Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    Just started C25K today, did w1d1 on the treadmill. (don't think i'd feel comfortable doing it outside), besides to have a watch to track the timing. Plan on doing w1d2 tomorrow so I can get the workouts in on M - W - F.
    Thanks for this thread, will have to check in to keep myself motivated.

Carleen
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I did Day 1 Week 8! After three weeks of week 7. It felt good, I really think I made a breakthrough. I had to talk myself through the last 3 minutes of the 28 minutes but I wasn't going to die, pass out or throw up. I felt a little dizzy when I started walking but it felt good.
    Also, the last two runs have been first thing in the morning, so I might have to stick with that.
    I can't believe I might be that person who gets up and goes running before work!

YAAAAY! That's so awesome, congrats on W8! One more week and you're a fellow graduate!!! I take it for granted that people at the gym have their earphones on so I tend to talk to myself and cheer myself on during the last few minutes when it gets really tough. After W9D3, I actually threw my hands up in the air and cheered when I finished. Everyone looked at me funny, but I couldn't honestly say I wasn't bothered! Hopefully they weren't bothered by me, I was making a mini-breakthrough!!! *LOL* *HIGH FIVE* I'll join you in the running before work!

To everyone else just starting, I'm seeing some new Week One-ers! Congratulations on starting the program and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and as much as the graduates I'm running across seem to!!! There may be times where it feels hard, but I SWEAR it feels SO AWESOME when you're on the other side of that difficult moment looking back and laughing to yourself that it ever felt hard at one time!

Everyone else well into their weeks, KEEP IT UP!!! I swear I don't mean to sound like an afterschool special but finishing has turned me into the biggest sap! *LOL* If I don't watch myself, I might get in over my head and sign up for a triathlon or something, but honestly, getting it done kind of makes you feel like you can do anything! *LOL*

DMG, you've been doing aaaaawesome!! Keep it up! LOL...morning runs are just that little bit more of a challenge though, huh? I feel like I should get a medal just for getting out of bed sometimes! BWAHAHAHA!

I've noticed that, since finishing the program, it's a bit harder for me to get going on running now that I don't have any little boxes to check mark or put little stickers beside! LOL...so I just made a new chart with blank spaces to fill in my time, distance and calories and a little empty space to fill in my CHECK MARK and it seems to be working for me again!

I just got in from a run and I think those endorphins or that "runner's high" is kicking in because I feel all jittery and hyped up!

AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS to ALL OF YOU!!! Just deciding to start the program is an AWESOME first step to a fullfilling goal! Keep it up! All of us here will be SOOO happy for you and proud of you and best of all, you'll be proud of you too!!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your positive remarks! and Sillyskittels, are you going to train for a half-marathon now? I saw a plan that sort of picks up where C25K leaves off. Congrats on sticking with it, let us know if you're finding it easier and if your time and distance is improving-and if you run a 5k!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I restarted the C25K program this morning at W1D1 to work on my speed.

For the running portions I ran as fast as I could and dropped to a slow jog for the walking portions. All I can say is it's one hell of a workout and one minute doesn't seem to be any time at all compared to the first time through. :wink:

For those of working your way toward graduating, Keep at it! It only gets easier!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    After seriously considering snoozing for an extra half hour this morning instead of running, I did drag myself out of bed and go for it! I completed Week 5 Day 1. These days, I am more happy about just having it DONE. Hopefully someday, I will enjoy running, and find that runner's high, but for now that part all sounds like crap to me! The only thing keeping me going short-term is you guys because I hate the thought of coming to post to say I slacked off and skipped a day, and I love the thought of coming to post to say I did it! Then of course, there's the long-term benefit that I know I am doing something good for myself, and it will help me get fit and lose weight... but that is not immediate enough, so it is easy to think 'yeah, yeah, whatever', so I am grateful for my MFP friends!

Bru - glad to have you drop in! I think you're the only cross-over buddy I have on both my regular threads (5 lb challenge and C25k). Tell me more about the 2 mile walk on Saturday - is it a fundraiser? Funny how you randomly picked W5D2 to run - that is my next workout! Thanks for paving the way. Two 8 minute runs sound CRAZY to me right now, after having just done three 5 minute runs. I will definitely need to find and charge up my own MP3 player. I tried using my hubby's iPod today, and let me tell you, that Nickelback / Theory of a Deadman / etc genre just doesn't cut it for me for running. I compromised on the Cult and April Wine, then managed to track down a Lady Gaga song for my last interval. (Surely, he only has that on his iPod for me? :laugh: )

JulieSue, yay! cruising right along into Week 2! Trust me when I tell you that you may want to quit soon - it may not even be conscious, just all of a sudden, you'll realize that you missed like a week of workouts... So the reason I am telling you this, is so you won't fall prey to this sneaky trap of your body/mind. Think of my warning, and keep going. It hit me at the end of week 2, and again during the transition from week 3 to week 4... So on that day, when you don't want to do the run for yourself, do it for us! :bigsmile:

Carleen - great decision to start C25k! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Well, ok, we don't always enjoy it, but we at least enjoy complaining about it!

SillySkittles - love your posts - they always make me laugh! I can totally picture you cheering for yourself at the gym. :laugh:
    I'm glad you found a way to keep yourself motivated to keep running! Gotta love those checkmarks! Whatever works, huh?

asjerven - let us know how the last 3 minutes of your 28 run feels on D2... Was it any easier?

jr - great idea with the re-do for speed! How fast is your current 5k, so you can track your progress?
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Here's the link for my walk this Saturday: http://nationalmssociety.org/chapters/walk-ms-gateway/index.aspx
    My friend, Molly, walks every year and sees me walking all over town and in our neighborhood so she asked if I wanted to go with. The 3rd (I think) weekend in Sept is a 5k run or walk at a local college, still trying to get info on it, but I'm heavily considering running it, as long as I have the funds for the registeration. I have nothing planned after that until next May or June for the St Louis Race for the Cure with my MIL (who said she'll run it with me) and my friend Kelly, her hubby, daughter, and Kellys mom, Becky ( a long time Cancer fighter and survivor and great friend of my parents) who walk it every year. Anyway, enough rambling for me, I gotta get out there and run today.. thinking of doing w5d3, might stay with day 2...I planned on completely restarting it, but knowing the one 5k is less than 9weeks away, I'm starting in the middle-ish.

Have a wonderful day all!!! XoxoxoX Bru
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    I am headed out RIGHT NOW for W1D2! Carleen and Rachel, my fellow newbies, I'm counting on your to run today! Report back when you do. I will too.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I found more info on the 5k next month, for anyone near me.. http://www.active.com/running/lebanon-il/mckendree-harvest-challenge-half-marathon-and-5k-2010

Also, check out http://www.runningintheusa.com for anything going on near you!
  • shari253
    Options
    I finished W1D2! Yay! I got the DJ Beatsmith working on my ipod. It was very relaxing having him tell me when to run or walk. It let my mind wander. I will say though, that his pace was faster than what I was used to, so the workout was harder. A few times I walked slower than the beat. I got a very good workout - lots of nice deep breathing, turned reddish, and sweated. Came home and did 10 sets of various sit ups, then stretched. I'm a bit proud of myself.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I did not get up early today. I had to wait for the painters, who didn't show up, but I will run tonight, hopefully it isn't too hot! Welcome newbies. It is so fun to see your posts and remind myself how far I have come. The first jog without break was such a hard thing! you don't realiza how much you look forward to those little walking breaks!
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well......I'm into week 5 as of today!! It went better than I had figured. Those five minute runs weren't that hard at all....but you all must know that before I started this program I had been running a mile straight for about 2 weeks. So my endurance was already at that level. Still, I am enjoying this program immensely.....running makes me feel so good!!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    well I got up this am to find rain!!!!!!!!!! boo soo I had to wait until after noon to run BUT luckily the rain had cooled it down soo I completed Week 2 Run 2!!! I didnt feel as good during this run BUT I completed it!!! sooo Friday I will do Run 3......then moving on to some 3 minute walks!!! ugh not sure how that will be but I am def going to try my best!!!!

Thanks for all the support BRU!!!

and congrats to Skittles (I think) who finsihed the program!!! YAY for the congrats for yourself!!! I would totally do that too!!!

oh wow I look up to those of you who are running 5, 8, 10 and 25 and so on minutes!!!

I hope one day I can move up and then start it again for speed!!! hopefully that day will come!!! :))

Thanks everyone!!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    week8day2 done! It was hard! I was tired at 10 minutes but I talked myself through it. I thought I was going so slow and couldn't catch my breathe but I just kept at it. I even poured water on my head, I was so hot-which I couldn't do if I was on the treadmill, haha... Weird thing, I always jog the same path from my house around this lake but today 28 minutes of jogging took me farther than it did Monday when I thought I was running faster on Monday.
    And that brings me to a question for those of you who run outside, I noticed that the folks I call "the real runners" don't carry water. I carry water, what about the rest of you? Today I needed it, some days I drink it only on the cool down but if I forget it I am stopping at every fountain, so what gives?
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well shari and anyone else who is interested i finally made it through week 1 day 2!!! I was out of town most of the day so had to wait. I would not however recommend drinking two glasses right before you run lol nope makes for a very slow start. In the end i was very proud of myself for finishing..havent been feeling great but kept on truckin and feel better for it.

Great job everybody!!!
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    Still not able to get back into the program due to the bone marrow biopsy and aspiration. No fun! My appt was Monday, and I still am unable to walk comfortably. Not sure when I'll be able to get back into it. Might have to back up a day to Week 5 Day 1.
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    Got through w1d2, it was a little more difficult then the first day. I made it though. How do you count the calories burned doing this or log it into the exercise log?
  • shari253
    Options
    Carleen, congrats! How did it feel?

For me, Week 1 takes about a half an hour with the warm up, the program, and finishing the walk back home. So I log it as 10 mins jogging slowly (5 mph or 12 min mile), and 20 mins of walking briskly (3.5 mph) because I do try to walk briskly during the walking.

Rachel, congrats! We are doing it!

Keep it up Buddies! Are you guys going to do W1D3 Saturday?
  • shari253
    Options
    Asjerven, I do not carry water when I run. When I used to run more back in my younger days I did not carry water then either. My strategy is to drink a glass of water 1/2 hr before running (on the advice of a running friend who says that if you drink it right before you run you are already behind). Then after my run I fill my big quart mug with water and ice and sip it as I go about my business. My feeling is that unless it is extremely hot, the body can go an hour or so without water when exercising, and it is cumbersome to carry the water along. Some people do use a "camel-back" water pouch packpack with drinking tube on longer runs though.

Shari.