Calling all Coke Zero drinkers...

Options

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Threads like these really provide a strong case for the need to teach logic in schools. You people do understand that the plural of anecdote is not data right?

No one is claiming that drinking diet drinks will mean that you can't lose weight. But there is evidence to suggest that for SOME people it will hinder weight loss. Just like SOME people will get lung cancer from smoking a pack a day while others will die healthy at 95 of old age. Statistics are not absolutes, they are just indications of risk. Even on the lottery someone wins.

I think the thing about the calorie count is to do with labeling laws in different countries. There are rules about how low something has to be before you can label it zero calories. Also the formula for coke zero is different in different countries according to the coke bigwig that I asked. I noticed that in Australia I much prefer diet coke whereas in Japan I prefer coke zero (luckily since there's no choice any more).

I love coke zero and I allow it as a treat but I don't try to fool myself that something that choc full of chemicals is not bad for me.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    the reason it's different is because in the US anything less than 5cals can be labelled as zero, just like all your cooking sprays.

Australia is just a little bit more accurate :laugh:

And that's why we overtook you guys as the most obese country in the world :tongue:

Woop Australia for the win!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    i drink 3-7 cans a day

dude.
    look.
    at.
    your.
    obliques.
    omg.
    :laugh:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight.. also goes with sugar too much sugar can cause you diseases like obesity which is also one of the risk factors of diabetes milletus..so most doctors recommend sugar substitute but be careful with too much sugar substitute too it can cause too much potassium - potassium also can give you heart dysrythmias if taken too much.

As a nursing student who has just community and leadership left I will tell you that only applies to the most extreme situations.
    proper renal function, adequate water will autoregulate the amount of electrolytes in the system. this applies to potassium and sodium being flushed out of the system

Obesity is not caused by sugar, it is caused by prolonged hypercaloric diet.
    Are you aware that people on a hypocaloric/isocaloric have a much better sugar control over people who are hypercaloric?

You do realize you are stating the most extreme cases where they do not have proper renal function.

Even then nursing nutrition is very outdated and the nutritional classes we have to take are still talking about multiple meals a day for weight loss
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Threads like these really provide a strong case for the need to teach logic in schools. You people do understand that the plural of anecdote is not data right?

No one is claiming that drinking diet drinks will mean that you can't lose weight. But there is evidence to suggest that for SOME people it will hinder weight loss. Just like SOME people will get lung cancer from smoking a pack a day while others will die healthy at 95 of old age. Statistics are not absolutes, they are just indications of risk. Even on the lottery someone wins.

I think the thing about the calorie count is to do with labeling laws in different countries. There are rules about how low something has to be before you can label it zero calories. Also the formula for coke zero is different in different countries according to the coke bigwig that I asked. I noticed that in Australia I much prefer diet coke whereas in Japan I prefer coke zero (luckily since there's no choice any more).

I love coke zero and I allow it as a treat but I don't try to fool myself that something that choc full of chemicals is not bad for me.

Well actually there is people claiming that it does! that why I'm asking

I'm not saying it not bad for me either, I'm purely asking if it will stop me from loosing weight.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    From my perspective as a nursing graduate..if you check on the nutrition label sodium and sugar has the highest numbers.sodium causes water retention specially to us dieters who tends to drink alot of water and can make you gain weight.. also goes with sugar too much sugar can cause you diseases like obesity which is also one of the risk factors of diabetes milletus..so most doctors recommend sugar substitute but be careful with too much sugar substitute too it can cause too much potassium - potassium also can give you heart dysrythmias if taken too much.

As a nursing student who has just community and leadership left I will tell you that only applies to the most extreme situations.
    proper renal function, adequate water will autoregulate the amount of electrolytes in the system. this applies to potassium and sodium being flushed out of the system

Are you aware that people on a hypocaloric/isocaloric have a much better sugar control over people who are hypercaloric?

You do realize you are stating the most extreme cases where they do not have proper renal function.

Even then nursing nutrition is very outdated and the nutritional classes we have to take are still talking about multiple meals a day for weight loss

mind=blown :ohwell:
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday and have done for most of my life (yes I realise the health implications of this yadayadayada) but recently decided I wanted to lose weight and get fitter and have lost over 5kg in 4 weeks and the weight has consistently kept coming off, I have also gained muscle and have improved fitness. Diet drinks have had no negative affect on my weight loss at all.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    u like that?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday and have done for most of my life (yes I realise the health implications of this yadayadayada) but recently decided I wanted to lose weight and get fitter and have lost over 5kg in 4 weeks and the weight has consistently kept coming off, I have also gained muscle and have improved fitness. Diet drinks have had no negative affect on my weight loss at all.

Yess!! Another comment i love to hear! :drinker:

Good job btw!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

mind=blown :ohwell:

Too many people use the term ADN, BSN, or RN as a form of knowledge over nutrition for the regular person... including diet and exercise. While I do look over research articles and scholarly journals in regards to nutrition, my college major does not affect my knowledge over nutrition of a healthy individual
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @Pearlyladybug thanks! :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sorry but based on your weak anecdotal experience.

My personal continuation of weight loss.

And the lack of peer-reviewed evidence.

I shall continue drinking diet soda.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" -Christopher Hitchens
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    it has 0 caleries= how does it have 2 caleries when its called coke zero- wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all diet pop has 0 cals
    and fake sugar

Diet Coke also has 2 calories. The Zero is not for calories, it's Zero SUGAR.

Personally I had a huge Diet Coke addiction. I have tried and tried to kick it and every single time it's crept it's way back into my diet. At the moment I'm 1.5 weeks off the stuff and I feel better. I was drinking masses of it though and eating heaps of sugary and salty stuff along with it.

I personally don't think that a small amount is terrible, however I will let you know that I have fatty changes in my liver - there have been links between artificial sweeteners and liver changes/damage. I think if you're drinking small amounts it's not an issue. But if you are replacing sugar then I recommend going with plant-derived natural sweetenersxylitol, stevia or agave rather than aspartame or phenylalanine.

In this case the Zero Is for zero calories, as that's how they advertise it on the Coke site =)http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/products/coca-cola-zero#nutrition

Either way I totally agree with you about small amounts not being terrible. I've never tried stevia, but use agave once in a while and it's a good sweetener.

werid

f3b88dcf-bdcf-4a18-916f-00bd486a2467_zps1edadbce.jpg
    2f0417e5-35c1-4fa7-9e3e-258b4de6bce9_zpscafe8e39.jpg

That is so wild! I wonder why it's different there?? That's it, I am going to start adding 2 Calories to my food list when I have a Coke Zero, just in case. I wonder if that 0 calorie Mio water enhancers are the same?

By law any food that is under 5 cals can label its contents as 0 cals.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    it has 0 caleries= how does it have 2 caleries when its called coke zero- wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all diet pop has 0 cals
    and fake sugar

Diet Coke also has 2 calories. The Zero is not for calories, it's Zero SUGAR.

Personally I had a huge Diet Coke addiction. I have tried and tried to kick it and every single time it's crept it's way back into my diet. At the moment I'm 1.5 weeks off the stuff and I feel better. I was drinking masses of it though and eating heaps of sugary and salty stuff along with it.

I personally don't think that a small amount is terrible, however I will let you know that I have fatty changes in my liver - there have been links between artificial sweeteners and liver changes/damage. I think if you're drinking small amounts it's not an issue. But if you are replacing sugar then I recommend going with plant-derived natural sweetenersxylitol, stevia or agave rather than aspartame or phenylalanine.

In this case the Zero Is for zero calories, as that's how they advertise it on the Coke site =)http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/products/coca-cola-zero#nutrition

Either way I totally agree with you about small amounts not being terrible. I've never tried stevia, but use agave once in a while and it's a good sweetener.

werid

f3b88dcf-bdcf-4a18-916f-00bd486a2467_zps1edadbce.jpg
    2f0417e5-35c1-4fa7-9e3e-258b4de6bce9_zpscafe8e39.jpg

That is so wild! I wonder why it's different there?? That's it, I am going to start adding 2 Calories to my food list when I have a Coke Zero, just in case. I wonder if that 0 calorie Mio water enhancers are the same?

By law any food that is under 5 cals can label its contents as 0 cals.

Not in Australia though, USA yes.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've drunk coke zero from day one of my journey here...... I guess then I have not lost all that weight. Some people believe any BS they are told.

*facepalm* We're not saying it inhibits weight loss completely. But there is evidence to suggest it can slow it, particularly if drinking it makes you crave (then eat) sweet foods.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 to 5 cans of diet soda a day.

So, yeah.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    i drink 3-7 cans a day

dude.
    look.
    at.
    your.
    obliques.
    omg.
    There we have it, folks! Coke zero causes you to get shredded. Drink up :drinker:
  • Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    if you stop dinking ANY carbonated drink then you will see a BIG difference in your stomach, i used to have 2-3 cans of coke a day and was frutrated as i was losing weight but my stomach still lokked bloated. cut out all fizzy drinks (and chewing gum) and now my stomach is nice and flat with my abs starting to show.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    if you stop dinking ANY carbonated drink then you will see a BIG difference in your stomach, i used to have 2-3 cans of coke a day and was frutrated as i was losing weight but my stomach still lokked bloated. cut out all fizzy drinks (and chewing gum) and now my stomach is nice and flat with my abs starting to show.

This is nonsense.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have a sensitivity to the idea of artificial sweetener, it's best not to read any further. I drink coffee with artificial sweetener, iced tea with artificial sweetener, and like 5 cans of Diet Mtn Dew daily and I'm not having any issues. As an experiment I stopped drinking diet pop for like two days and I was a little less bloated in the AM until I ate one bite of food (=bloat). In my experience it doesn't make a difference. Also, you won't get cancer. I promise.