Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I am on week4/ Day 3 will be tomorrow. I do Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and every other day I do lots of other stuff. i am doing my journey on my treadmill. It keeps track of distance, calories burned, carbs burned, has incline and adjustable speed (oh, and a built in fan!) I may just repeat back to week one, and do a 3.0 incline (if not higher), because from week 1, I have had either no incline or only 1.0. I figured I needed to get my stamina up first. Now that I am actually *gasp* enjoying the jogging part more than the walking, I might bump it up a notch, knowing I can go the time necessary. I am just hoping that I don't develop shin splints doing it.

Whatever your goal is.....keep at it, and don't give up! All I have ever heard people say is, "You can do it!" I'm gonna hold them to it!

Also, to the poster that said she didn't realize how many hills were on her road....AMEN, SISTA! :drinker:
  • Autumn256
    Autumn256 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am still on week 7. But last night we only jogged for 15 minutes b/c it was so hot and humid. (then we walked for 50 minutes) Also, I think my BF runs faster than me, and i probably should just do my own pace, and work up the speed. So, I will do my Day 2 on Friday and Day 3 on sunday. Have to adjust it around my pesky work schedule, lol. Today was a stretch day, an hour of yoga, much needed! Tomorrow, cardio and strength!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Finished W9D1 this morning and covered a total of 3.8 miles including the 5 minute warm up and cool down walks.

this is A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!! :drinker: what are your thoughts from Day 1 to now?

CONGRATS!!

It's a great program. I did repeat week 4 when the final run was harder to get through than I thought it should be. Overall I'm very impressed with my progress, in just 4 short weeks I went from being unable to run for 10 minutes at a time to running for a full 30 mins and finishing more than a 5K.

Big thumbs up!
  • jrkingery
    Options
    I am on week4/ Day 3 will be tomorrow. I do Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and every other day I do lots of other stuff. i am doing my journey on my treadmill. It keeps track of distance, calories burned, carbs burned, has incline and adjustable speed (oh, and a built in fan!) I may just repeat back to week one, and do a 3.0 incline (if not higher), because from week 1, I have had either no incline or only 1.0. I figured I needed to get my stamina up first. Now that I am actually *gasp* enjoying the jogging part more than the walking, I might bump it up a notch, knowing I can go the time necessary. I am just hoping that I don't develop shin splints doing it.

Whatever your goal is.....keep at it, and don't give up! All I have ever heard people say is, "You can do it!" I'm gonna hold them to it!

Also, to the poster that said she didn't realize how many hills were on her road....AMEN, SISTA! :drinker:

To ward off shin splits make sure you're not overextending (stepping out too far ahead) and coming down on your heel. There are a few videos on youtube that explain the ChiRunning method meant to minimize impact. It helped me a lot.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    To ward off shin splits make sure you're not overextending (stepping out too far ahead) and coming down on your heel.

I have also done this while walking, speed walking and uphill. ChiRunning method will help.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Ran a 1 min interval at 8 mph on TM today. It was fun. It was like riding a roller coaster when you kinda sorta wanna puke, and you're not quite sure if you're gonna live or not. Total adrenaline rush.

Doing sprints will help me sustain lower speed for longer, right?
  • jrkingery
    Options
    I started doing 30 Day Shred this morning for my off days between C25K runs.
    My new schedule:
    C25K: Wednesday, Friday, Sunday

30 Day Shred: Thursday and Saturday

Recovery day (no workout): Mondays and Tuesdays

I'd like to do three days of each but my schedule on Monday and Tuesday makes it near impossible to gt in a eral workout, so I just run 20 flighs of stairs twice on those days..
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I officially completed week8!!! I never thought when I started this I would actually make it! I remember my first day I wanted to quit!! I didn't think I'd ever make a 3min run and here I am finishing a week full of 28min runs!! Of course, I'm not very fast, so my distance will need work if I do decide to start over in a few weeks (I have jury duty summons for the week of Aug9, the week after my bday, yay..). I hope you all have a fantastic week and I'll see ya next Monday-ish. XoxoxoX Bru
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did Week 7 day 2 yesterday. It went better than Day 1, but I still did not run for 25 minutes straight. I ran for 10, walked for 1, ran for 10, walked for 2, ran for 5. So I got the 25 minutes of jogging in, but not in a row. So should I go back to week 6 or just keep trying until I can run for 25 minutes? am I the only one who can't keep with the program? I have no excuses, really...
  • jrkingery
    Options
    I did Week 7 day 2 yesterday. It went better than Day 1, but I still did not run for 25 minutes straight. I ran for 10, walked for 1, ran for 10, walked for 2, ran for 5. So I got the 25 minutes of jogging in, but not in a row. So should I go back to week 6 or just keep trying until I can run for 25 minutes? am I the only one who can't keep with the program? I have no excuses, really...

When I had a problem with keeping up I just repeated the entire week. The final day of week four was tougher for me than I would have liked so I did that week over again the next week and then proceeded from there. I'm doing week 9 day 2 tomorrow morning.

Maybe you just had an off day? Try for day 3, if you can't make it then do week 7 over again.
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To ward off shin splits make sure you're not overextending (stepping out too far ahead) and coming down on your heel.

My daughter had shin splints last year and we bought her some Dr. Scholl's Custom Orthotic Inserts for her shoes. She used the machine that analyzed her feet and the way she stepped, and they really helped a lot. Google Dr. Scholl's for more info.
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2!

I'm curious what songs you run to. I need some new tunes that will inspire me to run. Any suggestions?

Jen
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    I definitely have to run to music. I get so bored on the treadmill or elliptical doing nothing. I bring a magazine and read during my walking intervals while maintaining a speed of 3.8-4.0mph. Obviously when I get to the run portion, I can NOT read but it gives me something to look forward to after my running intervals. I update my ipod playlist every couple weeks, so that the music keeps me motivated.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I have my droid on shuffle but I often hear :
    Ima be- Black Eyed Peas
    California Gurls- Katy Perry
    Circus- Brittney Spears
    Don't Stop Believin'- Journey
    Gunpowder and Lead- Miranda Lambert
    Honky Tonk Badonkadonk- Trace Adkins
    Hot n Cold- Katy Perry
    Paralyzer- Finger Eleven
    Sexy Back- Justinn Timberlake
    U Cant Touch This- MC Hammer
    Welcome to the Jungle- Guns N Roses

My randomness :D And that's just a small fraction!
  • amysj303
    Options
    my pod cast is just a dj electronic mix (DJ Beatsmith) which is ok when it changes every day, but when it's the same for all three days that is boring, so I listen to my ipod. I have some of the same songs, brunettewife, circus and welcome to the jungle! but I really like Pink's early stuff-Like a Pill, Trouble... Tik Tok but Keisha, Don't let me get me. I like happy, poppy up-beat stuff too
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    W7D3 in the bag! today's run went very well....in fact I felt I could have kept jogging. I know day 1 & 2 I was a little hungry, and today my meal was done not quite 2 hrs prior....and I was even worried that might cause me to not finish, or get nauseated. So a question to you all...how long after eating do you C25K?
  • jrkingery
    Options
    W7D3 in the bag! today's run went very well....in fact I felt I could have kept jogging. I know day 1 & 2 I was a little hungry, and today my meal was done not quite 2 hrs prior....and I was even worried that might cause me to not finish, or get nauseated. So a question to you all...how long after eating do you C25K?

I finished Week 9 Day 2 this morning. Almost graduation day!
    I run first thing after I get up in the mornings. I don't eat anything prior to my run, just drink about 8oz of water and head out.

Breakfast for me is after I finish my exercise routine in the mornings. It's the way we always did it in the Army, old habits die hard I guess.
  • amysj303
    Options
    usually I run before dinner, which is 5 hours after lunch but I usually have a small snack, piece of fruit an hour before. I am going to try different things though, I have run before breakfast and it didn't go too badly.
    congrats jrkingery on almost graduating!
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    During the school year, I get up at 5 AM and hit up the gym before work. This summer (when I started the Couch to 5K program) I have been running when I get done teaching summer school everyday which is around noon. I have a snack at 11, and then lunch when I am done running.
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of my C25K and liking it. I am doing my first 5K at the end of this September. And I started in April out just running one mile a couple of days every week then extending it to 1.5 and 2 miles. But I decided to try the C25K because I feel like I need to build up my endurance more so I can make it to more than 3 miles. So far I like it and I have heard nothing, but good things about it.

Great job to those that have completed it, are about to complete it and those working through it!!!