For those on LCHF/Paleo here is a cool infographic

Options
sweetiecorn
sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
Feel free to wave it in the face of all those people that wonder when you're gonna "quit that crazy diet of yours"

Eat clean, enjoy

cool-infographic-fat-food-carbs.jpg

*not my infographic, obtained from dietdoctor.

Replies

• sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cool!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0yr1iDl0I1r19jfr.gif

excess calories makes you fat. not what its made of. carry on.
  • nikilis
    Options
    but yeh, bagels kind of suck. you go me there. I'd go for the protein any day.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Too bad it's false.
    People twist nutrition and science to make statements
    That just aren't true.
    A person with a 2000 calories need who eats
    50% carbs one day,and just 25% carbs the next day but eats
    The exact 2000 both days will end up not gaining weight either day.
    Calories in<calories out= weight loss
    Calories in>calories out =weight gain
    Calories in =calories in =maintenance
    Carbs and fat intake are of minimal effect.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0yr1iDl0I1r19jfr.gif I don't think many PCOS patients with insulin resistance will entirely agree with you. I do both (eat clean and keep an eye on calories) and it's the only thing that has ever worked.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    cool story.
  • nikilis
    Options
    tumblr_m0yr1iDl0I1r19jfr.gif I don't think many PCOS patients with insulin resistance will entirely agree with you. I do both (eat clean and keep an eye on calories) and it's the only thing that has ever worked.

you might want to put that with a * next to it in your main post.

in any case, the info graphic is oversimplification and also incorrect.

tumblr_inline_mkp563Yk301ryims5.gif
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Same here and it's been working great since 1/1/13.
  • nikilis
    Options

Same here and it's been working great since 1/1/13.

good to hear, but you represent 4.6% of the population. infographic still wrong.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I got fatter on paleo because I believed this nonsense. I believed this nonsense because I didn't want to put in the effort to get fit.

I've been steadily leaning out counting calories and eating whatever the hell I want after I hit my protein goal for the day. Bread, beans, dairy, yum! Bread and other grain based products give me a supercharge that lasts a good long while.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    Count calories, exercise, and just try not to eat much processed food for good, lasting energy. Even processed food will burn if you are tracking and exercising. None of this dieting nonsense.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Feel free to wave it in the face of all those people that wonder when you're gonna "quit that crazy diet of yours"
    I was kind of skeptical but now that I've had that waved in my face, I'm convinced.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    A calorie isn't a calorie isn't a calorie. Protein, fat and carbohydrates all affect your body in different ways, chemically speaking.

For some people, carbohydrates trigger overeating and binging and being on a LCHF diet can lead to steady insulin levels, reduce hunger and overall less calories taken in for the day. See: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81gPAyL9CJL.png

The human body has a very quick digestive process for carbohydrates and a very quick and easy mechanism to turn sugars and starches into fat if they are not soon used as fuel or in other scenarios. The human body has a slower way to turn excess protein into glucose and from there into fat, if it is not used. Dietary fat is very difficult to turn into body fat.

Paleo is NOT low-carb-high-fat. A ketogenic diet can be paleo, and paleo CAN BE ketogenic, but they are not one and the same. If you got fat on paleo, cool story, that's not keto. I haven't heard of a single scenario where someone following a ketogenic diet has gained body fat unless they're secretly binging on donuts and cake and bread and pasta and potatoes and candy all the time (my girlfriend had a really hard time with the amount of beef and butter I eat due to sweet tooth cravings, so she has since switched to an IIFYM calorie counting dietary restriction).
  • bacitracin
    Options

Of course it is a gross oversimplification, meant to appeal and educate the lowest common denominator, but I fail to see how it is incorrect. Would you please enlighten me? :)
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cute infographic or peer reviewed medical journal?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985705-paleo-diet-assoc-with-negchanges-to-bloodlipid-in-healthysub

EDIT: I don't respond well to things waving in my face. Unless it's pie.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    Love it! (even though I'm a Pescetarian)
  • nikilis
    Options

Of course it is a gross oversimplification, meant to appeal and educate the lowest common denominator, but I fail to see how it is incorrect. Would you please enlighten me? :)

carbs don't make you fat. excess caloric intake makes you fat. thats a pretty simple concept.

I'm totally for protein over carbs, but that doesn't make this infographic right.

its not carbs that make you fat. they might make its more difficult to loose weight, but it isn't carbs that make you fat.

if thats not clear, i cant help you.
  • bacitracin
    Options
    Of course it's not carbs themselves, it's the overconsumption of carbs, and how carbs affect your body. Try to get obese overconsuming dietary fat. I'd really like to see that. :) The infographic pretty explicitly states that it's the response from having quick-digesting processed wheat flour that causes insulin to come out, and it's pretty accurate as far as insulin's effects. Having ONE BAGEL isn't gonna do that, I agree. People who have problems with carbs and end up getting fat from them rarely seem to have the willpower to reduce their intake that way and restrict their calories precisely because of the serotonin and dopamine released become addictive. I'm a sufferer of chronic depression. I'm very sensitive to carbohydrates causing a spike in my insulin, and releasing neurotransmitters that make me feel amazing for a while... then suddenly crashing and feeling like nothing is right in the world, and being angry for no reason at everyone and at myself. So far, donuts don't make me try to kill myself, but I do feel like absolute crap for a few days.

So... Yeah. If you don't have mental problems in the first place, you're probably fine with a bagel. For me, a ketogenic diet is better than taking prozac to balance my mood and prevent jumping off a bridge. The bonus is that since starting it, I lost almost 50lbs, my blood pressure and heart rate are amazing, and my cholesterol is perfect. I'm only deficient in vitamin D and that's probably from having an office job. :)

*edit for science references* http://www.livestrong.com/article/458140-do-carbohydrates-raise-serotonin-dopamine/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/340959-serotonin-and-dopamine-for-depression/
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not carbs themselves, it's the overconsumption of carbs, and how carbs affect your body. Try to get obese overconsuming dietary fat. I'd really like to see that. :) The infographic pretty explicitly states that it's the response from having quick-digesting processed wheat flour that causes insulin to come out, and it's pretty accurate as far as insulin's effects. Having ONE BAGEL isn't gonna do that, I agree. People who have problems with carbs and end up getting fat from them rarely seem to have the willpower to reduce their intake that way and restrict their calories precisely because of the serotonin and dopamine released become addictive. I'm a sufferer of chronic depression. I'm very sensitive to carbohydrates causing a spike in my insulin, and releasing neurotransmitters that make me feel amazing for a while... then suddenly crashing and feeling like nothing is right in the world, and being angry for no reason at everyone and at myself. So far, donuts don't make me try to kill myself, but I do feel like absolute crap for a few days.

So... Yeah. If you don't have mental problems in the first place, you're probably fine with a bagel. For me, a ketogenic diet is better than taking prozac to balance my mood and prevent jumping off a bridge. The bonus is that since starting it, I lost almost 50lbs, my blood pressure and heart rate are amazing, and my cholesterol is perfect. I'm only deficient in vitamin D and that's probably from having an office job. :)

*edit for science references* http://www.livestrong.com/article/458140-do-carbohydrates-raise-serotonin-dopamine/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/340959-serotonin-and-dopamine-for-depression/

I can easily put back 6000 cals a day in just steak. No problem. Are you seriously saying I wouldn't get fatter Ike that?
  • bacitracin
    Options
    Really? I top out at about 3000 calories a day in steak. I just physically can not fit anymore in my body. :) Carbohydrates on the other hand, I think I topped out at about 8000 one time. That was a good day. ;D

I'd like to see an experiment with someone following a standard 65% fat calories, 30% protein calories, 5% carbohydrate calories diet at a caloric surplus. So far, I have yet to communicate or discover of anyone following such a diet who has increased body fat percentage.