Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options
I've been eating one whole egg in the morning but I'm thinking of changing to one egg white because of the calories. I think I've read/heard somewhere that there is a lot of nutrition in the yolk though. Any reason I should keep the yolk?

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the egg for health reasons, there's no reason to drop the yolk. It's the best part. I'm fine with egg whites for certain types of cooking, but since we're talking about one egg per day, I don't see an issue with just eating the entire thing.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You could certainly keep the whole egg if it's fitting in with your calories. If one egg isn't doing it for you though, you could take that whole egg and add as many egg whites as you wanted. More filling, but fewer calories and still better tasting than just egg whites (in my opinion)
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I could never throw an egg yolk away. It's sacrilege!
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I would feel so wasteful throwing the yolk away, I've paid for those eggs! Plus. it tastes so good.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Keep the yolk! One wont kill you. I mean if you were eating four a day, i'd say split it up 2 parts yolk, four parts white to avoid too many calories but one egg a day is definitely not an issue!
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (mostly hereditary), and I don't like egg yolk, so I don't eat them. I eat 3 whites instead of 1 whole egg. 3 jumbo whites have 54 calories and 14 grams of protein (and no cholesterol). 1 whole jumbo egg has 90 calories, 8 grams of protein and 270 grams/mg? (not sure) of cholesterol.

You have to be okay with spending a lot more on eggs though.....since you throw a lot away....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size, one egg is only about 70 calories. Keep the egg whole.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (mostly hereditary), and I don't like egg yolk, so I don't eat them. I eat 3 whites instead of 1 whole egg. 3 jumbo whites have 54 calories and 14 grams of protein (and no cholesterol). 1 whole jumbo egg has 90 calories, 8 grams of protein and 270 grams/mg? (not sure) of cholesterol.

You have to be okay with spending a lot more on eggs though.....since you throw a lot away....

Cholesterol in eggs is good for you, just FYI. And just buy egg whites in cartons then.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    mmmm.....eggs..... eat the whole thing!!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is enough of a calorie difference to warrant not eating the yolk. If that's why you are considering it, just eat the whole thing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    cos everytime you leave the yolk a fairy dies :(
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I could never throw an egg yolk away. It's sacrilege!

It's delicious and healthy! There is no reason NOT to eat the egg. Plus separating it is a PITA in the morning.
  • markstanley666
    markstanley666 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    if your just having the 1 egg id stick to the whole thing. i remember reading something a while as that said the yolk (i believe the vitamin b in it) makes the protein in the egg more bio available to the body. not to mention it tastes good

i say if your having 1 stick with the whole thing if more maybe have 2 yolks and 1 white

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/whats-the-big-deal-with-egg-yolks-anyway.html is a good article if you have time to read it
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Cholesterol in eggs is good for you, just FYI. And just buy egg whites in cartons then.

I have been told that many times - truth is, I've eaten egg whites so long that I prefer them. A whole egg is just gross to me. I'm not a fan of the carton of egg whites/egg beaters either. It's just a personal preference for me.

I don't mind separating my eggs and throwing away the yolk, but I know a lot of people view that as wasteful; hence, the comment about having to be okay with spending more. I don't mind it, but I know some would...
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of omelettes and use one whole egg and two whites, since I am adding other ingredients as well. When I just make eggs, I stick to the whole thing. As you said, the yolk contains most of the nutrients, so if you cut it out completely you are losing all of that to gain a few calories for the day. I've always felt the trade-off wasn't worth it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    the yolk is the only good part of the egg.

without the yolk, your body can't absorb the egg white protein nearly as well - the two work in synergy together. If you're concerned about calories, cut them elsewhere, since egg yolks are the MOST nutritious thing you'll put in your body all day long.
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    I have to say, the whole "don't waste it, eat it" argument is part of the reason I'm fat! I've found it much harder to reduce the sugar in my coffee, and I'm trying to find a way to reduce my breakfast so I have more to work with in the evening.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 whole XL eggs 4-5 days a week, and have been losing just fine - eggs are good for you!