I like to shop and that's where I go.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i am also outraged that afro-sheen only caters to the african-american

I'm sure the african-american community wouldn't mind you giving it a try, although I doubt you'd like it.

Why wouldn't he? The same chemicals that are in afro-sheen are in pretty much every other hair product out there. Don't let the name fool you.

get yourrrrr soouuuuuuul glooowwwww ....sorry coming to america moment...

I'll give you extra points if you post a soul glow gif

soul-glo-o.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    TEN POINTS FOR YOU!!!
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree! Even before i was EVER pregnant I could never squeeze myself into any of their clothes! They size them for a specific body type and Im sorry but most of the world is NOT that type.
    They are just pigeon holing themselves, their own issue. who cares.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never been in an Ambercrummies and have never bought there lame attire anyway ... never will.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am also outraged that afro-sheen only caters to the african-american

I'm sure the african-american community wouldn't mind you giving it a try, although I doubt you'd like it.

Why wouldn't he? The same chemicals that are in afro-sheen are in pretty much every other hair product out there. Don't let the name fool you.

get yourrrrr soouuuuuuul glooowwwww ....sorry coming to america moment...

I'll give you extra points if you post a soul glow gif

soul-glo-o.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
    TEN POINTS FOR YOU!!!

bahahahahahahaha...that is awesome...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When men's stores fail to sell dresses and skirts, it's not because they think girls have cooties. When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with your points.

I don't see a difference between catering to smaller people, or plus sized people, or men or children or whatever or anything wrong with it.
    I do see the issue with what he said, I don't think anyone here has agreed with his stance. I don't think anyone defended his stance, only his right to have it
    But honestly, there are tons of stores that do the exact same thing, they aren't just as bluntly honest about it.
  • bhbarros
    Options

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The CEO probably pops his collar and refers to other males as "bro".
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    CEO looks like Gary Busey
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    wow...so they are saying that if I come in there with a grand to spend, they wouldn't want it?
    ummm.....not a smart business move, but oh well, maybe they'll go under haha!:indifferent:
  • bhbarros
    Options
    I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with your points.

I don't see a difference between catering to smaller people, or plus sized people, or men or children or whatever or anything wrong with it.
    I do see the issue with what he said, I don't think anyone here has agreed with his stance. I don't think anyone defended his stance, only his right to have it
    But honestly, there are tons of stores that do the exact same thing, they aren't just as bluntly honest about it.

You'd be surprised. Some people on this thread, and on the article I read, are agreeing with him.

It's true, though, that this problem spans beyond one CEO and one store. But when these stories arise, I think it IS important to take a strong stand. If this man made these statements and NO ONE reacted, the "uncool" bigger girls might think that the CEO's sentiment is shared by the wider populous, and that's NOT okay.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.

Ok - I will take my wise as# hat off and put on my serious one. It is a Free Market and the CEO can sell and/or market to whatever group he says fit. You at the same time have the right to buy, or not buy his produce. However, his catering to skinny "hot" people is no different then walmart catering to low income people. In business you find your niche and exploit it for profit gain/maximization ...

Ok - wise *kitten* hat back now...i