Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hey guys, i just found this blog, so i thought i'd join in. i started a c25k program a couple of weeks ago. I just completed my week 3 day 1 workout. it's definately challenging, but i am starting S-L-O-W. I am doing it on the treadmill, and only running at a speek of 4.5mph to begin with. i know its slow, but i figure that i have to start somewhere, so for now i will work on endurance, and then when i can actually jog for the full 30 minutes, i'll work on speed.

I downloaded an app from itunes called c25k awhile ago to help me do this. It's very nice, bc i can listen to my own music while i work out, and it will dim the music down and beep a high pitched tone to let me know when to start jogging and a low pitched tone to let me know to start walking again. That way i do not have to continuously stare at the timer on my treadmill. That got very boring for me.

hopefully we can all motivate each other to continue thru our programs!!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I was shocked, but I completed Week3Day1 and I was so nervous about it. I wasn't nearly as winded as I thought I'd be! Woot Woot!! Hope everyone else is doing great!
  • june78
    june78 Posts: 2
    Options
    I completed Week 1 Day 1 this morning at 5:00 am. I was worried that it would be hard to do but I actually found it to feel really great. I dont own running shoes and my shins started hurting but other than that I felt great. I cant wait until day #2 on Wednesday. I have never been a runner but I really looking forward to seeing how well this program works.
  • christied954
    Options
    I completed Week 5 Day 3 last night and ran 20 minutes straight without walking!!!! I was nervous about that day, but I surprised myself and made it through! I love Couch to 5K!!!
  • june78
    june78 Posts: 2
    Options
    Finished Week 1 Day 3 this morning. It seemed harder than the first day. I am really looking forward to Week 2 Day 1 on Monday but also very nervous. I really need to get some good shoes I think. I really enjoy getting out and running in the mornings when it is cooler out.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    Just finished week 6 day 1 this morning. For some reason, I had a harder time finishing today than I did week 5 day 3 where I had to run for 20 mins straight. I don't get it...
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Well, I have completed all of week 3 and start up week 4 Monday :) Hope everyone has a safe and healthy weekend. XoxoxoX Bru
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    I start week4 of the C25k tomorrow. On one of my walks yesterday, just for the heck of it, I decided to jog down one of my neighborhood streets, I figured 3min at the most (since that was week3's biggest amount) and I made it to the end of the street and back and a little around the corner for a total distance of .41 of a mile and a total time of 5min 40sec!! Woot Woot!! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Enjoy your evening everyone :D
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to go for my W2D1 in a half an hour! Really nervous/scared considering I felt I had a REALLY hard time with week one! I keep trying to tell myself, what's another 30 seconds of running when you're already doing 60 s...

I noticed that running with someone is a heck of a lot easier than trying to go it on your own, though...
  • neuroticwriter
    Options
    I'm starting it this week!!! I'm really excited. Many of my friends (out of state) have talked about it and I have decided to give it a try. Unfortunately I would love a buddy to go with me, but I don't think any of my friends that live near by will want to get up at 5:30am and go running with me.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I started c25k two years ago this October. It was a pain in the butt and I only ever got to week 7... that's because I ran the 25min I was supposed to mid-week and just kept running. It was the most thrilling thing! Wound up running 8k that day (I was SO sore the next morning) and I have been running ever since. Did two half marathons last year and one this year and am scheduled for my first ever full marathon in 3 weeks... that's over 42k!

Just hang in there... you will cross over that threshold and you will find that runner's high.

As a side-note, I am running my first ever 5k race a week after the marathon :D:flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 2nd week of couch to 5k, ready to start week 3 today. I wanted to post on this thread for encouragement and inspiration, thanks!
  • oohnee1
    oohnee1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Just did my first day of the couch to 5k today. So far so good..lol although I know this is the easiest of it!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I did day 1 of week 3 and it went alright, I walk for about 15 minutes afterwards, though, because I take a course around the lake near my house and when I get done I am only about halfway around so I have to keep going!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of week 3 today and I also do a bit of an extra walk afterwards....I found this week easier than week 2 for some reason?
  • NichiM
    NichiM Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep up the good work peeps! I was not even close to a runner and did the C25K program. Completed a 5k in 8 weeks without walking! I recommend Robert Ulrey's Podcasts...

Sadly I quit running after that but would like to start again. Good luck and keep pushing!
  • chicagomom
    chicagomom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this as well. Week 1 Day 2.

BTW, how do you record this in your exercise log?
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people! So many faces!!!

chicagomom, I divided up how many minutes of walking and jogging than went into exercise database to see how many calories each burned than added the 5min brisk walking/warm up to the rest. I went in and added my own exercise for each week, if that makes sense, there may be an easier way, but that's how I plan on logging it. I'm coming up to the weeks where it starts going to a different routine one day a week, so I will make a new exercise up for those days as needed.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I mapped the route and divided miles by hour to get my rate. In my case it took me 45 minutes to walk/jog 2.8 miles which was 3.7 miles per hour.
  • chicagomom
    chicagomom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'm trying the Podcasts for Running Couch to 5K music this morning; I'm finding music is really important to my workouts.