Food that makes you feel terrible.

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
Does anyone have foods that they cannot eat because it just makes you feel rotten? I have some that I avoid for this reason. I may find myself with a heart rate that is both hard and fast after eating certain things, also I may get a tremble going on in my fingers. I will be tired feeling. Kind of Wired but tired I guess is a good way of describing it? Who else avoids certain foods because of discomforts like this that follow?

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The more healthy I am, the more I want to avoid stuff high in sugar. And McDonalds. Also alcohol (not a food, and also quite an obvious thing!). But I say these things because I had a drunken night out recently which involved a lot of alcohol, sugary cocktails and a 3am takeaway. Although I wasn't as hungover as I have been in the past, it just left me feeling awful for ages. Stomach aches and headaches and a massive spot breakout!
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yup.. i have to avoid most fast food. My stomach cannot handle the fat content. So if I want cheeseburgers, I have to make them at home with lean gr. beef.. which is really fine with me because it tastes better anyway.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Anything containing wheat.. So that pretty much rules out bread, pastries, many breakfast cereals, pie, cake, cookies,crackers the BEST gravy (cornstarch gravies are YUCK), most beef stews, pizza, pasta, pretzels, wheat germ, bran muffins, most meatloafs, most meatballs. Yeah, basically all of my favorite things!

I am NOT celiac.. I can have gluten from barley and no problem.. it's something else in the wheat that gets me and makes me feel bad in my belly.. and if I eat it for a few days in a row.. my joints start to inflame with unbearable pain. Also It gives me reflux.. I used to blame fatty foods and dairy, but I had no idea it was the wheat!

I guess it's a blessing in diguise since most of the wheat containing foods are foods are the ones that I overate on and helped me get so fat in the first place...Maybe that's why I'm intolerent now? Maybe my body just OD'd on wheat and now it's rejecting it. Who knows... all I know is that I feel SO MUCH BETTER with out it.. until I gave it up, I never even realized how bad I felt!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Almost all chain restaurants, namely Red Robin, P. F. Chang's, Applebee's, IHOP, Old Chicago, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and Chili's. Not only do I feel like absolute *kitten* after eating there, my tastes have changes so much that rarely do I even enjoy any part of the meal I get, leaving me with the thought "Why did I even spend money on this crap that makes me feel awful?"

Lose-lose situation. Suffice it to say we rarely if ever go out to eat anymore.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Anything containing wheat.. So that pretty much rules out bread, pastries, many breakfast cereals, pie, cake, cookies,crackers the BEST gravy (cornstarch gravies are YUCK), most beef stews, pizza, pasta, pretzels, wheat germ, bran muffins, most meatloafs, most meatballs. Yeah, basically all of my favorite things!

I am NOT celiac.. I can have gluten from barley and no problem.. it's something else in the wheat that gets me and makes me feel bad in my belly.. and if I eat it for a few days in a row.. my joints start to inflame with unbearable pain. Also It gives me reflux.. I used to blame fatty foods and dairy, but I had no idea it was the wheat!

I guess it's a blessing in diguise since most of the wheat containing foods are foods are the ones that I overate on and helped me get so fat in the first place...Maybe that's why I'm intolerent now? Maybe my body just OD'd on wheat and now it's rejecting it. Who knows... all I know is that I feel SO MUCH BETTER with out it.. until I gave it up, I never even realized how bad I felt!

Funny about wheat, I find that certain things seem to be big offenders. Biscuits, and bread in general, seem to give me heart burn. I made some awesome dinner rolls a few weeks ago, and after I ate one or two, my stomach was just on fire. I was doing anything I could think of to tame the burning. Oddly, pancakes, muffins, regular cake, don't seem to have that effect. Yes they will cause me other discomforts, but the heart burn seems to be dependent upon the wheat product.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pizza rolls :I
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything that tastes bad.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    sugar alcohols....
    not sugar and alcohol but "sugar alcohols"
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have an iron stomach. Food never makes me feel sick, nor does too much alcohol. I am relentlessly healthy, haha. I don't get sick when I eat unusual food traveling (drank tap water in Africa, even), and my body seems equally happy with a Big Mac as with organic vegetables. No allergies, no intolerances. It's lucky but it's also not great for weight loss/a healthy lifestyle.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have an iron stomach. Food never makes me feel sick, nor does too much alcohol. I am relentlessly healthy, haha. I don't get sick when I eat unusual food traveling (drank tap water in Africa, even), and my body seems equally happy with a Big Mac as with organic vegetables. No allergies, no intolerances. It's lucky but it's also not great for weight loss/a healthy lifestyle.

go eat a pack of sugar free candy and tell me how iron your stomach really is.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

go eat a pack of sugar free candy and tell me how iron your stomach really is.

I do it frequently. Also Coke Zero, baked goods with Splenda, and sugar-free Starbucks syrup in my Americanos.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Not really. But my 2000 calorie lunch is making me lazy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    aspartame and sweet peppers (aka capsicum). aspartame gives me similar symptoms to what some people get from lactose intolerance, so I suppose I must be intolerant to aspartame. sweet peppers I'm fine with if they're cooked, but raw they give me the most horrible stomach pains, but without any other symptoms, just a lot of pain. weird. Other members of my family have issues with these things so I guess it's genetic.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Poutine
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't like fast food, it always makes me feel horrible. The worst is Chinese food. I avoid it usually, but on the rare occasion I eat it I feel really ill. Too much sugary stuff makes me feel awful too, like I need to drink pints of water.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not much makes me sick per say but some foods give me acid reflux, like high salt foods or foods high in citric acid like grapefruit. But I have noticed that certain foods cause me to gain easier than others. If I eat peanut butter I am easily up a pound or 2 the next day, and although I am not gluton intolerant I do get very bloated and uncomfortable when I eat a lot of high carb foods.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Red meat, citrus fruits, iceberg lettuce, flavored water, onions, peppers, spicy foods, cows milk. All triggers for my digestive issues.

Oh and most raw vegetables
  • Jesseloumil
    Jesseloumil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mc Donalds!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Greasy food for sure. I can handle some stuff like burgers, but not when you get into the big fat greasy ones. For example, I can handle a Big Mac but not a double from Wendy's. More meat on Wendy's and less lettuce and bread. I definitely struggle with fried chicken. I can eat a little but more than say one piece and I'll be sick. It's just too greasy. My body essentially is rejecting this food.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    fresh pineapple. I adore it, but the stomach gas isn't worth it.