Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options

are you one of those people who thinks all saturated fats are bad for you?
    Nope, I've been for a decade a supporter of natural saturated fat consumption.

why would you do such a thing if it adversely affects your blood cholesterol?

Where did I mention adversely?

ah. so you picked a fight for no reason.

got it.

carry on, y'all. nothing to see here. N actually agrees with me but felt like it was a good day to argue semantics. Typical.
    No, you made a statement that is not true, and instead of asking why, you decided that your 15 minutes of research on the subject was good enough to hold up to scrutiny, which it wasn't.......do some research next time you make statements that emphatic.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ah. so you picked a fight for no reason.

got it.

carry on, y'all. nothing to see here. N actually agrees with me but felt like it was a good day to argue semantics. Typical.
    No, you made a statement that is not true, and instead of asking why, you decided that your 15 minutes of research on the subject was good enough to hold up to scrutiny, which it wasn't.......do some research next time you make statements that emphatic.

see previous post
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Hahaha, I actually saw that coming.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually eat two eggs 4 times a week. At first I was only eating one of the yolks but then after reading lots of opinions on this I realized that the yolk wasn't bad for me. Get some more information before you skip the yolks :)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is enough of a calorie difference to warrant not eating the yolk. If that's why you are considering it, just eat the whole thing.

I disagree, the whole egg is double the calories.

I typically eat eggs and/or egg whites 4-5 days a week. I buy the cartons of egg whites (or Egg Beaters) and whole eggs. I typically mix 1/2 cup (the equivalent of two whole eggs) with one whole egg and scramble them up. Total calories is about 140 for the equivalent of three eggs, that's 70 calories less than three whole eggs and a great source of protein without sending cholesterol through the roof.

By the way, there is no such thing as "good cholesterol" but eating seven whole eggs a week isn't going to be bad for the average person. Eating 21 whole eggs would be a different scenario for the average person.

One other point to note--those "Eggies" really work and are a great way of making "hard boiled egg whites." Just be sure to get them well coated with a thin glaze of cooking spray or oil before you add the eggs, and be sure the tops are secure before putting them in the water.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    I prefer the whole egg because I'm pretty sure I would be a sad, bitter lady if my breakfast was so bland (I need some fat! Lol). But also, I'm a cheapskate and I just couldn't justify wasting half of a perfectly good egg!

Toss veggies or truffles in with those egg whites and you won't know the difference...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is enough of a calorie difference to warrant not eating the yolk. If that's why you are considering it, just eat the whole thing.

I typically eat eggs and/or egg whites 4-5 days a week. I buy the cartons of egg whites (or Egg Beaters) and whole eggs. I typically mix 1/2 cup (the equivalent of two whole eggs) with one whole egg and scramble them up. Total calories is about 140 for the equivalent of three eggs, that's 70 calories less than three whole eggs and a great source of protein without sending cholesterol through the roof.

By the way, there is no such thing as "good cholesterol" but eating seven whole eggs a week isn't going to be bad for the average person. Eating 21 whole eggs would be a different scenario for the average person.

One other point to note--those "Eggies" really work and are a great way of making "hard boiled egg whites." Just be sure to get them well coated with a thin glaze of cooking spray or oil before you add the eggs, and be sure the tops are secure before putting them in the water.

why do you say that? I know people who eat a dozen eggs a DAY and whose cholesterol #s are fine.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
    Sometimes your comments, while potentially true, are somewhat lacking in helpful information, why do eggs not affect cholesterol levels? Yes, they do have dietary cholesterol, and yes, it does affect your cholesterol, but not the 'bad' cholesterol that is the concern most people have.
    The fat in eggs affect the HDL cholesterol (the 'good') as it's unsaturated fats, as opposed to saturated fats that affect the LDL cholesterol ('bad' that causes lining in the blood vessels). The difference is in knowing what cholesterol is being affected by the foods you eat, and that was left unspecified in my comment, and left as a general 'cholesterol' comment, as some people have issues with different types of cholesterol (ie last physical my bad cholesterol was at a good level, but my good cholesterol was at a bad level), so my bad on not getting into the technicals of it. The word cholesterol in general tends to tweak people out apparently.

there is actually a good amount of saturated fat in eggs as well - and no, it does not raise you LDL like previously believed.

here's the kicker - do eggs (and most foods) affect your cholesterol levels? yes, and most whole foods affect your cholesterol in a positive way. however, 95% of the time when people hear the word cholesterol in the same sentence as a food item, they instantly become paralyzed with fear of said food item, so while I am prone to hyperbole, I use it because I'd rather have people understand that eggs won't HURT them, than bog things down with minutiae. Besides, the minutiae comes about anyway over the course of a thread, but in my book making a very clear "eggs will not hurt you" statement has its place. IMO of course.
    I can agree with that. And I don't mind if you tell me I'm wrong, I fully believe that some of us have kept up with the common misconceptions (which is what makes them common), and don't bother to fact check everything (it gets a little insane sometimes). Just explain why I'm incorrect, not just "noooooooo, wrong". :D
    And I eat the whole egg. Probably too many eggs when it comes down to it, but they are delicious.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like yolks either, so I eat 4 egg whites, more protein than one whole egg and about the same amount of calories.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    [why do you say that? I know people who eat a dozen eggs a DAY and whose cholesterol #s are fine.

They are probably genetically predisposed to low cholesterol. I've spoken to a doctor and a registered dietician about this, both caution that the average adult should not eat more than one whole egg a day (or seven per week).
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    [why do you say that? I know people who eat a dozen eggs a DAY and whose cholesterol #s are fine.

They are probably genetically predisposed to low cholesterol. I've spoken to a doctor and a registered dietician about this, both caution that the average adult should not eat more than one whole egg a day (or seven per week).

I'm not genetically predisposed to low cholesterol and my levels are fine. I eat probably a mere dozen duck eggs a week, and I'm not even including the cholesterol from my 2 pounds of beef a week I eat.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    I think some people are here just to argue and prove a point. All of this has stemmed from a question about eggs... Eggs, people! We're not talking politics, abortions, war etc...
    Anyway, my 2 cents: I tried to cut out all yolk for a while. I almost feel like I lost more weight when I began eating them again! Listen to your doctor. If they say don't eat them bc of a certain reason, don't eat them. If they say they are fine, enjoy them! I eat the whole egg and my cholesterol level is just fine. Different bodies might react differently. Shouldn't Cheerios lower cholesterol levels? Eggs and Cheerios, there you go :tongue:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    whole egg
  • Annerk1
    Options
    I'm not genetically predisposed to low cholesterol and my levels are fine. I eat probably a mere dozen duck eggs a week, and I'm not even including the cholesterol from my 2 pounds of beef a week I eat.

Good for you. I'm going to defer to the advice of a medical doctor and registered dietician over someone on the Internet who might not have even finished 7th grade for all I know.

By the way, things can catch up with you later in life.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I just eat them whole damn thing. I make it fit into my goals so I don't have to bother with removing the yolk.

This is what someone said to me about why some people may choose to eat just the egg white:
    " My friend actually posted this today: I've had enough ppl ask me about egg yolks, or rather why not egg yolks so here's the reply I gave a friend today. Her actual question is "Why are egg yolks so evil?" lol :) As far as egg yolks, there's really nothing evil about them. It's just the nutrient to calorie/fat ratio isn't favorable. One large egg white is only 16 cals, 0 fat, and 4 grams of protein (teensy bit of vit's and minerals). Whereas a whole egg is 71 cals, 5 g fat, and 6 grams of protein and has a bit more vit's and minerals. BUT, if you are eating your greens and colored vege's, you get exeedingly more of those same vitamins and minerals without the extra fat and cals. If you have fish and fish oil in your diet, you more than cover the omegas. So egg whites are just far more functional when you're eating to fuel the body. When you get to your goal fit level, you can certainly add in a whole egg or two if that's something you prefer. But, me personally, if I'm going to "spend" my extra cals on something "fun" it's gonna be something far more fun than egg yolks! lol Many people like to tout yolks as an iron source. Really? One yolk has .9mg iron (remember the 71 cals). One cup raw spinach... 7 cals, .8mg iron. Does that help explain why no yolks? Yolks are high in Vit D and Vit A. Fish is a far greater source of Vit D and omegas. And carrots and sweet potatoes can't be beat for Vit A. It boils down to where you want to spend your cals for what you get in return. I say save the yolks for planned times out, Sunday breakfast with the fam, stuff like that."
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Going off the MFP food database (which I don't claim is always right)
    Generic egg - 70 calories
    Egg - Egg white only - 20 calories

50 calorie difference. 50. In the grand scheme of 12,000 + calories, that's a drop in the bucket. I didn't say there was NOT a difference, and not eating the yolk you're leaving out more than calories, you're also leaving out a lot of nutrients. I have no issue if someone wants to eat egg whites (because now I want an egg white sammich), but the OP was debating the benefits against them based, it seemed, on calories.

Why do you say that there's no such thing as 'good cholesterol'? Even the American Heart Association acknowledges that LDL and HDL are two different kinds of cholesterol and HDL has benefits to it.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/Good-vs-Bad-Cholesterol_UCM_305561_Article.jsp
    LDL (Bad) Cholesterol
    When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

HDL (Good) Cholesterol
    About one-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as "good" cholesterol, because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women) also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from arterial plaque, slowing its buildup.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You realize you're only saving yourself about 52 calories by not eating the yolk, right? Even eating just 1200 cals a day (don't, btw) you can make that work.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think some people are here just to argue and prove a point. All of this has stemmed from a question about eggs... Eggs, people! We're not talking politics, abortions, war etc...
    Anyway, my 2 cents: I tried to cut out all yolk for a while. I almost feel like I lost more weight when I began eating them again! Listen to your doctor. If they say don't eat them bc of a certain reason, don't eat them. If they say they are fine, enjoy them! I eat the whole egg and my cholesterol level is just fine. Different bodies might react differently. Shouldn't Cheerios lower cholesterol levels? Eggs and Cheerios, there you go :tongue:

:flowerforyou:
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Whole egg. I love the yolk. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Good for you. I'm going to defer to the advice of a medical doctor and registered dietician over someone on the Internet who might not have even finished 7th grade for all I know.

By the way, things can catch up with you later in life.

Heck, for all I know, you've never finished elementary school either, but I certainly wasn't rude about an opposing opinion., I'd suggest doing your own research in addition to listening to those in health care professions.

Also, someone who eats high cholesterol and doesn't have high numbers doesn't mean they are automatically predisposed to low serum cholesterol.