Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I did my Week 2, Day 1 workout today (90 sec run / 2 min walk x 6). So far, so good. It actually felt a bit easier than my runs last week, which is good. And I upped the speed on the treadmill a tiny bit. I had started at 4.5mph last week, and today, I did the first 4 run intervals at 4.6 and the last two at 4.7. I'm obviously not planning to win any speed contests - even when I was at my 'best' and running 5 miles races (=8k), I was running 12 minute miles (or 5.0 on the treadmill)...

I'm feeling good today - I weighed in and lost 2 pounds this week.
  • rawad
    rawad Posts: 8
    Options
    This is my first post on MFP - so glad to see there are so many C25K-ers out there! I finished the program a couple of months ago, and believe me, if I can do int ANYONE can! I'm doing 30-35 minute runs now, and am just starting to think about increasing my speed a bit. I'm a slow runner, but I know that was the secret to my being able to finish the program and to be able to do 30 minutes of non-stop running.

So my advice to anyone just starting out - take it slow!! As the runs get longer its okay for you to decrease your speed - that was the greatest piece of advice I got when I was doing it.

Off to the gym now - there's a treadmill there with my name on it!!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    HI all...

well, it's been a non-C25K week....kinda fell off here. I was to start WK6 on 7.5 SO, I am back on track now and will just see how today goes with a walk/jog. I will probably do week 5 over.
    I agree w/rawad on taking it slow.....and even slowing down on the longer jogs/runs. that is what I have been doing and I am able to finish each week. I am a slow jogger and make sure I have at least one day off between workouts too.....your body needs time to rest and recover. running faster should wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. the program is set up in a way so that you can ease your way into running and you should only move ahead when you 'feel' ready.

keep at it everyone....you're doing great!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    How do you record your c25k sessions in your exercise diary? I had hoped to find THE sessions and calorie counts available
    Thanks
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I divided up how many minutes of walking and jogging then went into exercise database to see how many calories each burned then added the 5min brisk walking/warm up to the rest. I went in and added my own exercise for each week, if that makes sense, there may be an easier way, but that's how I have been logging it.
  • julialee
    julialee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all, do you mind if I join you guys? I've been looking for a C25k group on MFP, and I didn't start at the same time as any of the other groups.

I've just finished Week 4, but I've decided to redo week 4 for one or two more sessions--the 5 mins is still a struggle, and I had 2 failures during the week due to knee pain/asthma (I can usually handle one or the other, but the two together are too much!)

Keep going strong on your hard work everyone!
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Hi all, do you mind if I join you guys? I've been looking for a C25k group on MFP, and I didn't start at the same time as any of the other groups.

I've just finished Week 4, but I've decided to redo week 4 for one or two more sessions--the 5 mins is still a struggle, and I had 2 failures during the week due to knee pain/asthma (I can usually handle one or the other, but the two together are too much!)

Keep going strong on your hard work everyone!

Not at all!! Welcome to the group!! Sounds like you are doing great! Especially by redoing a week and not overdoing it to the point of injury. I think we are all spaced out a little but we're here if you need anything.. Have a good evening!! Bru
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    I've been trying to charge up my MP3 player for my run that is scheduled for tomorrow morning, but it's been acting all weird. Oh well, the run will get done either way, with or without my podcast.

I have been doing my runs on my treadmill, so I added an exercise called 'Couch to 5k', and log it with the number of calories my treadmill spits out at me.
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Monday morning's run is complete (week 2, day 2). (...with no podcast - will have to try charging it again.)

Someone mentioned how they didn't like to run first thing in the morning, and you know, I think I did prefer the run I did late Saturday morning, after breakfast, water, etc. This morning, it felt like my legs were still stiff from sleep. But, I will have to learn to deal with it for 2 of my 3 runs per week, since it will be much more difficult for me to fit it in to my schedule at any other time.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow C25K-ers! How was everyone's weekend?

Starting W5, D1 today and I am COMPLETELY terrified of Day 3! I know I'm not doing myself any favours, but I just really don't see me being able to run 20 minutes non-stop!!! BAH! Postive thinking needs to kick in!

I played ultimate frisbee for the first time yesterday and my legs are now a bit sore, but I did notice how I was able to run circles around some of the players on the field...I was pretty proud of that and knew it was from the previous weeks of C25K. If it were a month ago, i wouldn't have been able to do it at all so I KNOW there's some good things going on with the program! I just can't help being scaaaared!
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Hello hello all!! I just completed Week7Day1 :) It felt really good!! Much better than last week (even though it was the exact same time). Then, after I was finished, I walked another 10min, did 40 jumping jacks, 11min of dancing, 10min of yoga and finished with 12min of aerobics.. so close to making a full 1.5hrs non stop exercise (that's one of my weekly challenges with another group, sooo close!! But the other is to do 25jumping jacks a day, so I got that one!)

Anyway, hope you all have a great week!! I will see you all briefly Friday once I complete the week, then I'm headed to the Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend.

Bru
  • emannion
    emannion Posts: 4
    Options
    I finished it a month ago and I loved it! Push yourself to do every routine, if you do everything the podcast says, you will get through it! I was amazed that I could accomplish it all!
  • kelly_a
    Options
    Finally, C25K is back in my life!! I went ahead with W6D1. Just wanted to see how hard it would be for me since I was off last week, and so I challenged myself. Well, it went very slow, but I got it done! need to keep with my walk/jogs on off days to help with momentum. Keep up the great work folks, you're doing great!
  • neenaof4
    neenaof4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started this program in January 2010. I have never really been a runner since I was a kid. But, so far this year I have ran in 3 5K's and a 4-mile Race. I absolutely love it. I don't finish anywhere near the top but that is my goal for next year (to metal in at least one race). I am now training for a 10K in September. After that a half marathon sometime late next spring. Who knows - maybe a full marathon after that???
  • birminghamhokie
    Options
    Hi all! I am fairly new to MFP, but love it so far. I saw this thread and just had to post. I started the C25K program 4 weeks ago. It has worked miracles for me. However, I'm having issues with severe shin splints. Can anyone make a suggestion as to how to work through these? Is it a matter of new/different stretching techniques? More days off between sessions? If this question has been answered previously in this thread, I'm sorry. I didn't have time to read every post.

As for doing the C25K program, I do it entirely on a treadmill. (I'm in the deep south, so outside is just not happening.) I downloaded the C25K app for my iPod Touch, I had to pay a couple of bucks for it, but it was so worth it. A wonderful app and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. And, as for adding it to MFP, I just make a new exercise and plug in my treadmill values.

Thanks, I appreciate any advice and support!!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

I guess you could consider me a C25K graduate. A friend and I started in February, and we definitely took a lot longer than 8 weeks. We decided to repeat a few weeks to make sure we were ready to move on to the next week. We had actually planned for and registered for a 5k race that was 12-13 weeks away from our start date, and we were still in the middle of week 5 when we got to it. I was able to run 30 of my 38 minutes of that race, and it felt good! Our second 5k came after we finished the program and I was able to knock 2 minutes off my time! Our third race was this past weekend, and another 2 minutes, gone! We have another one this Sunday, and I don't think that there will be a 2 minute difference this time, but I'll just push to come in a second better!

This program really does work. I sometimes think back to when I started and I can't believe that running 1 minute was so hard! You really do come a long way, and it's a great feeling to cross that finish line at a 5k race!

Good luck to you all out there!

Athina :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    birminghamhokie, you mentioned shin splints and I think you should search the threads for "Chi of Running" I didn't buy the books but I watched a couple of youtube videos and it really made sense to me. When you run, you want to land on the middle of your foot, right under your hip. A lot of injury is a result of landing on your heel and rolling onto your tow, this creates a lof of impact on the joints. I am not an expert but I try to put it into practice and I have had no running pain. I am in week 6 and I have to say I don't strretch before or after. Someone told me stretching before can lead to injury. I don't know if that is true at all, but trust me on the chi of running, it can't hurt to try it, it's totally free. If you can't find the info let me know, I can try and find em, they might be on my favorites at home.
  • kelly_a
    Options
    re the shin splints...I have only had them a few times in the past ( many, many yrs ago ) and it was from walking incorrectly. also, I do not stretch prior either...just the 5 min brisk walk, and 5 min post C25K. if I stretch it is after a workout...when muscles are warm and more pliable. when I do this, I don't have the horrible pain that can occur when first starting any exercise program. I am no expert as well, but I have read that stretching when muscles are cold is what can cause injury and pain. Everyone is different, so what might work for one, may not another. You know your body better than anyone.
  • birminghamhokie
    Options
    Thanks, asjerven and kelly_a! I will look up the info and try to fix my foot placement. It certainly can't hurt to try!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 of Week 6 today. I think it was easier than jogging for 20 mins straight. Not easy, but I managed it better than day 3 week 5.