FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people must instantly respond with attacks. Why would that be anyone's first response? I cannot get my head around it....

I literally did not see one single person respond with an "attack."

OP posted a rather strongly opinionated title "FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA" which many people on here disagreed with based on personal experience. Naturally, many who responded here are defensive and put off by the OP's accusations. They are simply trying to show her that her opinion isn't necessarily right. How is that attacking her?

An attack would be, "OP, you are an idiot. If you honestly think cheat meals are a bad idea you are not welcome here!!! what a stupid thing to say!!!! GET OUT WE HATE YOU!"

Sorry, I just think people are way too sensitive on these boards.

Anywho, I agree with most of what's been said - if cheat days don't work for you, OP, that's fine... but for many of us they work just fine. In fact, to many of us they aren't "cheat" days at all, because this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I also think these kinds of threads do more harm than good because as someone else mentioned, this is why we see threads all the time like "omg I binged and went 500 cals over my goal now I've ruined my hard work I give up :(" Because threads like these told people new to weight loss that cheat days are awful.

OP thinks that free days are a horrible idea. Is she not allowed her opinion? The first comment in was rather a rude one. So yeah. Anyhoo, YOU don't have to like it. Sure there are some hypersensitive people on these boards. But they are usually the ones who respond with instant rudeness and attacks. If you don't agree, and can't show disagreement respectfully, I think it is better to move on and not say a word.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinion and their own things that work for them. I weigh in every Friday because that works for ME and I am now eating low carb because that works for ME! EVERY Saturday I have a cheat day. Last Saturday I ate pizza and ice cream and then went right back to my regularly scheduled program on Sunday. At my weigh in this week I Lost 6 pounds. Someone else doing the exact thing might have better/worse results than I. Please do not make assumptions that everyone is like you and that what you do will work for everyone! Just be happy you found what works for you and keep doing your thing! :drinker:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.

Um, no. Just no.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.
    Do what works for you. I think that for a lot of people, having days where they don't track calories, regardless of how much they eat, is a great idea. Restricting intake over long periods of time can have a detrimental effect on psychological health and not just because of physical deprivation. A lot of people find that constant calorie counting can lead them into problems with binge eating. Having days where they can be more flexible and relaxed is a good thing, even if it slows down their weight loss a little. Losing x amount of pounds per week, every week, isn't the most important thing for everyone.

I personally didn't have free days while I was losing. I just didn't need them, and I hate the terminology sometimes used (ie. "cheating"). Now I'm maintaining, I find it hard to be relaxed around food without calorie counting. I actually wish I'd had more "cheat" days (still wouldn't have called them that). I'm now trying to incorporate more days where I don't track, for my own sanity.

For me, having a calorie goal of 1200 is a HORRIBLE IDEA. Like I said, do what works for you.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I'm lucky enough not to have problems with binge eating or emotional eating (which I'm sure would make free days harder), and I find I eat a pretty normal amount, around 1800 calories, less than 2000. I'm sure I COULD eat more than 2000 with the right sort of food, but it wouldn't be a common happening.

Unfortunately, 1800 is a little over my TDEE, otherwise I wouldn't bother dieting and would make every day a free day! However, the occasional free day isn't going to slow my weight loss much.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people must instantly respond with attacks. Why would that be anyone's first response? I cannot get my head around it....

I literally did not see one single person respond with an "attack."

OP posted a rather strongly opinionated title "FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA" which many people on here disagreed with based on personal experience. Naturally, many who responded here are defensive and put off by the OP's accusations. They are simply trying to show her that her opinion isn't necessarily right. How is that attacking her?

An attack would be, "OP, you are an idiot. If you honestly think cheat meals are a bad idea you are not welcome here!!! what a stupid thing to say!!!! GET OUT WE HATE YOU!"

Sorry, I just think people are way too sensitive on these boards.

Anywho, I agree with most of what's been said - if cheat days don't work for you, OP, that's fine... but for many of us they work just fine. In fact, to many of us they aren't "cheat" days at all, because this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I also think these kinds of threads do more harm than good because as someone else mentioned, this is why we see threads all the time like "omg I binged and went 500 cals over my goal now I've ruined my hard work I give up :(" Because threads like these told people new to weight loss that cheat days are awful.

OP thinks that free days are a horrible idea. Is she not allowed her opinion? The first comment in was rather a rude one. So yeah. Anyhoo, YOU don't have to like it. Sure there are some hypersensitive people on these boards. But they are usually the ones who respond with instant rudeness and attacks. If you don't agree, and can't show disagreement respectfully, I think it is better to move on and not say a word.

because you are never oversensitive and always show disagreement respectfully, right?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The year I lost the majority of my weight was the same year that four of my friends had their weddings. Free days are how I ket my sanity through all the showers, parties, dinners, shopping trips, etc. that I attended. Because what's the point of losing weight if you've spiralled into a depression and driven away all your friends?
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that works for YOU. I eat more than your so called upped calorie day on a average day and still lose weight. I don't need cheat days cause I don't diet.

<3 this!! My sentiments exactly.
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    Rather than taking a free day, I might allow myself one free treat every few days... Anything can happen in a day! And given the opportinuty I will eat everything in sight!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Title: FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA

How can you determine that free days are a horrible idea in such a blanket stateement?. Yes, someone could 'undo' everything with one, but that assumes that the free day's calories outweigh their deficits for the rest of the week.

Example:

Maintenance = 2,500 calories
    Deficit x 6 days of 600 calories = 3,600
    So, you would have to eat over 6,100 calories on a free day to undo everything - that's a lot of food!.

Mental health is also important, so is adherence and actually living life.
  • slightlymad13
    Options
    I think for me its not that I plan cheat or free days as such....I just have days where I go over due to life! Like having social stuff, say a birthday or a day out with friends or something. And I guess I just figure that I want to be able to keep up this healthy eating plan (because I'm trying not to think of it as a diet) for life, and it is not possible to go through the whole of your life without ever going over 1600 cals (or whatever your daily calorie allowance is) and so I do let myself just enjoy without worrying about a calorie limit sometimes. I get the point that, depending how much you have, you can potentially end up eating back all the calories you've banked from the rest of the week. But this doesn't happen that often, and I think most of the time you think you've 'blown it' but when you actually add it up and put it in the context of the rest of the week its not normally as bad as you think. That's just me though...everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion, and ultimately everyone will find a way that works for them. I think the important thing is just to accept that these kind of days are going to happen sometimes, and just get straight back on it the next day! :-)
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options

thank you for putting us all under one big net. my daily calories are two of your normal days, and my free day is easily 5500-6000 calories. i have yet to have issues.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Everyone is different but whenever I was stuck in a rut, it seemed like I had a week where I didn't do well (vacation, conference, just not eating healthy). I would gain 2-3 lbs pretty quickly. Once I got serious the next week, I would shed those 2-3 lbs plus an extra one and it would keep me on track for another 3-4 weeks. So, don't be too quick to judge. What might work for you might work for others......it might not.
    Options
    Sorry OP. You didn't add enough fine print to satisfy those who refuse to do some thinking and concluding that you are not suggesting that every single person in the world do as you suggest. I actually understand that you are putting a suggestion out there for people who do run into this problem. People who don't run into this problem are apparently obligated by legal contact to stop by and burn you at the stake and accuse you of trying to take over the world.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm doing I eat at a deficit of a 1000 (-2lbs a week) as of now due to my bmi is high.

2500 my tdee
    -1000=1500

I add my consumed calories for the week on Saturday night after diary entry completion

1500 X 7= 10500
    10500- what ever my total calories is whatever I'm left with I eat
    For example my totals are 7945 so I'm gonna eat 2555 calories today but still make healthy choices because the risk of going back to old ways is not worth it!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. You didn't add enough fine print to satisfy those who refuse to do some thinking and concluding that you are not suggesting that every single person in the world do as you suggest. I actually understand that you are putting a suggestion out there for people who do run into this problem. People who don't run into this problem are apparently obligated by legal contact to stop by and burn you at the stake and accuse you of trying to take over the world.

Perhaps, you should let the OP speak for herself. She may or may not be offended. You shouldn't put words in other people's mouths.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Nice hyperbole
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Perhaps, you should let the OP speak for herself. She may or may not be offended. You shouldn't put words in other people's mouths.

That's okay. She's offended enough for everyone.
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options

tumblr_mdjtbmkjx61rp7g3w.gif
    Options
    Mallory, you seem to have made it your personal mission in life to patrol the boards righting injustice. That must be exhausting.

In the OP's defense, she did say "free day" -- a free for all. You could negate a week's worth of deficit in one day if you really went to town. A re-feed, on the other hand, is the best thing you can do for weight loss (and your sanity).

I understand that YOU think it's okay that the usual trolls go around and find reasons to create a hostile environment, but I don't think it's good for any one. Somehow, also, you think it's okay to think that I should not be allowed to speak in the forums? I hope you can take this opportunity to get over yourself. If people don't want to get called out for their constant unnecessary rudeness, then perhaps they should have a moment of pause before they start getting offended that someone might suggest something for people who may be interested.