giving up alcohol

Options

Replies

• Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I gave up my two bottles of wine a week. It wasn't really hard.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Give it up?

Hell, I'm drunk right now.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've been at both ends of the spectrum.
    When I lived in my fraternity house I was probably annihilated about 6 days per week.
    I've gone months without drinking.

Right now I'm not really drinking because i'm being rather strict with my diet. I never found that I "needed" to drink.
    Usually when I go out it's couple jack+diets. After a close call with a DUI a few years ago on NYE I'm deathly afraid of getting one.

Here's a conversation I had with a woman at a bar:

She was talking about how she was a nurse in the liver transplant unit.
    Me: Well you're working your way onto the list!
    Her: I'm not an alcoholic.
    Me: You know denial is the first stage.
    Her: Yeah that's what they told me at AA. Now the ironic part is she was 100% serious, she spent the next 5 minutes telling me about AA.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I've been watching my weight since I was 8 years old and never got too big . . . until I moved to the UK. If something good happens, everyone goes to the pub. If something bad happens, everyone goes to the pub. If nothing's happening, everyone goes to the pub. If something's going to happen, then everyone goes to the pub first . . . I got fat. I didn't realize until I started tracking it how much I was drinking!

Now I'm back in the US where I have to drive everywhere, so I usually don't drink at all and if I do, only one or two. I'm a size 4 again and I feel a lot better too.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Oh no. No way. To me its part of life and I just deal with it. I watch the calories and its no different than anything else. M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N. But its your choice. If you like to drink, then I wouldn't try to give it up. If its no big deal to you, then quit. I have lost weight while drinking, but I am a pretty moderate drinker. Your call.
  • BJMcCray
    BJMcCray Posts: 1
    Options
    - My husband and I are very social and our circle of friends party pretty hard. Of course, we're all always talking about our diet needs, losing weight, and getting healthier. ;o) We've cut back a lot, for financial and health reasons, tho. We drink moderately to heavy 2-3 times a month, but like you - all of our progress from good eating and working out goes down the toilette for the next day or three following a night of partying. What I've done to cut back on the other affects I get from drinking (bloat, water retention, cravings for carbs, etc) is change what I drink. Tom (hubby) likes to drink Crown and Coke Zero or Sprite Zero. I drink Pinot Grigio wine over ice, cut with lime seltzer water or Sprite zero and a squeeze of lime. It keeps me hydrated, produces a slow and steady buzz, I never get 'drunk', but still enjoy the affects of a cocktail. I've turned some of my friends onto it, too. Sometimes I make it in big batches and put it in a drink dispenser. :o) If I stick with this, i'm rarely if ever bloated in the AM, am never hung-over, and don't crave as many sweet and salty carbs the next day. If you're drinking 'out', this may be more difficult. I sometimes have they bring me 'set ups - a glass of Sprite (they rarely have diet sprite or sprite zero), a glass of white wine, and a big glass of nothing but ice. Then I mix it myself. I never drink beer, margaritas, sweet drinks like Colorado Bulldogs (unless I'm on vacation) anymore. Those are the kiss of death for me and any weightloss issues...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For me, it was completely normal to have 3 or so beers/ glasses of wine per night as a wind down after work. I've turned exercise after work into my "wind down" period, and alcohol has become a separate treat. I enjoy 1-2 drinks maybe twice a week now. I feel so much better! It was difficult at first, because I felt like I needed something to turn my brain off after a rough day at the office, or to fill up the time between dinner and bed. I've switched to tea or kombucha, and it's really working for me. Good luck!

I've also really noticed that the days that I drink turn into the days that I snack and go over on my calories. When I'm not drinking, I don't find it hard at all to stay within my calories. I'm sure it's what's gotten me into this situation I'm in now (overweight). Food for thought.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my weight since I was 8 years old and never got too big . . . until I moved to the UK. If something good happens, everyone goes to the pub. If something bad happens, everyone goes to the pub. If nothing's happening, everyone goes to the pub. If something's going to happen, then everyone goes to the pub first . . . I got fat. I didn't realize until I started tracking it how much I was drinking!

Now I'm back in the US where I have to drive everywhere, so I usually don't drink at all and if I do, only one or two. I'm a size 4 again and I feel a lot better too.

yeah the US is known for it's handle on obesity....
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol 5 months ago after 15 years of regular drinking. Its still messing with my weight loss and health. I initially lost a few pounds after changing diet and cutting it out, but I think it did something to my metabolism and I'm finding weight loss very difficult. I'm trying to kick it into high gear with Jilian Michael's 30 Day Shred just to push through.

I personally believe you can give it up the entire month and still allow some drinks on rare occasions. I had to go through some recovery programs to get to the point I could put it down. Drinking for me is very subtle and deceptively casual, and can turn into a hefty daily habit.

Besides, drinking halts the entire fat burning process because its so toxic on your body. It takes like 4 hours to clear out the toxic effect from one drink.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I drank a TON. That's where my weight gain came from. Now I can't even finish half of a beer. Since I haven't been drinking and changed my diet I've been able to lose weight. (I also have two kids under two..)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    When I was in Crossfit they said I could still have alcohol, but clear alcohol - it's supposedly healthier for you (well, compared to everything else).

There said get some vodka, water it down a little unless it's the good stuff, and juice a lemon/lime/orange, etc. It's better than all those sugary fruit juices!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    hi ive gone nesrly two weeks without alcohol, i normally drink once a week but binge drink and pay for it for days on end and my fitness and eating go out the window!!!
    my family and friends are always drinking at social events or on weekend
    has anyone else given up alchol? was it hard

please share your experiences with me thank you

I just want to say Im proud of you, even tho I don't know you.
    Binge Drinking is serious and dangerous.
    It's not hard to overcome. Try AA
    I have been sober for 1 year.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I quit alcohol September of 2011.....I haven't regretted a day of it.

But I was a really bad drinker...I can't do moderation with alcohol, and I would end up blacked out, passed out, or some other such nonsense.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Its not something I'd like to part with... for me its about working it into my life. I drink usually 1 night a week (2 if we have a poker party) and I make sure that I have enough calories usually in that day, if not then it balances out for the week. People have their cheat days that keep them sane, I have this! lol

ETA - sailor & diet... just a few more days and I get to go out and have some fun having a couple of drinks, shooting pool & dancing.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am a big binge drinker!! When i binge drink my eating is way out of control and i end up gaining weight or not losing. I had to really make a committment for one month to not drink at all! I lost 7lbs. That was motivation for me. I am the type of person that I cannot stop at one drink so I dont drink at all. I dont keep wine in the house and I have not had wine in the house since January of this year. Now I am trying to learn to just have one or two drinks and then STOP!!!!!

It is all mental and making the decision to not drink or finding a balance!

Good Luck!
  • hellza
    hellza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just have to put it out there - I have now had 5 days with NO alcohol or cigs!! Hasn't been particularly easy, but you know what, it hasn't really been that hard either.
    I have already noticed how much better my breathing is (I am also exercising daily - that is something new). I also don't miss seeing 3am every morning after drinking a few too many wines (or bottles).
    I used to drink mostly between 5pm to, well, to whenever the wine ran out. So I do start to get a bit (ok alot) cranky around then, but I'm just trying to fake it till I make it and pretend to calm and happy - and if I can't, then I give myself some time out in my bedroom reading about other people's success to keep me motivated. Everyone has had to learn quickly that it is in their best interests to give me this time.
    Anyway, just had to share, I am quite pleased with me, even if it is only early days. Oh and I've lost 3kgs!!
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    I am a big binge drinker!! When i binge drink my eating is way out of control and i end up gaining weight or not losing. I had to really make a committment for one month to not drink at all! I lost 7lbs. That was motivation for me. I am the type of person that I cannot stop at one drink so I dont drink at all. I dont keep wine in the house and I have not had wine in the house since January of this year. Now I am trying to learn to just have one or two drinks and then STOP!!!!!

It is all mental and making the decision to not drink or finding a balance!

Good Luck!
    This is my issue - I cannot stop at one or two. Then I eat. I would not even mind if I had more to drink but did not binge. It does not work. AARRGGHHH
  • HealthyDreamy
    HealthyDreamy Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That is sooo true and really made me laugh - being a Londoner lol ;0)
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this because I really LIKE alcohol. I like the way it tastes, and I'm happy when I'm buzzing. I don't drink every day, but if I lived nearer to my friends ( I moved across the country for grad school) I probably would. I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but I definitely do abuse it every once in a while. When I do drink I often stick to low calorie drinks like whiskey on the rocks, but I love the taste of a fancy cocktail or a good beer. The other day my gf and I went to a tasting/tour of a Sam Adams brewery and then spent the rest of the day exploring and drinking pints. I had to record 700 calories in beer later that night...yikes!! But still, we had a really great time and I'd probably do the same all over again. Can somebody please magically find a way to take calories out of booze?!
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just have to put it out there - I have now had 5 days with NO alcohol or cigs!! Hasn't been particularly easy, but you know what, it hasn't really been that hard either.
    I have already noticed how much better my breathing is (I am also exercising daily - that is something new). I also don't miss seeing 3am every morning after drinking a few too many wines (or bottles).
    I used to drink mostly between 5pm to, well, to whenever the wine ran out. So I do start to get a bit (ok alot) cranky around then, but I'm just trying to fake it till I make it and pretend to calm and happy - and if I can't, then I give myself some time out in my bedroom reading about other people's success to keep me motivated. Everyone has had to learn quickly that it is in their best interests to give me this time.
    Anyway, just had to share, I am quite pleased with me, even if it is only early days. Oh and I've lost 3kgs!!

Good for you!!