Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.

Yep - dietary cholesterol and blood serum cholesterol are two very different things.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Can u bring me ur yolk so i can dip every possible thing including my face into it and eat it?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For one egg, to do without the yolk you'd be saving maybe 50 calories. But losing out on a lot of nutrition and taste.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
    Yes they do.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

Yes they do.

facepalm
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (mostly hereditary), and I don't like egg yolk, so I don't eat them. I eat 3 whites instead of 1 whole egg. 3 jumbo whites have 54 calories and 14 grams of protein (and no cholesterol). 1 whole jumbo egg has 90 calories, 8 grams of protein and 270 grams/mg? (not sure) of cholesterol.

You have to be okay with spending a lot more on eggs though.....since you throw a lot away....

Cholesterol in eggs is good for you, just FYI. And just buy egg whites in cartons then.

I have been told that many times - truth is, I've eaten egg whites so long that I prefer them. A whole egg is just gross to me. I'm not a fan of the carton of egg whites/egg beaters either. It's just a personal preference for me.

I don't mind separating my eggs and throwing away the yolk, but I know a lot of people view that as wasteful; hence, the comment about having to be okay with spending more. I don't mind it, but I know some would...

I'm sorry - I don't want to perpetuate the high cholesterol thing - so I shouldn't have included it in my post! :ohwell: I have heard that eggs don't effect cholesterol - by the time I had heard that, my love of egg whites had already been established!

It REALLY, truly is about personal taste preference for me. I hate egg yolk in hard boiled eggs - eggs over easy are disgusting to me (I eat around the yolk and throw the yolk away) - and I can't stand scrambled eggs unless it's like 1 whole egg to maybe 3 white.

I shouldn't have gone there.... :blushing:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You could certainly keep the whole egg if it's fitting in with your calories. If one egg isn't doing it for you though, you could take that whole egg and add as many egg whites as you wanted. More filling, but fewer calories and still better tasting than just egg whites (in my opinion)

I use one real egg and then buy a liquid container of egg whites, mainly to boost my macros on protein without the extra calories and what may or may not be cholesterol. (See above comments). : )
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes they do.

facepalm
    Hope you were holding an egg at the time.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yes they do.

facepalm

yep, and i made sure all the cholesterol went directly into my mouth.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I prefer the whole egg because I'm pretty sure I would be a sad, bitter lady if my breakfast was so bland (I need some fat! Lol). But also, I'm a cheapskate and I just couldn't justify wasting half of a perfectly good egg!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I use one whole egg and the equivalent of 1 egg white for my omlettes or breakfast sandwiches. Instead of throwing the yolk away, I buy cartons of egg whites. 1 egg white is equal to about 3 tbsp. There are alot of health benefits to the keeping the yolk, and I think mixing them with the whites is a good way to bulk it up without all the extra calories and cholesterol. Good luck :drinker:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I have to say, the whole "don't waste it, eat it" argument is part of the reason I'm fat! I've found it much harder to reduce the sugar in my coffee, and I'm trying to find a way to reduce my breakfast so I have more to work with in the evening.

Eggs... made you fat? Ooookay...
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (mostly hereditary), and I don't like egg yolk, so I don't eat them. I eat 3 whites instead of 1 whole egg. 3 jumbo whites have 54 calories and 14 grams of protein (and no cholesterol). 1 whole jumbo egg has 90 calories, 8 grams of protein and 270 grams/mg? (not sure) of cholesterol.

You have to be okay with spending a lot more on eggs though.....since you throw a lot away....

Cholesterol in eggs is good for you, just FYI. And just buy egg whites in cartons then.

I have been told that many times - truth is, I've eaten egg whites so long that I prefer them. A whole egg is just gross to me. I'm not a fan of the carton of egg whites/egg beaters either. It's just a personal preference for me.

I don't mind separating my eggs and throwing away the yolk, but I know a lot of people view that as wasteful; hence, the comment about having to be okay with spending more. I don't mind it, but I know some would...

Well, that's why you have bad cholesterol, then.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes they do.

facepalm

Dietary fat influences our blood cholesterol as do dietary carbohydrates and so most food we eat......last time I checked whole eggs have dietary fat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yes they do.

facepalm

Dietary fat influences our blood cholesterol as do dietary carbohydrates and so most food we eat......last time I checked whole eggs have dietary fat.

are you one of those people who thinks all saturated fats are bad for you?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I follow a guy on G+ that ate a dozen eggs and a quarter pound of butter every day for 3 months. Here's the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjIatOJnlA

Science, bishes. :)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 4 whole eggs a day. I will never change that because the nutrients are all in the yolk.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes they do.

facepalm

Nope, I've been for a decade a supporter of natural saturated fat consumption.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Nope, I've been for a decade a supporter of natural saturated fat consumption.

why would you do such a thing if it adversely affects your blood cholesterol?
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Well, that's why you have bad cholesterol, then.

Why is that? I'm confused....