Cannot eat past 1,000cals

Options

Replies

• leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's great you are drinking a lot of water.
    You have to think like this about food. You CANNOT drive a car without fuel. It can only go so far on fumes and it gives out. You might even break something because you pushed the car too far. The same goes for your body. I used to have a hate-love relationship with my food. Then, I found that some foods worked well and others were awful. Listen to your body. This is the only body you get. Treat it well, you'll feel better and live longer. Treat it like crap, get unwanted results. Hope you do well in whatever decision you make.
  • happymrsmama
    Options
    Personally, I don't see a problem with not eating past 1000 cals.
    However, I am a former anorexic who has some serious issues with food and numbers.

I would suggest meeting with a dietitian. Do you have health insurance? It might cover an appointment to go over some nutritional needs. From looking at your diary, I am concerned about your lack of protein (for starters). Try getting in some more protein (cheese, peanut butter, meats, etc), and that will help up your calories. Maybe some protein shakes?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that's true. If you look at all the research on the IF diet, you will see many people believe that low calories, skipping meals, etc is a recipe for disaster. Modern day wants you to eat 5-6 meals a day with increased protein even though it's proven that too much protein is not necessarily a good thing for your liver and kidneys. I too have a hard time taking in enough calories if I try to eat "right" and limit simple carbs, sugar, and fats. If you look at my diary you make think I also have an issue with food and need to see a psychiatrist. That's not the case. I have a medical condition which prevents me from taking in a lot of food at one time. So therefore I would have to take in high calorie foods or snack constantly to achieve an adequate amt of calories a day. My goal is to teach myself not to take in all these high calorie foods and to only eat when hungry and not when everyone else is eating. Many of us could seem to have some issue with food or else we would not plan social life around food all the time. So ask questions, give advice but try not to accuse if you're not sure what's actually going on.

But with IF you do eat a healthy number of calories, it just limits the window for eating them. Even if you do 5:2, you're supposed to net your goal for the week, you just have two very low days and five higher ones.

What the OP is doing is under-eating all the time.

Also dietary fat is fine.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Sanitarium_Natur_4dce2327c337f.jpg

ist2_2890967_spoon.jpg
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Your meals look more like snacks.

I eat triple what you're eating on a daily basis.

More protein. More good fats.

That'll bump up the cals with no problem.

You HAVE to be hungry.

Don't do this to yourself.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    A banana is not lunch. You're choosing low cal foods, that's your problem. Have toast, peanut butter etc. if you seriously can't eat past 100 calories then go to a doctor.

You edited that quickly didn't you.
  • happymrsmama
    Options
    this has troll thread or eating disorder written all over it...

Yes, some of what she says is indicative of EDs, but your comment is slightly less than useless. Maybe suggest some helpful ideas for her?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I cannot seem to eat past 1000 or so calories

I assume you're looking for weight-gain strategies then, yes?

Because if you can't eat more than 1000 calories a day then there's no possible way you're overweight.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think what makes this even MORE difficult to justify is that you seem to exercise a lot, as well. And, from your pictures it doesn't look like you can have that much to lose- definitely concerning that you are doing more damage to yourself than good, and although in other posts you've talked about how much you've lost already it seems like you're lack of food consumption/exercise/etc is lining you up for an eating disorder.

Listen to what everyone has to say and really attempt to add higher calorie foods, protein, and balanced meals into your diet ASAP and check in with a doctor....you're young, don't let whatever is fueling this get out of control.
  • lholstein58
    Options
    Cn you give me some suggestions on what I should be eating for my meals I am very busy, up and down the stairs several times. Dy, wAlking my dogs 3-4 times a dy, plus either Zumba or Jazzercise for an hour Nd sometimes walking for an horror bike riding.. I need to loose 10 pounds for health reAsons..I LOVE my protein as well!! I'm open for any suggestions from anyone!!!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that's true. If you look at all the research on the IF diet, you will see many people believe that low calories, skipping meals, etc is a recipe for disaster. Modern day wants you to eat 5-6 meals a day with increased protein even though it's proven that too much protein is not necessarily a good thing for your liver and kidneys. I too have a hard time taking in enough calories if I try to eat "right" and limit simple carbs, sugar, and fats. If you look at my diary you make think I also have an issue with food and need to see a psychiatrist. That's not the case. I have a medical condition which prevents me from taking in a lot of food at one time. So therefore I would have to take in high calorie foods or snack constantly to achieve an adequate amt of calories a day. My goal is to teach myself not to take in all these high calorie foods and to only eat when hungry and not when everyone else is eating. Many of us could seem to have some issue with food or else we would not plan social life around food all the time. So ask questions, give advice but try not to accuse if you're not sure what's actually going on.
    I know you don't know anything about IF because IF isn't a diet. Diet implies a structure of what to eat or not to eat. Intermittent Fasting is about eating windows and has nothing to do with diet. It's very hard to do damage to the liver and kidneys with too much protein, but even water in great excess is poison. If you look at IF research you can also see that groups fed the exact same amount of calories had different results where the group who fasted gained muscle and lost fat where the other group did not.

Be fair and give both sides and not just what works for you. I'm not a hard core intermittent faster nor paleo or anything like that... but just because you eat 5-6 small meals a day doesn't mean that others have to either.
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    Bacon.

Edited to also suggest dark beers.
  • flutterbye811
    Options
    Cn you give me some suggestions on what I should be eating for my meals I am very busy, up and down the stairs several times. Dy, wAlking my dogs 3-4 times a dy, plus either Zumba or Jazzercise for an hour Nd sometimes walking for an horror bike riding.. I need to loose 10 pounds for health reAsons..I LOVE my protein as well!! I'm open for any suggestions from anyone!!!

Can you open your diary so we can see where you're starting? :)

Also, a good thing would be to make a meal in bulk and portion it out for the week. Skinnytaste.com and Cookinglight.com have a lot of great recipes.
  • flutterbye811
    Options
    Bacon.

Edited to also suggest dark beers.

fantastic suggestions! :)
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I don't know what you're eating now, as your diary is locked to private; but I would suggest increasing your protein intake since you're quite active. Meat, fish, soy products, eggs, avocado, cheese, yogurt, and nuts. It's probably easy to keep trail mix or mixed nuts with you when walking your dogs. You can also consider healthy shakes after Zumba or Jazzercise.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this has troll thread or eating disorder written all over it...

Yes, some of what she says is indicative of EDs, but your comment is slightly less than useless. Maybe suggest some helpful ideas for her?

I am not going to give advice in a troll thread as that would be a waste of my time..but here is my suggestion eat more and OP if you can't find a way to eat more than 1000 cals a day, seek help ASAP..

better?

Oh, and I breathlessly await your contribution to this thread...
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I do not understand this, Peanut Butter has almost 200 calories for 2 TBSP!! Add that to your banana apples whatever!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful girl and want to take good care of yourself so you will stay that way. Your current way of eating WILL destroy your metabolism and make it very hard to maintain your desired weight in the future. Learn what you can now so you don't have to diet and fight weight gain your whole life.
    It looks to me like maybe your not much of a cook or don't have time to cook, maybe I am wrong, but it sort of looks that way by your food diary. There are lots of really nutritious foods that you don't have to cook and you can find them in the produce aisle.
    You could add hummus to your naan, or dip it with carrots and pepper slices.You could top your naan with refired beans. Add peanut butter on your banana, or cheese with your tomatoes. All non cooking, fast options.
    Consider trying yogurt, cheese sticks, nuts, oatmeal, frozen precooked chicken strips, or even canned beef, chicken, turkey, or fish. Again all non cooking fast options for adding good protein and nutrients, easy to mix into rice for added protein and calories.
    It is really yummy to add fresh or frozen fruit to yogurt with some nuts and oatmeal.
    If you really just like having those small meals, then plan to have one every three hours throughout the day so you can get more nutrients in. It can be expensive but maybe you should consider adding some protein powder if it's to hard for you to eat much meat.
    Don't be afraid of food, you want to fuel your body to be strong and healthy. There is a big difference in eating what ever you want, and fueling your body with healthy balanced meals to sustain you. It takes planning and being accountable to yourself because you deserve that investment in yourself.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people who say they are too full to eat 1200 calories a day. How did they come to have a weight problem? I know I didn't get fat by sticking to a low calorie diet.
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people who say they are too full to eat 1200 calories a day. How did they come to have a weight problem? I know I didn't get fat by sticking to a low calorie diet.

I don't know about everyone else, but my problem was binge eating, and not eating regularly when I was in my early 20's. It's totally mucked up my metabolism, hence the weight gain.