Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Well, happy Bru dance time!!! I officially graduated tonight!!! I never thought that I'd be able to complete this plan without repeating any days/weeks. I feel so great finishing this!! I now plan to start it over again in about 2weeks and work on speed. Keep going to those who are still going, you will feel great by the end, sweaty, but great!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Well, happy Bru dance time!!! I officially graduated tonight!!! I never thought that I'd be able to complete this plan without repeating any days/weeks. I feel so great finishing this!! I now plan to start it over again in about 2weeks and work on speed. Keep going to those who are still going, you will feel great by the end, sweaty, but great!

Here's my blog on it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BrunetteWife/view/could-you-graduate-in-9weeks-i-did-33877
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Congratulations!
    Keep it up!

I'm working on upping my speed now too. I ran an 8 minute mile this morning then finished out the other two miles at a 10 minute per mile pace.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    :drinker: CONGRATULATIONS BRU!!! :drinker: **happy dance** :drinker:

Wmchick81 – I am so glad to hear you survived Week 4, Day 1! It’s coming up on Saturday for me! Although I will be running at a snail’s pace compared to you - I’m still working myself up to 5.0! (As an aside, do you get a lot of people telling you that you look like Piper Perabo? Or is it just this particular picture of you? I seriously thought you were posting a celebrity picture for privacy reasons until I looked at your other photos! Who needs to post celeb pics, when you look so amazing yourself! :happy: )

jr – way to go on increasing your speeds!

I completed Week 3 this morning. I didn’t enjoy it, but I did it.
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options

Wmchick81 – I am so glad to hear you survived Week 4, Day 1! It’s coming up on Saturday for me! Although I will be running at a snail’s pace compared to you - I’m still working myself up to 5.0! (As an aside, do you get a lot of people telling you that you look like Piper Perabo? Or is it just this particular picture of you? I seriously thought you were posting a celebrity picture for privacy reasons until I looked at your other photos! Who needs to post celeb pics, when you look so amazing yourself! :happy: )

I was so happy to survive. Before I started, I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. I have to come enjoy the "high" I get from completing each session!! I have never been told that before. I have heard Jessica Simpson and Hayden Panettiere which are the two celebs I used for facebook celeb look a like week. :-) I wouldn't mind looking like Piper though :-) Gotta love Coyote Ugly!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Earin, I guess Piper came to mind first, as I've been watching her new tv show Covert Affairs the last few weeks. And yes, I can totally see the Jessica resemblance for sure. I'll let you know how I do on my Week 4 run later this week!
  • wmchick81
    Options
    What is Covert Affairs about? I might have to check it out. I do like her. When I was in college, I worked at the tanning bed and people would come in a lot and say you know who you look like. :-) I guess I am glad they picked someone pretty. Let me know what you think about Week 4. I don't know if I'll be able to do more than 5 minutes of running straight. Good thing I have two more days of Week 4!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Good job Bru!! Congratulations!! Couch to 5K Graduate! :drinker: Yay, you did it!
  • kelly_a
    Options
    I'm working on upping my speed now too. I ran an 8 minute mile this morning then finished out the other two miles at a 10 minute per mile pace.

Awesome!! You are a running machine! I am still working on a 10 min mile :ohwell: encouraging and a real challenge!
  • kelly_a
    Options
    W8D2 completed!! can't believe how drenched in sweat I am during and after! :sick: but a good kinda :sick: .....:bigsmile: My distance and cals burned increased from Monday!! improving!

everybody......no matter what week you're on, keep pushing forward....you are doing a great job and nothing can stop you now!! You're gonna do this!! Woot woot! :happy:
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just finished w3d2, but I had to walk the last half of my second 3-minute run. I am really disappointed that I wasn't able to do the whole thing. I have been sick with a stomach virus, so I think that's why I felt so weak. Hopefully when I do day 3 on Friday I'll be feeling better. :angry:
  • gmchevere
    gmchevere Posts: 11
    Options
    So I'm in decent shape, but there's no way I could run a 5k. The most I've ever run at once is 2.5 miles and I felt like death after. When I run (which is rare) I just run 1-1.5 miles. I wanted to try C25K, but I feel as though the first few weeks might be a little slow. Would it be okay to start the program on week 3, or is really a good idea to do the whole thing?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you could start at week 3 for sure especially if you already run.

I am a never before runner and I did week 8 day 2 today.....I even upped my speed a bit for extra calorie burn
  • gmchevere
    gmchevere Posts: 11
    Options
    Alright, I'm gonna give it a shot, starting at week 3!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! I cant believe I found this group!!! I love couch to 5K (although I have taken a few breaks from it and am only on week 2) but I am planning on restarting couch to 5k with my new iphone app on August 5th!!! :)) and now I have a place to log it!!!

when I figured out that in week 1 I was only really running 8 minutes and walking 22...I was pouring the sweat but only burned like x amount of calories...did anyone else feel like that was not right?? or am I just nuts???

I just sat here and read a bunch of your posts and am soo excited to have this group!!! I hope ya'll are just as excited as me!!!
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Julie Sue,

I wonder if we're burning more calories than we think we are because we're alternating walking and running. I've read that alternating helps you to burn more calories. I'm on week 3 and I've been consistently losing about a pound a week even though a lot of times I eat more than my calories for the day, so I must be doing something right!

Jen
  • wmchick81
    Options
    I agree with Julie Sue. You would think you would burn more calories because of the change in heart rate. I just bought a heart rate monitor (Polar F6) off ebay, so I will have to see if the calories match.
  • kelly_a
    Options
    I bought a HRM in March of '09 for that reason alone....and was surprised to learn that I WAS burning MORE than what MFP would say. This increased my calorie level, so prior to getting one, I was under my daily total. I wear it all the time when I exercise, even push mow! It is the Polar F6...I love it! I can look at it and know if I under-at-above my target heart rate OR at what % of my HR I am at. I would suggest getting a HRM if possible...or maybe even reward yourself with one down the road. The ones with the chest strap are more accurate as well. good luck everyone...get off that couch and start 5King it!
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Kelly- I had read great things about the Polar F6 so that's why I ordered that one. I can't wait to see what it says after my workout.

Finished (barely) Week 4 Day 2- although it was the same workout as day 1, I had a much harder time today. I couldn't keep my speed at 6.0 or higher for the runs. I was okay with the 3 minutes, but the 5 minute jogs were killing me. My feet were hurting even though I was wearing the same shoes I've been using.
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    yeah I heard the same thing about interval running like going from running to walking and so forth and I am completely drenched in sweat when I run!! no matter if its outside or inside...so I am now looking into the ploar f6 heart monitor wih the chest strap after reading soo many good things about it on here!! i actually just might go ahead nad get it but its not so cheaply LOL but if it helps me then it will be WELL worth it!!! :))

I am headed to FLA today and will be home Wednesday the 4th and that is when I am starting the couch to 5k program again!!! I think I am going to take some advice that I read on here and make myself a sticker chart soo I can place a sticker on each day when I finish it !!! YAY!!! LOL I think I am going to do couch to 5k along side ChaLEAN Extreme!!! sooo we will see wish me luck!!! I need to do this and I want to do this and I am signed up for my first 5k in November soo I need to get trained and READY!!!!