Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs ftw!

I usually make scrambled eggs with two whole eggs and one additional egg white. Adds some extra protein without too many extra calories. The yolk is great for you though. If you're only eating one egg a day I'd say definitely don't skip the yolk.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The yolk is my favorite part! I often eat one or two hard boiled eggs or somethings an egg sandwich.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Going off the MFP food database (which I don't claim is always right)
    Generic egg - 70 calories
    Egg - Egg white only - 20 calories

50 calorie difference. 50. In the grand scheme of 12,000 + calories, that's a drop in the bucket. I didn't say there was NOT a difference, and not eating the yolk you're leaving out more than calories, you're also leaving out a lot of nutrients. I have no issue if someone wants to eat egg whites (because now I want an egg white sammich), but the OP was debating the benefits against them based, it seemed, on calories.

12,000 calories? Who eats that many calories a day? That's crazy! If you mean in a week, 50 x 3 = 150 a day x 7 days a week = 1050 calories a week. That's half a day's food for someone eating 1700 calories a day.
    Why do you say that there's no such thing as 'good cholesterol'? Even the American Heart Association acknowledges that LDL and HDL are two different kinds of cholesterol and HDL has benefits to it.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/Good-vs-Bad-Cholesterol_UCM_305561_Article.jsp
    LDL (Bad) Cholesterol
    When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

HDL (Good) Cholesterol
    About one-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by high-density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as "good" cholesterol, because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women) also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from arterial plaque, slowing its buildup.

You are right, I should have been more clear. The Mayo Clinic states that egg yolks can contribute to high LDL. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'm going to defer to the advice of a medical doctor and registered dietician over someone on the Internet who might not have even finished 7th grade for all I know.

That's nice. Scientifically, that doctor and dietician are wrong. I trust facts over someone's "educated" opinion. :)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    seriously? the egg issue? Again?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The calories in 4 egg whites = 1 whole egg. Therefore, I eat 4 egg whites for breakfast, with a little cheese, much more filling. And less fat and cholesterol as well.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The calories in 4 egg whites = 1 whole egg. Therefore, I eat 4 egg whites for breakfast, with a little cheese, much more filling. And less fat and cholesterol as well.

That's a good argument.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'm going to defer to the advice of a medical doctor and registered dietician over someone on the Internet who might not have even finished 7th grade for all I know.

That's nice. Scientifically, that doctor and dietician are wrong. I trust facts over someone's "educated" opinion. :)

Come back and talk to me when you're 60--if you haven't had a SCA by then. Until then, I'll trust the professionals.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    if you are using it purely for protein, then nothing wrong w/ just the white (you can in fact buy a bottle of just egg whites at whole foods etc). Thus if you are looking for like 4-5 whites to supplement protein, then that's the way to go, and adding the yolks will just up the fat and calories. I'm looking at this as more a protein powder replacement of sorts.

that said. most people just use protein powder for such purpose due to ease of use.

The yolk is healthy...it has alot of heart healthy stuff there but sure it does have cholesterol which can add up......I think the science is undetermined in respect of the health effects of eating more than like 1-2 eggs a day (which should be fine, though I don't know if, cholesterol wise, eating 5 eggs a day maybe isn't fine). And I think no one would be eating so many eggs on a daily basis if not for protein purposes....in which case the whites are the more important macro....so I'd say in that case, have 1-2 whole and the rest whites.
  • rocket_ace
    Options

^this is exactly the point from a macro perspective.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options

That's a good argument.

:heart:
  • rocket_ace
    Options
    I think some people are here just to argue and prove a point. All of this has stemmed from a question about eggs... Eggs, people! We're not talking politics, abortions, war etc...
    Anyway, my 2 cents: I tried to cut out all yolk for a while. I almost feel like I lost more weight when I began eating them again! Listen to your doctor. If they say don't eat them bc of a certain reason, don't eat them. If they say they are fine, enjoy them! I eat the whole egg and my cholesterol level is just fine. Different bodies might react differently. Shouldn't Cheerios lower cholesterol levels? Eggs and Cheerios, there you go :tongue:

:flowerforyou:

its a troll culture - I'm almost too scared to comment on anything anymore.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    I prefer the whole egg because I'm pretty sure I would be a sad, bitter lady if my breakfast was so bland (I need some fat! Lol). But also, I'm a cheapskate and I just couldn't justify wasting half of a perfectly good egg!

Toss veggies or truffles in with those egg whites and you won't know the difference...

i could toss truffles into an old sneaker and it would taste good. mmmm truffles.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I was just thinking this as I was scrolling through.
    Geesh, it's just eggs!

If you don't eat the yolk, 40,000 children will starve in Africa.

How about- check the calories/fat/protein. If you eat a 3 egg omelet with whole eggs vs. egg whites- does it fit?
    Will you go over?
    If so, change it.
    If not, eat it.
    when the whole MFP community agrees on a subject without getting all nasty, hell will have officially frozen over.
    And I bet you can eat the whole egg there!!!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I understand the rationale of don't waste it, eat it (My family always had the motto of "never turn down food"...) and trying to change this mentality, but in this instance, getting a good solid breakfast is important. Unless you have worries about cholesterol, eat the whole egg. If 90-ish calories are a deal breaker for your calorie intake, I'd look at what else you're eating to make changes, or put in some extra exercise daily.
    Remember, this is about healthy eating and making smart choices for life, not restricting your eating habits until you freak out and binge. You may take my unnecessary creamer from my cold dead hands, I eat healthy in other ways.

No. Eggs do NOT affect your cholesterol levels. No effect. NONE. Eat them regardless of whether or not you've got high cholesterol.
    Sometimes your comments, while potentially true, are somewhat lacking in helpful information, why do eggs not affect cholesterol levels? Yes, they do have dietary cholesterol, and yes, it does affect your cholesterol, but not the 'bad' cholesterol that is the concern most people have.
    The fat in eggs affect the HDL cholesterol (the 'good') as it's unsaturated fats, as opposed to saturated fats that affect the LDL cholesterol ('bad' that causes lining in the blood vessels). The difference is in knowing what cholesterol is being affected by the foods you eat, and that was left unspecified in my comment, and left as a general 'cholesterol' comment, as some people have issues with different types of cholesterol (ie last physical my bad cholesterol was at a good level, but my good cholesterol was at a bad level), so my bad on not getting into the technicals of it. The word cholesterol in general tends to tweak people out apparently.

there is actually a good amount of saturated fat in eggs as well - and no, it does not raise you LDL like previously believed.

here's the kicker - do eggs (and most foods) affect your cholesterol levels? yes, and most whole foods affect your cholesterol in a positive way. however, 95% of the time when people hear the word cholesterol in the same sentence as a food item, they instantly become paralyzed with fear of said food item, so while I am prone to hyperbole, I use it because I'd rather have people understand that eggs won't HURT them, than bog things down with minutiae. Besides, the minutiae comes about anyway over the course of a thread, but in my book making a very clear "eggs will not hurt you" statement has its place. IMO of course.
    I can agree with that. And I don't mind if you tell me I'm wrong, I fully believe that some of us have kept up with the common misconceptions (which is what makes them common), and don't bother to fact check everything (it gets a little insane sometimes). Just explain why I'm incorrect, not just "noooooooo, wrong". :D
    And I eat the whole egg. Probably too many eggs when it comes down to it, but they are delicious.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Come back and talk to me when you're 60--if you haven't had a SCA by then. Until then, I'll trust the professionals.

just keep in mind that doctors are only required to go through ONE nutrition course in their countless years of schooling/residency/etc, and that course is entirely FDA/USDA based. In other words, doctors know absolutely zilch about nutrition
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    I think some people are here just to argue and prove a point. All of this has stemmed from a question about eggs... Eggs, people! We're not talking politics, abortions, war etc...
    Anyway, my 2 cents: I tried to cut out all yolk for a while. I almost feel like I lost more weight when I began eating them again! Listen to your doctor. If they say don't eat them bc of a certain reason, don't eat them. If they say they are fine, enjoy them! I eat the whole egg and my cholesterol level is just fine. Different bodies might react differently. Shouldn't Cheerios lower cholesterol levels? Eggs and Cheerios, there you go :tongue:

:flowerforyou:

Eeek! Trolls live under bridges!!

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

50 calorie difference. 50. In the grand scheme of 12,000 + calories, that's a drop in the bucket. I didn't say there was NOT a difference, and not eating the yolk you're leaving out more than calories, you're also leaving out a lot of nutrients. I have no issue if someone wants to eat egg whites (because now I want an egg white sammich), but the OP was debating the benefits against them based, it seemed, on calories.

12,000 calories? Who eats that many calories a day? That's crazy! If you mean in a week, 50 x 3 = 150 a day x 7 days a week = 1050 calories a week. That's half a day's food for someone eating 1700 calories a day.

I think you need to calm down before you start jumping off the porch at people. I meant to say 1,200+ not 12,000 + calories, as there are some people who are on this site in maintenance (or trying to gain) that 1,200 calories are a perfectly acceptable # (as we are all like snowflakes). Definitely not for mine, but I don't know what the OP's calories are at, and so I meant to use a very low and generic # to prove that even with a very low calorie budget, it still did not make much of a difference.

Going back to the OP stated "I've been eating one whole egg in the morning " ONE EGG, not the 3 that is in your calculation (not sure where the 3 came from, basing it on an egg at every meal?). Going from a whole egg to egg white = -50 calories a day deficit in this one meal. Assuming that said one egg is consumed every day of the week, she would be cutting out a total of 350 calories (50 calories once a day X 7days a week) by going to an egg white.
    PER DAY if someone perchance were to actually be at an acceptable 1,200 calories a day, then an extra 50 calories to a meal would not be an outrageous addition, the reverse (taking out the yok and going with -50 calories) is also true. The concern that it was the caloric intake that may be the reason to stop eating the yolk, and so it's up to the OP to determine if 50 calories is worth the potential time/money/nturients/etc to eat the whole or the egg white.\

(Edited to correct 12,000 to 1,200)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I think you need to calm down before you start jumping off the porch at people. I said 12,000 + calories, I believe you missed the "+" part of that. There are some people who are on this site in maintenance (or trying to gain) that 12,000 calories are a perfectly acceptable # (as we are all like snowflakes). Definitely not for mine, but I don't know what the OP's calories are at, and so I used a very low and generic # to prove that even with a very low calorie budget, it still did not make much of a difference.

Going back to the OP stated "I've been eating one whole egg in the morning " ONE EGG, not the 3 that is in your calculation (not sure where the 3 came from, basing it on an egg at every meal?). Going from a whole egg to egg white = -50 calories a day deficit in this one meal. Assuming that said one egg is consumed every day of the week, she would be cutting out a total of 350 calories (50 calories once a day X 7days a week) by going to an egg white.
    PER DAY if someone perchance were to actually be at an acceptable 12,000 calories a day, then an extra 50 calories to a meal would not be an outrageous addition, the reverse (taking out the yok and going with -50 calories) is also true. The concern that it was the caloric intake that may be the reason to stop eating the yolk, and so it's up to the OP to determine if 50 calories is worth the potential time/money/nturients/etc to eat the whole or the egg white.

um.

no one is at 12,000 cal/day maintenance. 6,000 is really the highest I've ever heard someone advocate, and that's Mark Rippetoe - but he's talking about a bulk (building muscle quickly)
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options

I think you need to calm down before you start jumping off the porch at people. I said 12,000 + calories, I believe you missed the "+" part of that. There are some people who are on this site in maintenance (or trying to gain) that 12,000 calories are a perfectly acceptable # (as we are all like snowflakes). Definitely not for mine, but I don't know what the OP's calories are at, and so I used a very low and generic # to prove that even with a very low calorie budget, it still did not make much of a difference.

PER DAY if someone perchance were to actually be at an acceptable 12,000 calories a day, then an extra 50 calories to a meal would not be an outrageous addition, the reverse (taking out the yok and going with -50 calories) is also true. The concern that it was the caloric intake that may be the reason to stop eating the yolk, and so it's up to the OP to determine if 50 calories is worth the potential time/money/nturients/etc to eat the whole or the egg white.

um.

no one is at 12,000 cal/day maintenance. 6,000 is really the highest I've ever heard someone advocate, and that's Mark Rippetoe - but he's talking about a bulk (building muscle quickly)

yeah...i do not think that number means what you think it means.

i sincerely hope you aren't eating 12,000 calories a day...unless you are looking to gain a few pounds every day