Calling all Coke Zero drinkers...

Options
Now i know what your thinking, Not another diet Drink post!

So the last month or two I have started drinking Coke zero more than normal, I figure that I ALWAYS Want something sweet after lunch and by having a coke Zero I find my sweet craving is Cured and it also stops me from eating just for the sake of eating all for like 2 cals!

Yes i understand that the sweeteners etc aren't good for you and there is no way I'm Claiming they are.

Then Yesterday A girl I know was trying to tell me that Coke Zero has chemicals in it that stall weight loss or can cause weight gain.

How can something with 2 cals per can cause weight gain?

I did some research and The only thing I could find was that The sweeteners can Cause people to over eat, I couldn't find anything to say that Coke zero its self will make you gain weight!

Then I realized that since i have started drinking it I haven't lost any weight! I'm not sure if its me being Paranoid, its the coke zero Or its because I'm almost at my goal and My weight loss has slowed.

Has anyone Here lost weight etc while drinking Diet Drinks? Can anyone explain Why she is trying to tell me this?

Replies

• ducktasim
    ducktasim Posts: 13
    Options
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/02/15/how-diet-soda-makes-you-fat-and-other-food-and-diet-industry-secrets/#close

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/31/do-you-have-a-dirty-little-dietary-secret-and-is-it-called-diet-coke/

I fought cancer for roughly a total of 8 years, and my doctors said to NEVER drink diet drinks, for many reasons really.

If you feel like soda as a pick me up, I recommend having full soda, at wollies and coles you will find small coke bottles like 300 ml,
    you get your hit, it is strange to say but the lesser evil, i have lost weight while still occasionally drinking in these amounts..

Good luck, coke was my life force for a long time lols

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 300 ml

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 1
    Calories 116

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.06g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 13mg 1%
    Potassium 6mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30.06g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 28.21g
    Protein 0.22g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 2%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/02/15/how-diet-soda-makes-you-fat-and-other-food-and-diet-industry-secrets/#close

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/31/do-you-have-a-dirty-little-dietary-secret-and-is-it-called-diet-coke/

I fought cancer for roughly a total of 8 years, and my doctors said to NEVER drink diet drinks, for many reasons really.

If you feel like soda as a pick me up, I recommend having full soda, at wollies and coles you will find small coke bottles like 300 ml,
    you get your hit, it is strange to say but the lesser evil, i have lost weight while still occasionally drinking in these amounts..

Good luck, coke was my life force for a long time lols

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 300 ml

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 1
    Calories 116

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.06g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 13mg 1%
    Potassium 6mg
    Total Carbohydrate 30.06g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 28.21g
    Protein 0.22g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 2%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18
    Our bodies aren't meant to take in artificial sweeteners. Well our bodies are also not meant to take medication (like taking life saving antibiotics when septic, insulin injections for diabetics, chemo for cancer patients) or have surgery to correct heart problems, or to replace damaged/failing organs, etc. 

I'm sticking with my awesome artificial stuff. Scientists are smart and I've never gotten sick from eating processed/artificially made food. The earth produces tons of different toxic plants. That being said, I still eat some of the non toxic foods created by the earth. I just also eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, etc. 

There is no benefit to cutting out processed foods. IIFYM then eat it.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i used to drink a fair bit of diet coke, but found that when i switched to soda water i got less cravings for sweet things in general, my tastes totally changed. if i have diet coke now it just tastes weird.

im not claiming any science, but i definitely credit the switch to soda water as helping me change my eating habits and keep on track with my diet.

(i still eat chocolate and lollies and cake, but not so much, and not so often, and not just at the behest of a craving).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://thebodyevolutionreport.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/aspartame-and-sucralose-youre-on-trial.html

cliffs: unless you have Phenylketonuria and you are not drinking litres and litres per day, don't worry about it. Your weight loss plateau is coincidental.

However, don't give your pet rats diet coke as they "may" get cancer :laugh:
  • antoniopolatty
    antoniopolatty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take any one person's opinion on this subject as gospel.. you're best bet is to research the ingredients on your own. Try to balance the sources between the activist sites and government or medical research sites. Aspartame is extremely controversial and there is a lot of information out there regarding it. On the other hand, high fructose corn syrup is generally made from genetically modified corn, which also causes quite a stir. You really need to find your personal comfort zone on these subjects. I think it's best to keep it as natural as possible myself. However our bodies are very resilient and I believe that if the majority of your diet is wholesome and balanced alongside an active lifestyle you'll probably be just fine with some questionable intake. Good luck!
  • tra428
    tra428 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do like my Coke Zero but as another poster mentioned, I realized it was triggering some bad eating behaviour and really increasing my junk food cravings. I drink club soda with lots of fresh citrus and it's awesome and refreshing and goes great with a salty snack like popcorn or what not! I just don't binge as hard. Keep fighting the good fight.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't care for diet sodas unless they have Captain Morgan in them :wink: but I use artificial sweeteners in lots of things like coffee, tea, oatmeal, cereal and I have for years...I'm still alive and pretty healthy.
  • Krobelus
    Krobelus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight.. also goes with sugar too much sugar can cause you diseases like obesity which is also one of the risk factors of diabetes milletus..so most doctors recommend sugar substitute but be careful with too much sugar substitute too it can cause too much potassium - potassium also can give you heart dysrythmias if taken too much.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it has 0 caleries= how does it have 2 caleries when its called coke zero- wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all diet pop has 0 cals
    and fake sugar
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Verdict

Vanderbilt University explains that diet soda will not directly cause weight gain but drinking diet soda may make you susceptible to weight gain. Vanderbilt notes that clinical studies have drawn mixed conclusions regarding the effect of diet soda and weight gain. Individual responses between diet soda and hunger vary greatly. A 2010 study in the "Yale Journal of Biology Medicine" reported a positive association between weight gain and diet soda consumption in adolescent boys. If you drink diet soda in moderation or sparingly and it does not prompt any changes in your dietary habits, it is unlikely to cause any weight gain. If it causes you to crave high fat and sugary foods, such as ice cream and doughnuts, and you indulge regularly, you will likely gain weight.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/414985-do-diet-sodas-make-you-gain-weight/#ixzz2TEtHZScK
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    the aspertame chemical in diet drinks increases appetite its a nasty chemical also linked with some forms of cancer as well I am a sprite zero drinker but have tried to wean myself off of it because of the known chemical aspertame is in alot of so called diet items you are better off having real sugar instead of aspertame in my opinion
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    double
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight..

OT but sodium does not hinder FAT loss. It can mask it on the scales temporarily.
    the aspertame chemical in diet drinks increases appetite its a nasty chemical also linked with some forms of cancer

if you are a rat.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    it has 0 caleries= how does it have 2 caleries when its called coke zero- wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all diet pop has 0 cals
    and fake sugar

If you read the back of a bottle of coke zero it says 2 cals.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight.. also goes with sugar too much sugar can cause you diseases like obesity which is also one of the risk factors of diabetes milletus..so most doctors recommend sugar substitute but be careful with too much sugar substitute too it can cause too much potassium - potassium also can give you heart dysrythmias if taken too much.

36 mg of sodium in the can in my hand, that doesn't seem like a lot to me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained any weight drinking coke zero. It doesn't make me feel hungier, but I know some people say diet cokes have that effect on them.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    I think it is said to result in metabolic syndrome. I read this in a magazine two months ago and saw it online by coincidence on two reputable sites by experts. I am trying to wean from it, but I do allow one a day. I am thinking (like you) that you need to choose your poison. That is, if you HAVE to have something sweet after lunch, it is probably better to have a Coke Zero than a cookie for weight loss. I think in moderation you are fine.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

36 mg of sodium in the can in my hand, that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Yea it's low sodium, if you want to talk sodium read a can of beans wooooww
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    like i said it doesn't cause me to over eat, If anything it stops me from over eating.

I drink 1.5+ liters of water a day on top on a can of coke zero.

Shouldn't be a problem then?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight..

OT but sodium does not hinder FAT loss. It can mask it on the scales temporarily.
    the aspertame chemical in diet drinks increases appetite its a nasty chemical also linked with some forms of cancer

if you are a rat.

I actually am a rat! ahaha :laugh: