Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this! I think the downloads will make it so much easier! Runners body here i come! lol
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Finished W9D2 last night! I can't believe I'm one half-hour run away from completing the program!!! WOOHOO!!

Wanna know something slightly geeky? I made myself a certificate of completion for when I finish it! *LOL* It has two signatures for me to sign tomorrow when I finish the final run and another line for my friend who finished the program with me to sign! She acted like she was too cool for a certificate, but when I asked, "you want one, don't you?" she said she did! *LOL*

I'm still not actually running at a full 5K yet, but at least I've got the timing down so far. My plan is to keep going until I can hit 45 minutes of running and hopefully BY THEN, I'll have the distance part down as well!!!

Congrats everyone on all your hard work, wherever you are in the program!!!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am over my drama of the crossroads. I was scheduled for an early morning run on Wednesday but slept in instead(started down the wrong road), but then at lunch, I went to the gym and completed a Week 4 workout (the much better path, right?!). I amused myself by 'reading' the Dr. Oz show (I didn't have headphones, so I read the closed captions), so the runs went by a little faster. If I follow SS's lead, and have to 'complete' the workout for it to count, then I've just done Week 4, Day 1, since I missed 2 minutes of running on my first Week 4 attempt. I'm due for another run Saturday which will be Day 2.

gmchevere was right: Week 3 to Week 4 is a decent jump in running minutes, from 9 minutes total to 16 minutes total. No wonder some of us are struggling.

Earin, let me know when you move to Week 5, I think you'll be ok. Day 1 is all 5 minute runs, but there are only 3 of them, so really you're running 1 less minute than Week 4. However Day 2 moves on to include 8 minute runs, not that I'm trying to scare you... just wanted you to know that week 5 is the first week where the days within the week are different.

More adoration from me to the graduates... jr, bru, kelly... I worship you all! :drinker: Remember how great this program made you feel and keep running as a part of your life. I made the mistake of letting it go after 'graduating' 6 or 7 years ago (well, birthing two children also got in the way...) :wink:

And SillySkittles, I secretly worship you too, but I'll wait until you finish that last run to make it official... :laugh: You are too cute with your graduation certificates! Will you send me one when I graduate? pretty please? :flowerforyou:

asjerven, looks like you will be next in line on my worship-list... :happy:

Welcome to those joining us! :smile:

JulieSue, you're already on your way! Great job powering through Wed's run! I'm sure Friday's run will be easier!

Rachel, be sure to let us know how your first run goes!

Becky, hope you're feeling better soon, so that you can join our running team. I'll re-iterate the advice shared throughout this thread: don't do more than the program asks you to even if you feel you can, get your proper warmup and cooldown, run only the recommended 3 days per week with a day of rest between runs. You can cross-train on your off days - try weight training or some yoga or pilates to build your core strength and get a good stretch (or other cardio is always an option as well - walking, biking, classes, etc). Wear good running shoes, and stretch after your runs, especially your calves, to avoid the dreaded shin splints. Drink lots of water and eat healthy foods to power you up!

luvhim, you're in good company! There are at least 3 of us who are hovering around week 4 at the moment! Let me know how you do with Week 5 so I know what to expect!

Have a FANTASTIC day!
    DMG
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    I didn't look at it like that DMG. I could probably do 3 5 minute jogs, but don't think I'm ready for 8 minutes yet. I will try it tomorrow morning. Think I am going to head to the gym in a little bit and do the elliptical.
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    wow DMG you are my hero!!! soo motivating and speaking to us all...I loves it and it was a nice read!!! :))

I am doing Week 1 Day 3 tmw!! and my HRT came in today sooo I am excited to see the differences between what I have been logging to what it really is!!!

Happy Running everyone!!!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just a little update from me.

Since graduating I've been trying to pick up my pace a bit while sticking to three 30 minute runs a week.

Yesterday I covered 3.8 miles in the alloted 30 minutes. I also managed my fastest mile time yet at 8 minutes 50 seoconds. Two new records for me.

Keep running! You can do it!
  • wmchick81
    Options
    DMG- Because of your pep talk, I attempted (and completed) W5D1. I will probably repeat it again because I can't wrap my brain around running for 8 minutes straight. I just get so bored during my runs. I read my magazine on the walk portions. For my 5 minute runs, I'd start out at 5.5mph and work up to 6.5.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    just wanted to check in and see how ya all are doing! keep at it you guys....do what you can do....and just go at your pace. Look how far you have come since Day 1!! SUPER JOB!!
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    I went to the gym yesterday with the girls (the girls meaning my little ones - there is daycare available on Sat mornings). I did the BodyFLOW class, then my Couch to 5k workout. I finished Week 4, Day 2. It almost felt like I could maybe have run a bit longer?? One more Week 4 workout then on to Week 5.

JulieSue, how was Week 1, Day 3? Do you like your HRT? (thanks for your kind words... I don't always have time to write to everyone individually, but I like to - having you guys here is what motivates me to do my runs. I want to be able to come back and tell you guys "I did it")

jr, holy crap! that's great! I only ever ran 12 minute miles, so sub-9 seems god-like to me! I like that you and kelly are checking in on us! Thanks to both of you for your encouraging words. :flowerforyou:

Earin - yay! I'm so glad that you tried Week 5! I knew you could do it! Let me know how the 8 minute run goes on Day 2. I know you can do that one too... Get some good music to help you along! When you start getting bored, play one of your favorites, and promise yourself to keep running 'til the end of the song. I'm still doing the slow but steady thing. Try staying at 5.5 if you think 8 minutes seems too long.
  • wmchick81
    Options
    I attempted and almost completed Week 5 Day 2 today. I did pause in the middle of both 8 minutes runs for about 5 seconds to get some water. 8 mins seems like so MUCH longer than 5 minutes!!! I think I am going to have take a few days off. I have to go have a bone marrow biopsy/aspiration tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to it, and the doctor said I may be sore for a few days. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

DMG- thanks for all the encouragement! That was the reason I tried week 5 instead of repeating all of week 4.
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Earin, yay! congrats on completing Week 5 Day 2!! I am certainly not going to hold a 5 second water break against you, and you shouldn't hold it against yourself, either!! I hope your bone marrow test is ok (let us know!) - maybe stick to gentler exercises for a few days, like walking or swimming. Then depending on how you're feeling you can always start Week 5 over again, or back up to Week 4.

I dragged myself out of bed this morning to do Week 4 Day 3. By an honest to goodness 'oops', I walked 3 minutes for my middle walk interval instead of 2.5min; but I still completed all my running minutes, so I am counting this as a successful completion. So my next run is starting Week 5!!

I have to admit that I am starting to really dislike these early am runs. (That is my attempt at being polite, when I really wanted to say: "OH MY GOD! I HATE GETTING UP EARLY TO RUN!!" especially on Monday mornings!) My body responds much better later in the day (or at least it doesn't seem as hard). And I am not a morning person, so I hate getting out of bed for anything, most of all, running! Mind you, a few hours later, like right now, I am sooo happy that it's done. Ok, I'll try to stop complaining, and focus on the positive.
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Not sure if any of you saw this link from the Couch to 5k website...
    It's an article entitled "Yoga for Runners: 3 Poses You Should Practice".
    I may give them a try!

http://www.active.com/mindandbody/articles/Yoga-for-Runners--3-Poses-You-Should-Practice.htm?cmp=18-223&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed
  • JulieSue
    Options
    HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!!!

DMG!!! I loved my HRM and it did show that I burned more calories than this website says so that was nice to know!!! I did my W1D3 run on Friday and completed it (but gosh it was hot..idk why I wait til the middle of the day to do my runs ugh) but I was going to start Week 2 on Sunday but I didnt do that sooooooo my goal is to do it today but I have dinner plans so I hope I can get it in before dark but if not then Tuesday for sure!!!! I am excited to keep on moving!!! :0) Yes I understand what you mean by motivation!!! I appreciate it!!!

AND I know I started this race way after most of you did but I love hearing your encouraging words!!! soo please dont stop or give up on me!!! :))
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I started the c25k program this morning. I did w1d1 successfully. It was not too hard even though I'm 56, overweight, and out of shape. Of course my "jogging" was probably barely faster than my walking, lol! But it was outside and a hilly 2 mile loop so I got some extra walking in.

I'm pretty proud of myself for making myself actually do it! I could have procrastinated because I don't own a watch (had to carry my cell phone), and I never got my itunes DJ Whoever thingy working, so no music or cues.

I plan to run M-W-F.

Wish me luck. it is fun reading about your progress here on this thread.

Shari.
  • rachel5576
    Options
    I did week 1 day1 today! It wasnt too bad but harder than i thought because i'm already sore from doing tae bo the last three days and completely forgot to stretch or do yoga. I really love the phone app and love how it highlights the day when youre done. yay!

dmgaloha
    thanks for the article
  • rachel5576
    Options
    btw Great job on day one Shari!! we can do this woot woot!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 Week 8! After three weeks of week 7. It felt good, I really think I made a breakthrough. I had to talk myself through the last 3 minutes of the 28 minutes but I wasn't going to die, pass out or throw up. I felt a little dizzy when I started walking but it felt good.
    Also, the last two runs have been first thing in the morning, so I might have to stick with that.
    I can't believe I might be that person who gets up and goes running before work!
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    JulieSue... Great work on completing Week 1!! How was your dinner last night? Did you manage to squeeze in your first Week 2 workout, or is it scheduled for later today?! No slacking - get to it! :bigsmile:

Yay! Two new recruits. Shari / Rachel, great job on your first C25k workout! Looking forward to hearing how Day 2 goes!

Shari, I'll be running with you on M-W, but I usually run Saturdays instead of Friday. I am a slow 'runner' also, so I think you're just fine! Rachel, are you planning to run tomorrow as well? We can have a 'threesome'! :laugh:

asjerven - Cheers to you! :drinker: Week 8! That's amazing! Graduation day is just around the corner for you... :drinker: I'm currently trying to run 2 mornings before work, mostly because I can't seem to fit it in anywhere else in my schedule... I'm glad it's working well for you! Keep us updated with your progress so we can celebrate graduation with you! +
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Hey all :)

I decided to take an extra week off.. so today I started up w5d2, for the running portion, I managed 1.54miles and in total I went 2.23miles, I'm slowly working on speed. I have a 2mile walk/run this Saturday and I can't wait :)

Hope you all are well. For those just starting or considering starting DO IT AND STICK WITH IT! It's so worth it to be able to run 30min straight, especially when you could barely run 60sec!! I graduated a couple of weeks ago and it was such a great accomplishment. Now I'm just working on speed :) Best wishes!!

Bru
  • JulieSue
    Options
    soo I began week 2 yesterday evening....and it felt good!!! I am not sure if I will ever build it up but I am def most def going to try my best!!! i will do Week 2 Day 2 on Wednesday!!!! :0) YAY!!!!

Brunette Wife!!!! Thanks for the encouraging words!!! I most def need it!!! :))

DMG :)) love how you keep up with us all...its very encouraging!!! what week are you on now??? and dinner was soo good....I dont think I ruined my diet becuz I did good the rest of the day!!! Thanks for asking....

asjerven!! congrats on moving on!!! and YAY you did it!!! :)) and I am glad it felt good!!! :))

and welcome all newbies!!! I am still new too soo we are all in this together for sure!!!! :))