A side thread off of the 5000 calorie day thread...

Options

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that thread was about eating 5000 calories a day ONE time.

You see people advising others to eat more, because for some reason people on this site tend to believe that 1200 is a magical number, no matter how much you weigh, how tall or active you are.

As for eating "dirty". I don't like to categorize my foods into "dirty" and "clean". There is no such thing for me.There is absolutely nothing that you need to completely cut out of your diet to lose weight. I focus on getting enough protein, take a multivitamin a day, eat some fruit and veggies, and fill the rest of my day with whatever I want.
    If for some reason something, say chocolate, causes you to binge, it's a sign you might need to work on psychological issues.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I know which corner I want to stand in. How bout you?
    Yea, I'm with this guy.

I'm standing over her with Dave and Lea.

Totally, totally, totally want to stand in this corner!

Add another one to this corner! I'm going to stand with the people that have had AMAZING results without the craziness.

How I imagine this party
    tumblr_lyci9jpqnD1r2g0fso1_500.gif
    Pretty much how I pictured it.

And this corner isn't just reserved for the folks who have already achieved their goal. Naw, this is for all the folks that strive to have a healthy, balanced relationship with food.

No "CAKE IS THE DEBIL" folks allowed.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation because any person who has ended up here has probably realized at one point that eating all the foods you love (calorie dense and non-nutritional to extremely healthy and nutritional) needs to be done in a manner that works. One day doesn't kill you, it can throw you a little off track but it's not actually harmful in when you look at the big picture.

The girl was asking about consuming 5000 calories in a single day and not in a single meal but asked what she can eat (probably looking for healthy and unhealthy foods to include) and with so many different people there are so many different opinions that she can take a piece of and make her own decision. She was also attacked for eating high sugar foods which can be a wake up call and can also be detrimental to getting the question answered.

My advice to her was fairly healthy but only a single meal at about 800-900 calories (toast with wowbutter, cherry jam, banana with a side of two large full eggs fried without fat or spray)

Does it matter who gives the advice for what reason as long as the person acts responsible for themselves and chooses the diet for that day depending on their needs and what they want? The people who answer these questions are not responsible for anyone else's choices, they are responsible for their own... end of story.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Do you really think all those fit people who eat "bad" food are genetically special snow flakes?

Or maybe it's okay for anyone to occasionally have "bad" food. Or maybe there's really no such thing as "bad" or "good" food. Even McDonald's hamburgers have protein and iron. Candy gives you energy. They serve Skittles at the aid stations for my husband's mountain bike racing. Pizza has protein, calcium, fiber, etc.

Now I agree that people shouldn't make others feel stupid but I see no harm in trying to educate others on the subject. How many people give up because they can't eat only "good" food? Would more people stick to their "diets" if they had more freedom? Or if they were "allowed" more convenient options?

you called people unique snow flakes, lets be friends
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want, i eat processed foods, sugar loaded foods, fatty greasy foods... i just fit it into my daily calories. i also have 2 saturdays a month, that i go a little crazy with my friends / family, and possibly eat up to 5000 calories in a day (or drink them) and i have lost 70 pounds in 8 months... for those who wish to eat clean and restrictive, great, but its not a MUST... weight loss is simple, calories in / calories out... as for body comp... im not at that point right now, im focussing on weight loss... and enjoying klondike ice cream DAILY while doing it!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You're making it sound like those people are so extraordinary and spend hours and hours in the gym. They're still normal people, they just have discipline and are consistently working hard while still enjoying life.

Some of those 'normal folks' you're talking about have trouble sticking with a diet precisely because it's so strict.

But please, continue talking about them like they're freaks of nature, it's helping your point.

All this right here. I spend 60 mins working out 3x per week and 15-30 mins working out on 3 other days. It's not exactly superhuman to get in 45 mins of exercise 6 days per week. I don't even run. So yes, please stop acting like people that get in shape are from a different planet or something. A lot of the "super shape" people have 'before' photos that would blow your mind with how out of shape they were when they began.

I ask you a counter question: Since it's known that most people fall off the diet wagon because it's too restrictive and they end up missing their favorite foods, what is so wrong with telling them that they can lose weight while continuing to eat things they enjoy? So many threads here are "OMGZ I BINGED THIS WEEKEND AND ATES A DONUT SO NOW I WANT TO GIVE UP." And we're like, "Meh, whats wrong with donuts, don't panic, eat your normal calorie deficit today and you'll be fine."

In one corner I see a bunch of people achieving incredible results without stressing out, having a good time, telling jokes, and making post after post trying to help people. In the other corner, I see a bunch of people stressing out about invisible nutritional boogeymen, panicking if they don't have access to "clean" foods, having anxiety attacks about eating a company functions and family holidays, and continually dropping from the site because they had two days of fast food so they quit everything.

<3 you both! :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think the OPs confusion isn't with the advice the successful people give. She wonders how they got successful if they eat so badly. I think some of you are answering this, but in a roundabout way.
    The thing is: The people who are most supportive and give the best advice probably have been at this for a long time. That's how they got knowledgeable. They now have things under control and can afford an indulgence now and then. For them, bacon is not such a big deal anymore, and it shouldn't be.
    But, that is why what seems like a contradiction really isn't.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm with this guy.

I'm standing over her with Dave and Lea.

Totally, totally, totally want to stand in this corner!

Add another one to this corner! I'm going to stand with the people that have had AMAZING results without the craziness.

How I imagine this party
    tumblr_lyci9jpqnD1r2g0fso1_500.gif
    Pretty much how I pictured it.

And this corner isn't just reserved for the folks who have already achieved their goal. Naw, this is for all the folks that strive to have a healthy, balanced relationship with food.

No "CAKE IS THE DEBIL" folks allowed.
    Totally in this corner.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering because my mind is boggled. I'm not trying to be condescending or rude. This is an honest question/statement. Alot of the fittest people on this site (who I'm not naming cuz i dont want to finger point but are super knowledgeable and well known for giving great advice and they know who they are and can respond if they wish to) are the people that are condoning and even promoting eating dirty and super high calorie foods that have not much to offer from a nutritional or calorie deficit standpoint.

Most of the people Im referring to have made posts on the recent 5000 calorie day thread, but I've seen it all over the forums when people talk about eating clean, avoiding traditional "junk foods" etc. Some even poke fun at people and make them feel like they're doing something silly by trying to eat healthier to lose weight. These people I speak of all have super 6 packs and obviously have had great results with their lifestyles. Hence why my mind is boggled knowing that most of the people found a need to get on this site from eating meals such as these.

Most average people aren't putting in the workouts that these ripped people obviously do that make eating like that and looking like THAT possible. They cant really be blessed with genetics that would allow eating that way and NOT working out to result in bodies like those works of art! So why make the average person feel like its wrong or stupid to try to eat "healthier" and avoid trigger foods (like sweets for me) and heavily processed foods, and that eating 5000 calories a day will not affect weight loss results and is actually good for the average overweight person?

I understand it can be part of a whole lifestyle, or bodybuilding program. Things like carb cycling, backloading, high calorie days, intense workouts. But I think its misleading to the average joe trying to lose a few pounds to say "if you want to eat it, then just eat it, its not going to harm you" without a disclaimer of some sort saying "You best not do this all the time and you best get your *kitten* to the gym and lift some heavy weights and go for a run after binging like this cuz mopping doesnt count as exercise if you eat like me" .

Thoughts? :flowerforyou:
    I think the point that most of the MFP superstars are making is that it's OK to eat "junk food" or "bad" food *sometimes* - that being rigid about denial is often what leads people to diet failure.

On the surface, it may sound hypocritical. But in truth, it's not. It's actually poking fun at the way we (those of us trying to diet) get all obsessive and strict and look at dieting like a prison sentence. I think many of the people poking fun are at least partially poking fun at themselves and their own past attitudes.

To me, the advice is freeing. It's saying you absolutely *CAN* eat junk food sometimes, provided you are hitting your macros and meeting your calorie goals. The approach resonates with so many people (myself included) because it becomes much less a diet, and much more a new way of eating - something more sustainable.

If I really love donuts, why not allow myself a donut treat every once in awhile if it makes the rest of the week more satisfying?
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Without reading through all the responses (I did read the OP), here are my thoughts:

First, I wish I had a time machine to go forward 20 or 30 years into the future and see how those people eating dirty yet sporting six packs are doing. Seriously. Then, I'd like to take a peek at myself and some of the other clean eaters here and see how we compare.

Because I have heard so many stories of people who had great physiques in their younger years who are suffering from all kinds of degenerative (and preventable!) diseases, who have a beer belly and are totally out of shape.

I believe that you can get away with eating dirty for a while. I did for a summer--ate at Taco Bell almost every lunch, but I was walking a good portion of the day and lost weight. However, that's not something I could do now in my 30's after having 3 children. And most people can't walk as much as I did to keep the calories down.

In hindsight, I'm in the second best shape of my life right now, minus the weight I need to lose. The first best shape would be when I was doing P90X when I got pregnant with my 3rd. And my goal is that by the next pregnancy (I kind of feel like we'll have another one), I want to be in even better shape than that! MFP is helping me do that. :happy:
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Whats the point of living if you are just going to be miserable doing it. We are not robots, imperfection is beautiful. Have a slice of cake.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I wandered over because my FL contains a lot of the people who are chiming in and going to the DavPul party. Anyway I thought I could add my .02 as a "during" rather than an "after" (though there's no after).

These people are not magical. The difference between them and you and me that they started earlier. That's it. And frankly I'm glad they don't keep their way of doing things a secret because it's made getting healthy, strong, and fit a positive, fun, empowering experience for me so far.

*Puts on Shufflebot head, scampers to DavPul party*.
    308w7x2.jpg
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Im not looking to offend/bash anyone either on here, BUT I am a firm believer in whatever works for you, do it. With weight loss, sometimes it's trial and error. Folks take things WAY too seriously on here. If things bother ya THAT much, simply dont read it. It is a choice to read the threads or not. Some of them are helpful and informational, others are just not, plain and simple. Responding to threads that you dont care for/dont agree with/dont understand, etc is a CHOICE.

I had to learn for MYSELF that I have to eat in moderation. I can still have that icecream sandwich if I have enough calories in the day or I budget them (so to speak) during the week, but its a healthier version (ie. skinny cow vs haagen daz (sp?)) If I deprive myself of something I WILL go and binge, without a doubt. This is a journey..literally, in my opinion because I had to learn how to make the right choices and substituations that were best for ME. I take suggestions and advice into consideration, but I dont make them the end all, be all. thats my CHOICE :P

Rachael
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm with this guy.

I'm standing over here with Dave and Lea.

OOPS!

I'm still fat-ish, but I'm getting on this bus baby.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're making it sound like those people are so extraordinary and spend hours and hours in the gym. They're still normal people, they just have discipline and are consistently working hard while still enjoying life.

Some of those 'normal folks' you're talking about have trouble sticking with a diet precisely because it's so strict.

But please, continue talking about them like they're freaks of nature, it's helping your point.

All this right here. I spend 60 mins working out 3x per week and 15-30 mins working out on 3 other days. It's not exactly superhuman to get in 45 mins of exercise 6 days per week. I don't even run. So yes, please stop acting like people that get in shape are from a different planet or something. A lot of the "super shape" people have 'before' photos that would blow your mind with how out of shape they were when they began.

I ask you a counter question: Since it's known that most people fall off the diet wagon because it's too restrictive and they end up missing their favorite foods, what is so wrong with telling them that they can lose weight while continuing to eat things they enjoy? So many threads here are "OMGZ I BINGED THIS WEEKEND AND ATES A DONUT SO NOW I WANT TO GIVE UP." And we're like, "Meh, whats wrong with donuts, don't panic, eat your normal calorie deficit today and you'll be fine."

In one corner I see a bunch of people achieving incredible results without stressing out, having a good time, telling jokes, and making post after post trying to help people. In the other corner, I see a bunch of people stressing out about invisible nutritional boogeymen, panicking if they don't have access to "clean" foods, having anxiety attacks about eating a company functions and family holidays, and continually dropping from the site because they had two days of fast food so they quit everything.

Amen, brother. Preach!

And I am a convert from the "clean" side. For *some* people, a strict diet *is* what they need. However, based on my observations here over the past few years, I believe that "some" is much smaller than I first believed...and may actually be even smaller still.

That said, adding a few more veggies to most MFPer's diets (my own included) wouldn't hurt...(but I mean *in addition to*, not *in lieu of*).
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Paragraphs people!!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I know someone said this, but I wanted to drive home the point that people were giving examples of A CHEAT DAY of 5000 calories.

NOT 5000 calories A DAY.

We "go around the forums" saying things about making sure you have foods you enjoy in your day because we have BEEN THERE.
    Do you think every fit/chiseled person saying this started out that way? it didn't happen magically!

Would you feel better if I said it as the old me?
    33110506_7732.jpg

instead of now?
    33110506_3350.jpg

No one is saying don't eat grains, protein, and fiber, and fruits and vegetables!!!! They are saying there is ALSO room for a bit of ice cream.

The minute I learned this is the minute I stopped obsessing about every little thing I put in my mouth, why make life unpleasant?
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    if someone would have told me to eat whatever i want in moderation when i first started losing weight i would have failed miserably.......i was as strict as you could be the first 6 months which engrained the habit of eating clean and healthy then loosened up from there to integrating my favorite unhealthy options into my diet on occasional basis...i think telling someone who has 100 lbs to lose that you should eat whatever you want in moderation is irresponsible. by the way i lost my first 40 lbs by not touching a weight and only doing cardio and eating 1200 cals a day...and by looking at my pics you can see i shouldnt have done this because the cardio ate away all my muscles when i went into "starvation mode"
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Whats the point of living if you are just going to be miserable doing it. We are not robots, imperfection is beautiful. Have a slice of cake.

I LOVE your attitude !! :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if someone would have told me to eat whatever i want in moderation when i first started losing weight i would have failed miserably.......i was as strict as you could be the first 6 months which engrained the habit of eating clean and healthy then loosened up from there to integrating my favorite unhealthy options into my diet on occasional basis...i think telling someone who has 100 lbs to lose that you should eat whatever you want in moderation is irresponsible. by the way i lost my first 40 lbs by not touching a weight and only doing cardio and eating 1200 cals a day...and by looking at my pics you can see i shouldnt have done this because the cardio ate away all my muscles when i went into "starvation mode"

Most important part of any diet is adherence, the more strict the diet, the less adherence has been shown to be. So it'd prob be irresponsible not to promote the most flexible way of dieting.