Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I like the podcasts if I am running by myself but lately I've had company so I appreciate that too.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I searched C25k on my droid apps and found C25k lite for free, it really helps me, it just times everything out including a 5min warmup and cool down, when it's time to change, it dings. I can run this app and play music at the same time which I love and when it dings it stops the music long enough for me to hear it and continues on. So much easier than a stopwatch as I was always looking at it, which made my running seem so much longer.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I did day 3 of week 3, listened to the podcast. Went ok, but I am a little hung over...
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Week5 Day2 complete!!!!! I was a little worried about it, but I pushed through and wasn't nearly as winded as I thought I'd be! I thought yesterday was Monday so I did W5D1 then, and I figured I'd attempt day2 today, and if I couldn't finished, I would just switch to day 1, but I made it!! Not sure how I'll be with day3...20min jog straight, I may have to repeat today on Wed and try on Fri for Day3. Hope everyone is doing good. I don't see many of the original people posting very much, but glad to see lots of new faces!!! Take care all!! Bru
  • amysj303
    Options
    I'm going to try day 1 of week 4 today. It might be really hot outside...
  • amysj303
    Options
    oh, and great job, BrunetteWife! WTG!
  • amysj303
    Options
    First day of week 4 and my goodness, that was a lot of running! I seriously think that was a big step up. I always take a route around the lake and before I didn't even get halfway around, today, I got almost all the way around by the end of the podcast! but I did it, that's the important thing.
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Thanks asjerven!! :flowerforyou: And wtg on week4! Yes there's a lot more running, I was nervous about it, until I saw week5...:noway:

And keep it up to everyone that's keeping at this plan and for those interested, IT WORKS!! :smile:

Well, this week is week5 of C25k, and I for some reason thought Sun was Mon so I did day one on Sunday:indifferent: , which wasn't too bad!! I told myself yesterday to try day 2 and worst case senario, I could just stop and do day 1 again. Got through it no prob!! :glasses: Woot Woot!! Then this morning I had planned on doing just a regular walk like I would in my evenings, I started thinking about this coming weekend and how I'll be pretty busy Thursday through Sunday and tomorrow is my swimming day with a friend so today was really the only day I had time in the cool morning to do my c25k. So, I headed out, I set my music :glasses: and my droid app C25klite to W5D3, which includes a 5min warmup a 20 min JOG:sick: and 5mincool down. Oy! What was I getting myself into?!?! Again, figuring I wouldn't make it past 8min, I would just do day1. Well....I DID IT!!:drinker: I did the H3LL out of it!!:laugh: LOL!! I ran for 1.27miles straight, no walking!!!:noway: Wowza!
    Hope you all are having a great day and a healthy week! Can't believe July is almost here! XoxoxoX Bru :flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    Options
    that's awesome, BrunetteWife. Here's a question-what kind of shoes does everyone like for running? I have Nike's. They are comfortable and lightweight but I saw on the chi running stuff that they aren't great for form.
    I can't decide if I should do Day 2 today or just wait til tomorrow. I have friends with dogs coming over to walk around the lake and I can run first, but maybe I will just get in two days of exercise instead of just one, and do day 2 tomorrow and Day 3 on Saturday.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. I started this once before and got discouraged and stopped so this time I'm going to do every week twice. It might take me longer this way but I think I have a better chance of sticking with it. So I'm on my Second week of week 1and it is going really really well. I have never been a runner but I would really like to do a 5k.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Welcome Emily! I'd like to experience the so-called runner's high;)
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Welcome!! Sounds like you have a good plan!! Good luck on your journey!!

As for shoes, I currently have just a Kmart brand tennis shoe, which doesn't hurt my feet, even after these 5weeks of C25K. I've had them since April and they haven't hurt me yet. Eventually I want a 'good' pair of shoes, but with little to no funds certain weeks, it's hard to.
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Before or after your workouts, consider jumping up and down for a few minutes. The activity may improve your performance, according to a study done at the University of Texas at Tyler.
    After six weeks, the runners who did the plyometrics improved their running economy (the amount of oxygen you use when you run) by 4 percent. That means they used less oxygen to run the same speed, making running feel easier. That's good news, because even a small improvement in running economy can mean big improvements in running performance.
    Here are three of the exercises the runners did. Before you do any of them, warm up by jumping lightly up and down 10 times with your feet close to the ground. After doing these exercises, your legs may be a little sore at first. That's fine. It means the exercises are working.

1. Bend your knees as much as you need to and then immediately jump as high as you can five to 15 times, taking a short break between jumps.
    2. Bend one leg as much as possible, then jump as high as you can off of that leg. Land on both feet. Do this five to 10 times on each side, taking a short break after each jump.
    3. Jump in a spring-like fashion about 6 to 8 inches off the ground 15 to 30 times without taking a break between jumps.

Via http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Plyometric_exercises_can_help_improve_your_running_economy.htm?cmp=11-4133&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    hey all....I was posting on another C25K thread....but no one has visited lately. I started C25K May 28, and am on W5D2. so, far it has been ok. I am doing this indoors on my treadmill. I really look forward to my jogging session and can't believe how sweaty I am during and after!! :noway: What a great workout! On my off days I do a walk/jog and that has really helped me keep with the momentum. Another thing I have been tracking with this is my b/p and resting heart rate. Both have dropped!! My pulse averages 54-60....and my b/p 112/70. I think my heart and lungs love this!! I want to do a 5K this fall, so right now I just want to finish C25K, then I'll work on distance and time later. I think it is a wonderful program!! Keep at it! Yay for us!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    yeah, you are a week ahead of me, kelly_a!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Am new to this thread and thought I need to do this! I brisk walk like 4-6km each day. But I would really like to run.
    Will try to start it from tomorrow.

How do you guys keep track of the minutes, I think I will be looking at my watch all the time instead of watching the road! Lol!

BTW has anyone tried the iPhone app, I wanted to get someone's opinion before buying it.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Welcome anu_6986! I time the whole workout and divide it by the distance (I mapped my route) for instance, my route is 2.8 miles and it took me 35 minutes, so that was 5 miles per hour. I just enter 35 minutes of walking at 5.0 mph. Or you can estimate the speed and say, 20 minutes of walking and 10 minutes of jogging (whatever was your breakdown for the day).
    I have the podrunner podcasts, DJ beatsmith. It is just a beat with a tone that tells you when to switch walk/jog. It is ok, and free, but I would prefer to have something here, mentioned by another post, that works with your own music and just interrupts with a signal to switch.
    When my iphone died, or when I walked with someone else, I just set my phone timer for each stretch.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome anu_6986! I time the whole workout and divide it by the distance (I mapped my route) for instance, my route is 2.8 miles and it took me 35 minutes, so that was 5 miles per hour. I just enter 35 minutes of walking at 5.0 mph. Or you can estimate the speed and say, 20 minutes of walking and 10 minutes of jogging (whatever was your breakdown for the day).
    I have the podrunner podcasts, DJ beatsmith. It is just a beat with a tone that tells you when to switch walk/jog. It is ok, and free, but I would prefer to have something here, mentioned by another post, that works with your own music and just interrupts with a signal to switch.
    When my iphone died, or when I walked with someone else, I just set my phone timer for each stretch.

Thanks Asjerven, I think I will get the iPhone app. Thanks for the info. :happy:

-Anu
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Whew! just finished W5D2!! did ok, and it actually went kinda fast. need to cool off now!
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Great job to all!! Keep it up!! I start week6 Monday. Have a wonderful and safe weekend all!