whats 'wrong' with too much cardio?

Options

Replies

• tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight (fat and muscle), diet in a caloric deficit.

If you want to lose BODY FAT, lift weights. Squats, lunges, deadlifts are the magic three recommended for body recomposition and prevention of loss of lean body mass in a caloric deficit.

If you want to BUILD MUSCLE, lift weights in a caloric surplus.

Cardio just helps build a deficit and strengthens your lungs and heart. It doesn't really do much for lean body mass retention in a deficit, and it doesn't do much muscle building in a surplus.

That said, I do full-body resistance for 30-60 minutes and then run 5-10k a few times a week.

I like your routine. Why not do both! I think I might try this. I love to run, and just need to work on adding in lifting. 30 mins seems doable.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Don't get stuck on the number the scale sez. If 150 fits in a size 4 who cares if it is a 150. People who lift look better in their clothes. Ditch the scale and get a very tight pair of jeans to measure your progress.

I really like this idea of the jeans. I often think my scale is broken because I just cant fathom why I havent lost when I fit in to certain items of clothing better.

Me too! I've been adding to the charity pile for 4 weeks but not really shifted weight OR inches.:noway:
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    In the rare instance cardio builds muscle, it is because the person went from doing nothing to cardio.
    The body is always adapting. very soon you're burning less calories doing the same workout, for the same length of time and intensity. This is within weeks if it's a new activity.

The only way to build muscle is with progressive strength training on a slight calorie surplus.
    The rare person who is building muscle while on a deficit is both a complete noobie to lifting and overly fat.
    It is much easier for the fat person to lose fat and keep muscle, than the lean person.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio junkie and having a hard time finding my way into the lifting end of things. I do the circuit or do weight machines sometimes...but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. My current weight is not unhealthy by any means, but I do want to change my body composition.

Any advice on that topic is appreciated, by the way, just send me a message.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I train to be an athlete, not a fitness model.

I do it all.

Lift heavy weights and less reps
    Lift light weights and more reps
    Sprint
    Run half marathons (eventually a full, working on it ;)
    Run 5ks and 10ks
    Plyometrics (Markety beachbody psuedo kind)
    Plyometrics (Motha Rrrrussia kind)
    Circuit Training
    Push ups and pull ups
    Abs
    Yoga (sometimes)
    Overspeed training (Parachute runs, etc.)
    Run uphill
    Run downhill
    Play sports
    Etc., etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio junkie and having a hard time finding my way into the lifting end of things. I do the circuit or do weight machines sometimes...but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. My current weight is not unhealthy by any means, but I do want to change my body composition.

Any advice on that topic is appreciated, by the way, just send me a message.

The book New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good resource for understanding all of the various concepts and how they apply to women. Even if you don't follow that lifting program to a T, it's a good place to start. Others like Stronglifts 5 x 5 or Starting Strength.
  • shanetyas
    shanetyas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ...using your existing fat and convert it to muscle, i like that too, eating protein supplements is a bit of a no no for me. as i want tight lean muscle with good definition and minor bulk, not watery mass that deflats after a few weeks away from the gym...
    Your plan is to not eat protein and convert your fat into muscle. Are you a Wizard or a Warlock?

neither of those, just take note that i dont want to eat PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS such as musacha, creatin etc etc, i want to build muscle with the protein in my diet, and not be reliant on other sources, mainly due to cost, as well as the ability to sustain the build im earning naturally over a long period of time.

im not in a rush to build bulk, nor to achieve huge bulk results, and from what i can tell, without all those supplements im not likely to look like a wrestler anytime soon :D
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    ...using your existing fat and convert it to muscle, i like that too, eating protein supplements is a bit of a no no for me. as i want tight lean muscle with good definition and minor bulk, not watery mass that deflats after a few weeks away from the gym...
    Your plan is to not eat protein and convert your fat into muscle. Are you a Wizard or a Warlock?

didnt know you could turn fat into muscle... i thought they were two different tissues. must be using magic
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI...muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle and one pound of fat both are one pound. :smile:

This is a logic trap. Nothing weighs more than anything else when you measure it all by equal weights. Of course, nothing is scientifically measured this way. Everything has a weight by volume and a specific gravity. So, muscle does weigh more than fat as the specific gravity is higher.

1. The density of mammalian skeletal muscle is 1.06 g/ml.
    "... 1.06 g/cm-3 which is the density of mammalian skeletal muscle"

2. The density of fat (adipose tissue) is about 0.9 g/ml
    "...by multiplying the density of adipose tissue (0.9196 g/ml)"

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1392.full

THANK YOU! It drive me crazy this 'muscle weighs the same as fat cause a pound is a pound' crap. That would mean that toothpicks weigh the same as bricks, cause 20 pounds of toothpicks weighs the same as 20 pounds of bricks
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! It drive me crazy this 'muscle weighs the same as fat cause a pound is a pound' crap. That would mean that toothpicks weigh the same as bricks, cause 20 pounds of toothpicks weighs the same as 20 pounds of bricks

ZOMG no. what the heck?

20 pounds of toothpick = 20 pounds of bricks

20 tooth picks does NOT equal 20 bricks. Obviously 20 toothpicks would weight a few oz and 20 bricks would weigh many many many pounds.

you need to go back to highschool
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

ZOMG no. what the heck?

20 tooth picks does NOT equal 20 bricks. Obviously 20 toothpicks would weight a few oz and 20 bricks would weigh many many many pounds.

Yes, 20 pounds of toothpicks DOES equal 20 pounds of bricks.
    Of course there are going to be a heck of a lot more toothpicks to make them weight that much. just like you have to have more volume of fat to equal the weight of the same poundage of muscle..
  • BigMan1979
    BigMan1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

ZOMG no. what the heck?

"you need to go back to highschool" Well...It would appear as though you need the remedial training here. Might I suggest reading comprehension?
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am always torn on this subject. I weighed 380 pounds initially, when i got down to 191 pounds I had 147 pounds of lean mass. I did not lose a lot of lean mass from the cardio, in fact when I had my DEXA scan they told me my level of lean mass was one of the highest they had ever seen. I had been a cardio machine and only done "resistance" one to two times per week and I doubt any of it was heavy lifting. I did lots of les mills classes, walking, and functional/body weight work. So whilst its a common thread on MFP about lifting heavy im not convinced myself in all honesty. I tried to get into heavy lifting and really couldnt do it. I get that a lot have success with heavy lifting but just cannot convince myself that it will get the results for myself. I think do activity you enjoy, most important thing (in my opinion) is just to lead a active life whatever you do.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

The problem with chronic cardio is that your body will build/develop the bare minimal muscle it requires to move your feet one foot in front of the other- or one foot up the stairs if you're into steppers.

Cardio - cardiovascular. so once you have the minimal muscularture to do the actual MOVEMENT- all you are training is your cardiovascular system- you know- your heart and lungs.

you are training 0 muscles.

muscles continue to burn energy all day- so more muscles -more burn. I bet you if you started weight lifting you'd see a lot of improvement fairly quickly.

The heart is practically all muscle and you want to work that your entire life.
    There's nothing "wrong" with cardio.
    It is always good for you.
    You just may want to incorporate other activities to achieve goals.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI...muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle and one pound of fat both are one pound. :smile:

This is a logic trap. Nothing weighs more than anything else when you measure it all by equal weights. Of course, nothing is scientifically measured this way. Everything has a weight by volume and a specific gravity. So, muscle does weigh more than fat as the specific gravity is higher.

1. The density of mammalian skeletal muscle is 1.06 g/ml.
    "... 1.06 g/cm-3 which is the density of mammalian skeletal muscle"

2. The density of fat (adipose tissue) is about 0.9 g/ml
    "...by multiplying the density of adipose tissue (0.9196 g/ml)"

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1392.full

YES INDEED. 150 lbs of muscle is going to look a lot smaller than 150 lbs of fat.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Isn't either to just say muscle is more dense, sure, but it doesn't sound as good to a person losing weight. Grammar Tards need to feel good about themselves so this is what we get.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I am always torn on this subject. I weighed 380 pounds initially, when i got down to 191 pounds I had 147 pounds of lean mass. I did not lose a lot of lean mass from the cardio, in fact when I had my DEXA scan they told me my level of lean mass was one of the highest they had ever seen. I had been a cardio machine and only done "resistance" one to two times per week and I doubt any of it was heavy lifting. I did lots of les mills classes, walking, and functional/body weight work. So whilst its a common thread on MFP about lifting heavy im not convinced myself in all honesty. I tried to get into heavy lifting and really couldnt do it. I get that a lot have success with heavy lifting but just cannot convince myself that it will get the results for myself. I think do activity you enjoy, most important thing (in my opinion) is just to lead a active life whatever you do.

Agreed. I've given up saying so because people don't like it if you lose weight and are fit without "lifting heavy", and then insist you'e not really fit.:wink:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    i was thinking of upping my cardio, however from reading several recent success stories many people have converted from cardio to heavy lifting.

i think i have my idea wrong (pls someone out there correct me!) but i thought it was necessary to do cardio to get to my goal weight (135lbs-140lbs i am currently 152lb) then start lifting and weight training to tone up.

im really scared of starting weight lifting now because i really don't wont to put on any more muscle (which will make me heavier as muscle weighs more then fat- i know that!) before i have lost the weight i need. i actually have a quite a bit of muscle its just surrounded by flab!!

i currently run twice a week for about 4km and horse ride for 40-60mins twice a week. and i eat about about 1500-1600 kcals

would doing more cardio help my weight loss or not?

You can keep the cardio AND lift. Lifting will give you the muscles and yes, you will gain weight but it won't be flab weight. You say that your 'muscles' are surrounded by flab so why wouldn't you want to lift to get rid of that flab?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    no, cardio and lifting heavy won't help you lose weight at all. Only eating at a deficit.

Right now you are dropping pounds of fat and muscle. The only way to put on muscle is to eat at a surplus. If you continue on your journey here is what is likely to happen.

1) your going to reach your goal and have a lot of endurance. yeah!
    2) you aren't going to be happy with your body compesition
    3) you want to tone up with 3 - 5lb weights and zumba
    4) it doesn't work so you lift heavy
    5) now you have to eat at a surplus to build up muscle and gain 10 pounds
    6) cut and drop some body fat% because you started lifting the number on the scale doesn't mean anything to you anymore.
    7) post before and after pics of how hot you are
    8) Troll mfp boards / poptarts and ice cream

you can skip a lot of this if you just go right to lifting heavy. Keep doing cardio too! I do both I love my runs.

This is awesome!! ^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^