Replies

• jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Broncosfan3
    Broncosfan3 Posts: 20
    Options
    Lots of alcoholism in my family so I have a personal hate for the stuff. Nothing more red neck than someone walking around with a beer in their hands. But please keep in mind I'm not preaching...just giving my two cents worth to the question.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I really had to if I seriously wanted to drop weight. My drinking would lead to bad eating choices and would feel bad about it in the morning. I couldn't justify the calories. It was a little hard at first but i did it.
  • rtarpley
    rtarpley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit all alcohol 12 years ago when my kids were old enough to take notice. It was the BEST decision I ever made. My personality improved, my health improved, and I never had to tell my kids to not do something that I was doing.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Its not really hard. It can change your sleeping pattern for a few days but you get over it.
  • geoffreyhancockstr
    geoffreyhancockstr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit, but have done a serious cut-back, and I am much better because of that decision. I now only buy really good wine, scotch or very low calorie beer, and only have it once in awhile. I was destressing using alcohol, now I use exercise, which works much better! Alcohol does a number on your ability to lose weight, at least for me anyway.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    - My husband and I are very social and our circle of friends party pretty hard. Of course, we're all always talking about our diet needs, losing weight, and getting healthier. ;o) We've cut back a lot, for financial and health reasons, tho. We drink moderately to heavy 2-3 times a month, but like you - all of our progress from good eating and working out goes down the toilette for the next day or three following a night of partying. What I've done to cut back on the other affects I get from drinking (bloat, water retention, cravings for carbs, etc) is change what I drink. Tom (hubby) likes to drink Crown and Coke Zero or Sprite Zero. I drink Pinot Grigio wine over ice, cut with lime seltzer water or Sprite zero and a squeeze of lime. It keeps me hydrated, produces a slow and steady buzz, I never get 'drunk', but still enjoy the affects of a cocktail. I've turned some of my friends onto it, too. Sometimes I make it in big batches and put it in a drink dispenser. :o) If I stick with this, i'm rarely if ever bloated in the AM, am never hung-over, and don't crave as many sweet and salty carbs the next day. If you're drinking 'out', this may be more difficult. I sometimes have they bring me 'set ups - a glass of Sprite (they rarely have diet sprite or sprite zero), a glass of white wine, and a big glass of nothing but ice. Then I mix it myself. I never drink beer, margaritas, sweet drinks like Colorado Bulldogs (unless I'm on vacation) anymore. Those are the kiss of death for me and any weightloss issues...
    Ohh, I like this idea. Gonna have to remember this little combo!
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of the people on this post, I, too, can easily drink an entire bottle of wine, with no "hangover" the next day. And I agree, that probably isn't good or normal. How on earth did my body adjust to that (no, it isn't an everyday thing, but usually once a week)? I have tried/am trying to limit myself in stages, starting with one glass of wine a day, then one every other day, then only on Fridays, etc.

If anyone wants to friend me to try that tactic together, I am all for it. I had no idea how hard it could be. I am convinced my lack of weight loss, yet increase in fitness and cardio levels is direct result of my drinking. I don't drink soda ever. So it is usually water, wine and coffee (once a day). I am trying to get back into the military (my weight was the reason I chose to seperate) and I gotta lose 40lbs by the end of October to not have to go back through the health screening.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I cut alcohol just recently after my thyroid started making me ill when I drank I would swell and get super drunk and sick off just one drink so had to stop but it's helped with my weight loss.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol too. For probably the next few months (minus a couple of key days: birthday, memorial weekend camping trip, etc.)

I did the same thing a few years ago and I found it easier after the first few weeks of not drinking; especially if I didn't go out much. It was a lot harder when I was in the company of friends and they were drinking. It gets easier though.

I also don't drink very often to begin with....very occasional weeks when I drink multiple nights in a row (1-2 glasses of wine per night). But typically I only drink once per week anyway.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have for the most part given it up. I have an occasional (once a month, maybe) glass or two of wine but do not drink at home and rarely even when I'm out. I went out with a group from work a couple of weeks ago and would normally have had 4-6 drinks and maybe a shot or two and all I drank was water. I didn't miss the alcohol at all and didn't feel pressured by others to have it. I didn't offer excuses for not drinking, I just chose not to drink. I found it was harder when I felt like I needed to justify why I wasn't drinking so I decided it really wasn't anyone's business whether I drank or not. I just order water and go about enjoying the party. If someone has a problem with that, it's their problem, not mine.
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Some of us MFP folks who have similar issues chat in a group called "You Booze, You Snooze."

I gave it up October 13, 2013. Now if I can only give up sugar.......
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol for religious reasons. Like you, I was a weekend binge drinker as well. It wasn't hard to stop, but socially it was rough going at first, especially when all my friends were drinking around me. But real friends will support you if you choose not to drink anymore. It takes a little while for your body to remember how to have fun without being drunk.

Health wise, I feel so much better. I had more energy, was getting better sleep, and naturally became better hydrated as my body learned to readjust itself after years of being so badly poisoned.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I gave it up October 13, 2013. Now if I can only give up sugar.......

Are you from the future?
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to drink quite a bit. Got into craft beers. Have a stupid high tolerance. In the end it didn't do anything for me except take lots of money.

So I'm keeping the monies now. All of them.
  • foxyv069
    foxyv069 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am 25 days sober :) I also binged but twice a week. And as with your any diet plans go out the window. So I sobered up (not bc of the diet but bc of other things) and i find it quite easy! once you get a couple of weeks under your belt you feel so proud. Dont forget to brag and get your high fives, that helps a great deal, too! I put on FB almost every day "22 days sober" "23 days sober" and so on and the response if very encouraging! Good luck to you. Add me if you need and we can be sober and skinny together!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i don't really drink, and it means i see my friends a lot less (i'm college aged in a college town).

it sucks, but my health is very important to me, so i just keep saying no to happy hours/downtown events, and say yes when they want to go hiking or bbq!
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I used to binge drink, a lot. I have nearly given up alcohol and I have lost a lot of friends, but I also feel much happier. You can do it!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    hi ive gone nesrly two weeks without alcohol, i normally drink once a week but binge drink and pay for it for days on end and my fitness and eating go out the window!!!
    my family and friends are always drinking at social events or on weekend
    has anyone else given up alchol? was it hard

please share your experiences with me thank you
    I stopped for two solid months just to see if I could do it and for the experience. It wasn't too hard but with a week to go in my experiment, I was ready for it to be over!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I quit alcohol September of 2011.....I haven't regretted a day of it.

But I was a really bad drinker...I can't do moderation with alcohol, and I would end up blacked out, passed out, or some other such nonsense.

January 2012, and I'm grateful every day that I did. I've never been happier or healthier.