Replies

• cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

mmm, ill take tooth decay over 30 year life span. high 5 yall.

i don't think you're fighting sabertooth tigers... right?

I think vaccinations and antibiotics are the bigger contributor, but hey!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Medical disorders aside:

an excess of bacon calories will store just as effectively as fat as an excess of bagel calories.

Please note: bacon will appear on my plate 1000x more often than a bagel.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to eat all of the food while you all argue about what foods are good or bad. I want the bagel, the eggs, and the bacon. No thanks to the low fat cream cheese but I will have regular cream cheese. It's all just fuel.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

not at all. the point is that many of the diseases we've had to vaccinate ourselves against only came about because people started living in large, more densely populated groups because of the agricultural revolution. prehistoric man did not die of plague and TB.

antibiotics, while... useful in eradicating certain diseases, are now over prescribed and cause a plethora of systemic problems from IBS to Candida, etc.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not true.

I've eaten at 1,000 calorie deficit (daily average) since February. No weight loss.

Now I'm eating less carbs but the same amount of calories - around 1600 per day - start losing 1-2 pounds per day.

The "simple" calorie in/out math doesn't work for everyone. I don't need science to prove it, my body proves it.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    mMtVaV6.gif
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    brick-loud-noises-b1.jpg
  • medic2038
    Options

not at all. the point is that many of the diseases we've had to vaccinate ourselves against only came about because people started living in large, more densely populated groups because of the agricultural revolution. prehistoric man did not die of plague and TB.

antibiotics, while... useful in eradicating certain diseases, are now over prescribed and cause a plethora of systemic problems from IBS to Candida, etc.

The plague was in a relatively narrow historic timeframe; Colonial revolutionaries and Romans didn't die from the plague either. I'll agree that the more dispersed populations made it more difficult for communicable disease.
    However the number 1 as far as civilization is concerned was disease (infections, not chronic disease).

Even a caveman was more likely to die from an infection then actually being killed by a sabertooth tiger , I'd imagine.

Edit:
    And I too agree about our overmedicating people.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The plague was in a relatively narrow historic timeframe; Colonial revolutionaries and Romans didn't die from the plague either. I'll agree that the more dispersed populations made it more difficult for communicable disease.
    However the number 1 as far as civilization is concerned was disease (infections, not chronic disease).

Even a caveman was more likely to die from an infection then actually being killed by a sabertooth tiger , I'd imagine.

haha maybe so, I don't have the information to argue one way or the other besides current aboriginal cultures that don't experience near the same amount of disease as westerners do. the sabertooth tiger comment was an hyperbolic example of the differences between caveman life and modern life. :wink:
  • medic2038
    Options

haha maybe so, I don't have the information to argue one way or the other besides current aboriginal cultures that don't experience near the same amount of disease as westerners do. the sabertooth tiger comment was an hyperbolic example of the differences between caveman life and modern life. :wink:

haha I know I know!
    I was just tying to point out while we use the term "disease" pretty indiscriminately, there's many different types.

In anycase, we all have to die from something!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Let the doubters stay in their ways, we know the truth ;-)

And what truth would that be?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not true.

I've eaten at 1,000 calorie deficit (daily average) since February. No weight loss.

Now I'm eating less carbs but the same amount of calories - around 1600 per day - start losing 1-2 pounds per day.

The "simple" calorie in/out math doesn't work for everyone. I don't need science to prove it, my body proves it.

Do you have metabolic issues? It does not change the calorie in calorie out math - it changes the energy out part of the equation.

Also, lower carbs = less water weight so you will start losing at first.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

haha I know I know!
    I was just tying to point out while we use the term "disease" pretty indiscriminately, there's many different types.

In anycase, we all have to die from something!

that's actually a good point. your distinction between chronic illnesses (cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc) and infectious diseases is important. it's entirely likely that if a caveman were to get an infectious disease that he would die from it - whether the fault of the disease, or the fact that the disease slowed him down so the sabertooth tiger was able to catch him. :P

but even today we can't vaccinate against the common cold, and flu vaccines are shoddy at best, so saying that vaccines and antibiotics are a knock against following a paleo lifestyle is a little silly to me.
  • medic2038
    Options
    haha I wasn't knocking paleo at all for that.
    If anything I actually follow a quasi-paleo diet myself. I do keto which isn't too far off, the main exception is that you eat more fruit.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    haha I wasn't knocking paleo at all for that.
    If anything I actually follow a quasi-paleo diet myself. I do keto which isn't too far off, the main exception is that you eat more fruit.

yep. i eat all the fruit. :smile:
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Medical disorders aside:

an excess of bacon calories will store just as effectively as fat as an excess of bagel calories.

please detail the method by which your body stores dietary fat as body fat.

and to the poster above, zoelifts, what part of this 4 page thread is bovine fecal matter?
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Quite a few people have metabolic disorders and don't know it if they reduce carbs or eat more natural and lose weight Yay for them on looking after their health even if it starts as a 'fad'

Hell people I work with still think me going to the gym is a fad and I've been going for years

They also wonder why I don't eat the rubbish they bring in like buns for birthdays, it used to be a case of ' I'm pre diabetic I can't' now sorry it just doesn't appeal! (They still try but one won't hurt approach but I'm not eating something I don't want)

And apologies I find bagels revolting

Now I'm going to get eggs from my chickens!
  • poodlegold1
    poodlegold1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for almost six months. So far, I have had the following results: Weight from 202 to 164, gained muscle and feel fantastic. Blood results back...I did everything that is considered 100% paleo, including meat fats, etc. My cholesterol went from 368 to 78. Blood sugar went from 350 to 79. My doctor was blown away by the results. I have the energy now to walk about 5 miles a week, and to lift weights three days a week, along with stretches. Sleep is fantastic, allergies are gone, turns out i was also allergic to dairy, so all of the reactions I have had to face creams and things like detergents are also minimal now. I feel clean inside and my skin is glowing. No more preservatives, loads of organic veggies, and only pasture raised meats, eggs and a bit of wild fish...occasional chicken. The doc that wanted me on statins and fish oil capsules and some drug for pancreas disease is now going off to the store to buy Practical Paleo, the first paleo book I read back in November. If anyone is considering a radical change for good, I highly recommend the eating, diet and exercise of a paleo regime.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Confucius says: There are often many paths that lead to the same destination.

My favorite example of this is the Stanford A to Z study. They identified two subtypes of obesity. One with problems processing carbs, and one without. The ones with problems had better success on the atkins diet, while the others had better success on a low-fat diet.

http://nutrition.stanford.edu/projects/az.html

Great video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo