Calling all Coke Zero drinkers...

Options

Replies

• Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I drink an iced tea with 6 packs of artificial sweetener just about every day. I have a diet soda with lunch/dinner at least four times a week. I have lost 29 pounds in less than 3 months.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I've managed to lose quite a bit of weight while drinking Cherry Coke Zero and coffee with sweetner every day.
  • magerum
    Options
    if you stop dinking ANY carbonated drink then you will see a BIG difference in your stomach, i used to have 2-3 cans of coke a day and was frutrated as i was losing weight but my stomach still lokked bloated. cut out all fizzy drinks (and chewing gum) and now my stomach is nice and flat with my abs starting to show.

lolwut?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it has 0 caleries= how does it have 2 caleries when its called coke zero- wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all diet pop has 0 cals
    and fake sugar
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    the fake sugar in the diet soda causes headaches
  • magerum
    Options
    the fake sugar in the diet soda causes headaches

To the less than 1% of the population that has sensitivity to aspartame, sure.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor as well as the nutrition and diabetes management center at our hospital, the artifical sweetner isn't what causes some people issues with weight loss when drinking diet soda as much as it is the carbonation. Consumption of large quantities of diet soda can result in bloating and water retention from the carbonation.

I used to only drink diet soda - nothing else - no water or anything. I drank anywhere from 6-10 cans a day. When I quit drinking it, the swelling I always had in my feet and ankles went away completely.

And that's not from reduced sodium either - I consume a lot of sodium - I am a saltaholic. It was the carbonation causing the problems for me.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor as well as the nutrition and diabetes management center at our hospital, the artifical sweetner isn't what causes some people issues with weight loss when drinking diet soda as much as it is the carbonation. Consumption of large quantities of diet soda can result in bloating and water retention from the carbonation.

I used to only drink diet soda - nothing else - no water or anything. I drank anywhere from 6-10 cans a day. When I quit drinking it, the swelling I always had in my feet and ankles went away completely.

And that's not from reduced sodium either - I consume a lot of sodium - I am a saltaholic. It was the carbonation causing the problems for me.

fat loss and weight loss are related but different at the same time.
    If you are still utilizing more energy than you take in but retaining water. Your fat mass is still going down.

You do realize you can still take in more sodium and still retain even more water?
    It also may be the fact you arent consuming as much water as you should to flush the excess electrolytes out of your system... this is on top of being a woman(estrogen)
    Estrogen affects sodium retention..

But you consume excess sodium and you are worried about carbonation? are you kidding me?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear about the mechanism by which carbonation can cause swelling in the feet.
  • pizzaquixote
    Options
    Here's an under-reported side effect of artificial sweeteners: body odor. If you drink it every day, you are probably accustomed to whatever your own normal funk would be 16 hours since your last shower. But IF you experience good days and stinky days AND you consume aspartame occasionally, you may discover a causal link.

I don't think aspartame is deadly, but it gives me a hangover AND some other unwelcome side effects. I plan to drink water, coffee, tea, or even REAL soda when I gotta have one.

With the important caveat that the plural of anecdote is not "data" -- gather your own evidence!
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    the reason it's different is because in the US anything less than 5cals can be labelled as zero, just like all your cooking sprays.

WHHAAAATTTTT????? Not cool!! Definitely not cool! This makes me questions the accuracy of a lot more than just things under 5 calories.... what else are they lying to us about? :indifferent:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    the reason it's different is because in the US anything less than 5cals can be labelled as zero, just like all your cooking sprays.

WHHAAAATTTTT????? Not cool!! Definitely not cool! This makes me questions the accuracy of a lot more than just things under 5 calories.... what else are they lying to us about? :indifferent:

Anything with less than half a gram of trans fat can be labeled "0g trans fat."

But... seriously? Who cares? 5 calories is just noise.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here's an under-reported side effect of artificial sweeteners: body odor.

Good lord. Where do you people come up with this stuff?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Our bodies aren't meant to take in artificial sweeteners. Well our bodies are also not meant to take medication (like taking life saving antibiotics when septic, insulin injections for diabetics, chemo for cancer patients) or have surgery to correct heart problems, or to replace damaged/failing organs, etc. 

I'm sticking with my awesome artificial stuff. Scientists are smart and I've never gotten sick from eating processed/artificially made food. The earth produces tons of different toxic plants. That being said, I still eat some of the non toxic foods created by the earth. I just also eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, etc. 

There is no benefit to cutting out processed foods. IIFYM then eat it.

I'm just going to come out and say it... I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear about the mechanism by which carbonation can cause swelling in the feet.

The swelling of the feet and her problem can be related to obesity which causes poor circulation and blood pooling in the extremities. On top of obesity it can create inadequate cardiac output and cause alot of stress on the heart, hypertension can cause renal impairment.
    Renal impairment will further affect electrolyte regulation by the kidneys which can even further create a problem for sodium retention... Swelling....

heart and kidney problems go into a neverending cycle of screwing eachother over.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Please take note of my ticker.
    VVVVVVVVV

<< Also, please take note of my start date.

I've drank 3-4 coke zero's every day since I joined.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Now i know what your thinking, Not another diet Drink post!

So the last month or two I have started drinking Coke zero more than normal, I figure that I ALWAYS Want something sweet after lunch and by having a coke Zero I find my sweet craving is Cured and it also stops me from eating just for the sake of eating all for like 2 cals!

Yes i understand that the sweeteners etc aren't good for you and there is no way I'm Claiming they are.

Then Yesterday A girl I know was trying to tell me that Coke Zero has chemicals in it that stall weight loss or can cause weight gain.

How can something with 2 cals per can cause weight gain?

I did some research and The only thing I could find was that The sweeteners can Cause people to over eat, I couldn't find anything to say that Coke zero its self will make you gain weight!

Then I realized that since i have started drinking it I haven't lost any weight! I'm not sure if its me being Paranoid, its the coke zero Or its because I'm almost at my goal and My weight loss has slowed.

Has anyone Here lost weight etc while drinking Diet Drinks? Can anyone explain Why she is trying to tell me this?

I drink diet pop and have never had any problems losing or maintaining my weight.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Now i know what your thinking, Not another diet Drink post!

So the last month or two I have started drinking Coke zero more than normal, I figure that I ALWAYS Want something sweet after lunch and by having a coke Zero I find my sweet craving is Cured and it also stops me from eating just for the sake of eating all for like 2 cals!

Yes i understand that the sweeteners etc aren't good for you and there is no way I'm Claiming they are.

Then Yesterday A girl I know was trying to tell me that Coke Zero has chemicals in it that stall weight loss or can cause weight gain.

How can something with 2 cals per can cause weight gain?

I did some research and The only thing I could find was that The sweeteners can Cause people to over eat, I couldn't find anything to say that Coke zero its self will make you gain weight!

Then I realized that since i have started drinking it I haven't lost any weight! I'm not sure if its me being Paranoid, its the coke zero Or its because I'm almost at my goal and My weight loss has slowed.

Has anyone Here lost weight etc while drinking Diet Drinks? Can anyone explain Why she is trying to tell me this?

Been drinking it for years, and I lost more than my original goal, so I would say it is ok to do it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ive also been drinking on avg 2-5 cans a day of coke zero, cherry coke zero and diet coke since I started over a year ago, and the only side effect I find is just being a little more bloated after drinking them, and getting some stitches if I drink it too close to working out. Ur fine... dont worry about it.