FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    my "cheat day" always stays within my caloric intake... so I guess i dont need to worry about it.

"Cheat day"...I do not think this means what you think it means.

tumblr_lroen5OC4z1qhgr6oo1_400_zps6eb85476.gif
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    my "cheat day" always stays within my caloric intake... so I guess i dont need to worry about it.

"Cheat day"...I do not think it means what you think it means.

you're right... but i consider it fast food/eating out, much more high caloric food than i normally eat... most people consider it going over calories :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.

Good for you.

But for me, I continually lose body fat not worrying so much about things like this, and I eat 300 calories more than you on "non cheat" days, let alone those I do use as free days.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

"Cheat day"...I do not think it means what you think it means.

you're right... but i consider it fast food/eating out, much more high caloric food than i normally eat... most people consider it going over calories :)

Cheating on your nutritional goals is not the same as cheating on your weight loss goals. :flowerforyou:

You can have a high calorie day and still meet your nutritional needs. Most people seem to think that fast food doesn't have any protein or vitamins in it, and while some other food choices have more, just because McDonald's made it doesn't mean it's completely devoid of all nutrition.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people must instantly respond with attacks. Why would that be anyone's first response? I cannot get my head around it....
    Anyhoo, I tend not to do days where I allow myself things that I have cut out, because the things I have cut out were cut out because they make me feel crummy. I do eat what I really like and feel good eating daily. Of course, my idea of what is undeniably delicious may look different from someone else's , but it works rather well for me. I think you make a good point though. I have heard often people with cheat day remorse saying they wish they would have kept it small. Your idea will do many people good.

People do seem quite protective about their cheat days, but I can't be fussed about ruffling a few feathers.

If people look forward to, enjoy and get away with their cheat days - then that's their good luck.

At my weight and fitness level, with my metabolism - eating 5000 in one day would be a big set back. I've only got 3 lbs to go - I'm 5'5", 131 lbs, lift weight regularly, and do a lot of other exercise - my body fights me on every single ounce!

Look Mallory, the OP wasn't all that offended. Perhaps you owe everyone an apology?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you regularly treat yourself to a "free day," just once - eat as you like, but still calculate the calories you're consuming on that day. It may shock you - you can EASILY undo an entire week's worth of work in one free day, or even one free meal.

Instead, 1-2 days per week, I increase my net calorie goal to 1,500. It's just enough to help me stay in line at 1,200 most of the time.
    That's very strange... because I have a free day every single Friday, where I regularly consume anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 calories... and I've lost 77 lbs. And continue to lose.

According to you I'm a liar. How dare you.

If you can get away with it, you're lucky. I'd be delighted to be a liar if it allowed me an extra 6,000 calories.

6,000 calories is assuming that their TDEE is zero. It's the amount above maintenance that counts - and really only if it erases your deficit for the week.

Take the 3,000 as the example to include context - your maintenance should be somewhere around the 1,800 - 2,000 - that's a 1,000 - 1,200 surplus. That will only undo what you have done if your deficit is only about 200 a day for the rest of the week.

Also, as you are trying to lose the last couple of pounds then is may be a bad idea for *you*. Not everyone is in that situation.

Context.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 to 2000 a day so I guess every day is a cheat day!!!:)

If you can get away with it, you're lucky. If I tried that, I'd be huge.

Not sure why. We are the same age and when I cut (bulking now) I was 148lb (so a little heavier and therefore can eat a little more) and I lift weights. I maintain on more than that. Have you checked for any metabolic issues?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've always thought the idea of a free day was a mechanism to relieve the psychological pressures of dieting (there are some physiological benefits but they are routinely overstated in my view.)

So, you eat at maintenance or a maximum of 10-20% above and incorporate foods you otherwise wouldn't during the diet section of the week.

I don't think it's meant to be a free for all to see how much food you can hoover up in 24hrs. That sounds a bit counter productive.
  • morgennn
    morgennn Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So is typing in all caps but I can see by your topic title you did that.

I laughed
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

That's very strange... because I have a free day every single Friday, where I regularly consume anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 calories... and I've lost 77 lbs. And continue to lose.

According to you I'm a liar. How dare you.

If you can get away with it, you're lucky. I'd be delighted to be a liar if it allowed me an extra 6,000 calories.

6,000 calories is assuming that their TDEE is zero. It's the amount above maintenance that counts - and really only if it erases your deficit for the week.

Take the 3,000 as the example to include context - your maintenance should be somewhere around the 1,800 - 2,000 - that's a 1,000 - 1,200 surplus. That will only undo what you have done if your deficit is only about 200 a day for the rest of the week.

Also, as you are trying to lose the last couple of pounds then is may be a bad idea for *you*. Not everyone is in that situation.

Context.
    Exactly, I still have a calorie deficit at the end of the week with that single 6,000 calorie splurge. With 9.3 lbs left before my goal I'm not in a race anymore - more like a light stroll. I'm more focused on shedding excess body fat than seeing the scale move at this point.
  • Jezzwalker
    Jezzwalker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    agreed i am not on a diet, i am making a life style change for the better..
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have 2k+ calories left in my week, and I plant to eat them today. I imagine I won't suffer a set back, since I'll be within my weekly calories.

Then again that might mean it's not actually a cheat day
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Lol. I eat like 1800 cal/day so everyday is a cheat day compared to you. I have gone wayyyyy over my calorie goal from time to time and still lost weight.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mj411sAZqm1qz4rgp.gif
    Agree with the above
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Why not set some limits to the "cheat" day? Rather than eat everything in sight, just up your intake max from your deficit?

I am on a 900 calorie a day deficit right now. For me, a cheat day means I will not have the full 900+ calorie deficit. I may only have 200-300, or none if I go really crazy. It doesn't undo a thing because I at my absolute worst on a "cheat" day, I will eat enough to maintain my current weight. The deficit continues the very next day.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I don't get why people must instantly respond with attacks. Why would that be anyone's first response? I cannot get my head around it....
    Anyhoo, I tend not to do days where I allow myself things that I have cut out, because the things I have cut out were cut out because they make me feel crummy. I do eat what I really like and feel good eating daily. Of course, my idea of what is undeniably delicious may look different from someone else's , but it works rather well for me. I think you make a good point though. I have heard often people with cheat day remorse saying they wish they would have kept it small. Your idea will do many people good.

People do seem quite protective about their cheat days, but I can't be fussed about ruffling a few feathers.

If people look forward to, enjoy and get away with their cheat days - then that's their good luck.

At my weight and fitness level, with my metabolism - eating 5000 in one day would be a big set back. I've only got 3 lbs to go - I'm 5'5", 131 lbs, lift weight regularly, and do a lot of other exercise - my body fights me on every single ounce!

Except that I'm not convinced it's entirely luck.

ETA: And what's your plan when you hit your GW in 3 pounds?

When I hit my goal weight in 3 lbs, I want to keep adding weight at the gym without adding weight at the scales, to keep getting stronger, but without getting any bigger. I don't want to weigh less than 128 - I start to look sick.
  • summerluvinfit
    summerluvinfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal every weekend... I still try to stay within a reasonable calorie range but don't count the carbs or fat of the meal... I have been losing steadily at least 2 lbs per week for the past 2.5 months with no plateaus so far ... they can work.. they do for me... it hasn't undone any of my work so far :) in fact I think they help me out a lot!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    No, Crystal Pepsi was a horrible idea.
    crystalpep.jpg

Except, this guy doesn't agree, but who cares what he thinks?!
    dnc-crystal-pepsi.jpg

Diet Crystal Pepsi was the bomb. Vanilla-y, gingery yumminess! My husband has said for decades that the one way to kill a product is for me to like it. :laugh:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Diet Crystal Pepsi was the bomb. Vanilla-y, gingery yumminess! My husband has said for decades that the one way to kill a product is for me to like it. :laugh:
    Stay. Away. From the new peanut butter PopTarts.

Please.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In 80 days, I've gone over the 2,000-calorie mark 12 times. I've lost 22 pounds in that time. One day, I ate 7 KIND bars (dark chocolate with sea salt). Look at your food diary and look at your results. If what you're doing works for you, and you're not eating unhealthily more than occasionally, there's no problem.