FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA

Options

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.
    That's very strange... because I have a free day every single Friday, where I regularly consume anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 calories... and I've lost 77 lbs. And continue to lose.

According to you I'm a liar. How dare you.
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mj411sAZqm1qz4rgp.gif
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    Amennnnn:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    love Beyonceeeee
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on how you look at things and what your goals are.

I have my goal currently set at 1560 Net and I go over by up to 500 every few days. If I really want to, I could keep at my calorie goal every day or slightly under and then 1 day a week eat around 2000 - 2300.

For me to undo all my work, I'd need to eat 3500 calories + 1560 goal and that would just bring me to maintenance level. So technically even that wouldn't really undo my work. I'd have to eat more than that for days on end to gain back the weight I have lost.

tumblr_lz3jd2faJa1qa46lo.gif
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well crap!! I have been doing this all wrong then... Think how much more weight I could have lost had I not had those refeed's every Saturday... :drinker:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Well crap!! I have been doing this all wrong then... Think how much more weight I could have lost had I not had those refeed's every Saturday... :drinker:
    OMG... 312 lbs?!

That is INCREDIBLE. Congratulations!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I've had some horrendous cheat days the last couple of weeks and am still losing.

If you weighed yourself the day after and *kitten* yourself, it is probably because of the sodium levels in your cheat meal/day.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have lost 98 pounds and have "free days" all the time.
    :drinker:

But according to her that's not POSSIBLE!! :laugh:
    Be fair--she did not say that. She said you "can" undo a week's worth of work in one day/meal, not that you necessarily always will. It may have been in response to the person who posted about eating 9500 calories at a buffet--few people do that, but it does show that it can happen.
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    wow!! truly inspiring
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.

I agree that "free" or "cheat" days are a bad idea. The point of a lifestyle change is learning to reward yourself with things other than food. When I make the 300 pound mark or 62 pounds lost, I'm getting an hour and a half massage. Way better than binge eating at the local buffet!
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you see a big gain immediately after a "free day" it's probably because your sodium was off the charts. Next time, keep it under 2500 mg and you'll be fine.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have lost 98 pounds and have "free days" all the time.
    :drinker:

But according to her that's not POSSIBLE!! :laugh:
    Be fair--she did not say that. She said you "can" undo a week's worth of work in one day/meal, not that you necessarily always will. It may have been in response to the person who posted about eating 9500 calories at a buffet--few people do that, but it does show that it can happen.

I must have missed that post. That is definitely overkill.

Oh well, I'm still gonna have a slice of cake today and no one can stop me.

tumblr_m5x9n1xf3D1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • mandi108
    mandi108 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think free days are fine.... Just maybe throw in an extra workout or something to balance it out. I am by no means a dieting expert but it seems to me that if you deny yourself EVERYTHING you love to eat then eventually you'll give in to temptation and just binge and binge.
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options

OP's weight lost: 12 lbs

This guy's weight lost: 312 lbs

Yyyyyyyyyea...I wonder who people are going to be more inclined to take advice from...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    it would have to be one hell of an epic free meal for me to undo the work I've done all week. EPIC.

I regularly have days where I eat at maintenance (500 calories over my regular allowance). And sometimes more. Hasn't hurt my progress at all. It HAS helped immensely with my adherence to my new lifestyle/exercise/way of eating.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I just do a free "meal." And I don't go crazy. My free meal this weekend was a cheeseburger and fries, but I took half the burger home. All about portion control. This is a lifestyle change, and I still eat the things I want, just in moderation and not stuffing myself silly.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I am regularly blown away by your transformation Ed - you have worked so hard, and got amazing results.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 to 2000 a day so I guess every day is a cheat day!!!:)

Ponyta! You can have as many calories as you want :)
  • mandi108
    mandi108 Posts: 16
    Options

Congratulations!!! You are a true inspiration!